Talk

Advanced search

Running shoes for a (skint) novice

(17 Posts)
changeforthebetter Sun 23-Feb-14 12:06:36

Hi,

I am average height and build and have what Runner's World call normal feet.

I want to do some running but can't spend a fortune on shoes. RW suggested a pair at £90 which is out of my league.

Any runners have any more moderate suggestions?

TIA thanks

likeneverbefore Sun 23-Feb-14 12:09:05

I like New Balance.

I have these and run about 12 miles a week in them and they do me just fine smile

likeneverbefore Sun 23-Feb-14 12:10:37

(p.s I have spent around £100 on running shoes before which I had properly fitted in a running shop - I can't say they were any better than the ones I have now)

Joules68 Sun 23-Feb-14 12:12:14

£90 running shoes are often discounted to half price simply because they are last seasons design. This is what I usually buy

MandMand Sun 23-Feb-14 12:53:31

Have a look in TK Maxx or Sports Direct for last seasons style of big brand trainers - I got some £90 running trainers for £18 in TKMaxx.

TwittyMcTwitterson Sun 23-Feb-14 17:05:01

I bought some Adidas ones that are white and purple. They're £35 in little woods. Really good. Sorry but not got a name for them

lljkk Sun 23-Feb-14 17:26:21

Sports Direct near us was doing a terrific sale recently on Karrimor, incredibly lightweight runners shoes (we got a pair for DS doing Xcountry). Worth checking for. They claimed mark down from £120 to £30... I don't know whether to remotely believe that markdown, but they are definitely much better than usual £30 trainers.

overmydeadbody Sun 23-Feb-14 17:29:23

Sports Direct are brilliant for last season's shoes, they have a whole section of proper running shoes (not just trainers) and range from £20 up. Also, if you know your size and which make you like (I know Nike shoes always fit me for example) you can try some on in the shops and then look for last year's model online in the sales for a fraction of the price.

ContinentalKat Sun 23-Feb-14 17:34:53

I second sports direct, they have different categories (normal, flat and high arched feet iirc), and if you are not that fussy about styles or having the latest model you'll be able to find a good shoe there.

I never spend more than 40£, I think nhs couch to 5k also have some advice on shoes on their website.

suntvandme Sun 23-Feb-14 18:54:34

What size are you if your 5.5 or below check out asics kids range under 30 and exact same as adults but small size

MelanieCheeks Sun 23-Feb-14 18:56:56

Is there a discount outlet mall near you? Brands like nike often heavily discount their stuff at places like that.

Poppins27 Sun 23-Feb-14 19:03:56

Like previously mentioned, I got my Nikes from an outlet at half the marked price as they were 'so last season'. 40 quid and I love them!! My partner swears by Sports Direct too.

CrispyCrochet Sun 23-Feb-14 19:13:49

Sportsshoes.com is great. The search function is brilliant & the prices are great. Highly recommend it. They are often doing 10% off & if you use any of those cash back websites sportsshoes normally appears.

changeforthebetter Sun 23-Feb-14 19:16:53

Thanks everyone smile

AmberNectarine Mon 24-Feb-14 08:59:40

Agree, I got my Nikes at an outlet - last seasons RRP was. £125, I paid a little over £40.

RufflingFeathers Thu 27-Feb-14 19:47:31

Even cheaper than that is ebay !! I got a pair of Saucony (a model that is now a few years old) for £25 new. I just re-bought a pair that I bought 5yrs ago for £80++. Returns policy are good - it's not the latest range of colours/styles, but v.vgood trainers.
Certainly better than the Karrimor I was conned into buying at Sports Direct - absolute waste of money, still got the scars from the blisters !!

Daisyjane12 Fri 28-Feb-14 18:45:09

Try sweatshops sale, if you ask they might give an extra discount

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now