Talk

Advanced search

New hiking boots - recommendations please.

(14 Posts)
restinggenius Thu 13-Feb-14 22:21:19

My 6 yr old Karrimor boots are done.
I'm doing a 40 mile endurance walk in June (the Lyke Wake Walk) and need some new boots.
I want them to be lightweight, high enough for ankle support, decent sole (vibram), and good for wide buniony feet.
Any suggestions?
Thank you.

JeanSeberg Thu 13-Feb-14 22:31:05

What's your budget? People in my walking club swear by Meindl but they are £150+.

I've just bought Karrimor from Sports Direct, hoping I won't regret it.

Anypants Thu 13-Feb-14 22:36:32

Hi-Tec do a really good range - I have a pair and they are really comfy, lightweight and Vibram. And not too £££

Rooble Thu 13-Feb-14 22:42:31

German ones such as Scarpa tend to accommodate wide feet well. Not cheap though, but mine have lasted years (get a lot of use).

Beehatch Thu 13-Feb-14 22:44:33

I swear by Berghaus, but that may just be my feet!

Wolfiefan Thu 13-Feb-14 22:48:37

I bought an amazing Meindl pair in the Go Outdoors sale in the New Year. Light but supportive. Hadn't had any for 7 years as I knackered my ankle and couldn't find any that were comfy.

Springcleanish Thu 13-Feb-14 22:52:14

Altberg, a British company, variety of width fittings, really lightweight and comfortable. They are lovely.

restinggenius Thu 13-Feb-14 22:53:39

Thanks everyone.
Are Hi-Tec any good? I have an aversion to Hi-Tec but not sure why.

Budget is as little as possible, preferably <£100.
I'm hankering after Meindls or Scarpas but can't justify the pricetag.

I liked my Karrimors but they've gotten very 'hard' over the years so now they're a bit like bricks on my feet!

I want them to be light cause I'll be walking for 20ish hours in June, but I also want them to see me through many many weekends of other walks.

I went to Go Outdoors yesterday and they had Soloman 3d comets reduced to £83 but the reviews aren't brilliant.

Beehatch they had a few Berghaus too which were really light but seemed quite high above the ankle - I need to try them on.

restinggenius Thu 13-Feb-14 22:55:08

I've never heard of Altberg - I'll check them out, thank you.

JeanSeberg Fri 14-Feb-14 09:56:36

I haven't heard of Altberg either:

www.altberg.co.uk/

By the way, it's good to meet some fellow walkers. I go out twice a month with a club based in the South Lakes.

OP - your Lyke Wake Walk sounds good.

Do you all go out with clubs/walking holidays etc?

Only1scoop Fri 14-Feb-14 09:59:48

Op the Saloman ones are ace. I've got thosesmile

greenhill Fri 14-Feb-14 10:14:42

I like my Karrimors, you can buy gel heel support pads in Sports Direct too. Mine do 3 hours a day back and forth to school etc.

Any tips on keeping my laces done up? I double knot but they are rounded and undo regularly.

OberonTheHopeful Fri 14-Feb-14 12:19:08

A friend of mine recently recommended Zamberlan when I mentioned I was looking for some new boots (so I haven't yet tried them myself). He's had his for twenty years, though he's very fastidious about cleaning and maintaining them grin.

restinggenius Fri 14-Feb-14 18:11:10

The Alt-bergs are really nice. Thanks for the link JeanSeberg. And made in Yorkshire! But more than I can afford sad
The Zamberlans are a bit easier on the pocket - I will research further on those.

Only1scoop thank you - I really like the look of the Salomons but the reviews on the GoOutdoors website all complain about the (lack of) waterproofing. But I guess people with an issue are more likely to write a review - there are probably hundreds more customers who are perfectly happy with their purchase.

Greenhill I know no lace secrets other than double knots. Sorry.

JeanSeberg I'm not in a walking club but DH and I know lots of like-minded people who like camping, walking beautiful countryside. The Lyke wake walk I'm doing with colleagues who did it a few years ago but I wasn't free to do it with them then. I'm really looking forward to it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now