Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone done pole lessons?

(8 Posts)
FirstLoveMama Tue 11-Feb-14 09:31:41

I'm wanting to start them as it think they'd be great to help tone up and slim down!

I currently run 2-3 times a week and I'm getting a little bored.

What was your first lesson like?
I'm a little nervous as I had a baby in September and I'm a bit wobbly! I'm a size 12-14 and I feel a bit insecure as you have to wear tiny shorts for the lesson I think?!

Hi

I have been poling for four years and still remember my first class really well.

I loved it from the first lesson although at this stage you will be learning the basic spins so shouldn't need to wear shorts just yet although your studio may be different.

Be prepared for lots of bruises and after the first lesson your arms and shoulders will hurt....maybe a lot....but it's a good pain, the sign of a good workout.

Any questions, just message me, I love talking pole smile

FirstLoveMama Tue 11-Feb-14 13:54:35

Thankyou for your reply!

Yes I have heard about the bruises haha! grin
It looks so much fun!

I'd like to not have to wear shorts just yet haha!

Are there many people who aren't slim and toned who go? I feel a little embarrassed! I had a baby in September so still a little wobbly grin

Of course, pole is for all shapes and sizes. It's a great hobby and such fun smile

FirstLoveMama Tue 11-Feb-14 14:12:06

I can just imagine turning up and there's all these beautiful people swinging round poles looking amazing haha grin

But that's good to know it's for anyone! I'd be so embarrassed if everyone was size 8 apart from me blush

TrucksAndDinosaurs Tue 11-Feb-14 14:13:20

A good way to start preparing is to build press ups and planks into your life as so much of pole depends on upper body and core strength. You will feel safer and progress faster if you can hold a plank for 45+ seconds and do a set of press ups, preferably full ones but starting with kneeling ones is fine. The 30 day shred DVD is good for quickly building strength in just 20 min a day.

Look for a studio with mirrors, several poles and small classes, teaching pole fitness rather than pole dance if you want to focus on the strength and fitness aspect. A good teacher should ask you to attend a basic safety lesson first and check for injuries or niggles. They should warm you up, stretch you down and build in some conditioning like holding the pole kneeling down and pulling yourself up off the ground activating your core and lats.

Find an instructor who you click with as you need to feel safe and not silly!

Yoga or running gear and bare feet is usually ok for beginners: as you get more advanced you need bare thighs and shoulders to grip the pole. Pole can be done by all shapes and sizes and tones you up fast, especially if you continue the conditioning work at home.

It's very addictive!

goodasitgets Fri 14-Feb-14 19:11:43

smile Size 16 poler here! My strength has improved so so quickly, I felt a bit disheartened after the first lesson even though I enjoyed it as I felt crap grin
I absolutely adore it and it fits in well with gym classes (as in increasing strength and flexibility)

MamaPingu Sat 15-Feb-14 18:32:58

I am also interested in pole and I'm around a size 12 too but a short one!
Nice to see that it isn't just extremely slim people who do it smile

I'm also going to take note of those tips from the other poster

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now