Talk

Advanced search

adult swimming lessons - anyone tried them? 1-2-1 or group?

(7 Posts)
Urbanvoltaire Sun 09-Feb-14 17:04:39

I've been swimming the last few weekends with DS and really enjoyed it. I do find it quite hard work though after a few lengths and the only stroke I really do is breast-stroke with a bit of back crawl. Has anyone tried adult lessons in a group of 121, I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

I was thinking on having a few lessons as I've not had any since I was 10!

I'm quite fit and healthy and would like to get into swimming a few times a week.

TIA you lovely lot!

pootlebug Sun 09-Feb-14 17:06:21

There is some chat about lessons / improving technique on the swimming thread here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/exercise/1965702-Swimmers-unite that you might find useful

Urbanvoltaire Sun 09-Feb-14 17:27:37

Thanks pootle, just reading up on the art of swimming site. ;-)

TheSurgeonsMate Sun 09-Feb-14 17:33:02

I went to a class at my local pool, it was great. I wanted to learn to swim front crawl, other people wanted to do other things. The instructor seemed to have time to deal with all of it. I learnt what I wanted in the term and stopped, but I could see some people were just keeping going and getting more out of it. From what she was encouraging us to do, I think that the teacher was quite influenced by the Total Immersion method.

CMOTDibbler Mon 10-Feb-14 11:15:53

I've just started doing 1-2-1 lessons with a trainer who has an endless pool, so its really focussed and he has mirrors in the pool and video so you can see what you are doing. 1 hour with him has made a huge difference already - and being able to use snorkel, fins etc to concentrate on individual areas is fab.

nicecupofteaplease Fri 28-Feb-14 10:47:03

Yes - I am doing a front crawl course which is brilliant. I'm really enjoying it. They break down the stroke over 8 weeks, and it's been so great to finally do it 'right' after all these years. It's around Bristol but I'm sure there are similar all over the place.

ForgiveMeFather Sat 01-Mar-14 20:32:21

I have a 1-2-1 lesson booked in a few weeks time but am making the most of things now by getting as much pool time as possible. I really want to learn to do front- crawl with bilateral breathing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now