Talk

Advanced search

Newbie exercise plan

(18 Posts)
HelloBoys Sun 09-Feb-14 11:32:34

I admit I'm lazy.

Hate gyms prefer aqua Aerobics, body combat, yoga and the occasional dance class.

Not exercised since last year. Recently started taking levothyrixine for thyroid. Gained a few pounds from that.

I could jog too.

Anyone got a good and not too killer regime I could start with please? I don't want to start then give up. Thanks!

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 09-Feb-14 16:51:43

invest in a fitbit zip - they are great - clip it on and basically it monitors how far you walk and how active you are - you can set up your weight and goals and it works out how many calories you should be eating / offset against what you are burning - so the more exercise you do - the more you can eat ! it's fab !! I love mine !! totally recommend it ! just bought the scales too - so all links via wifi to the stats on my phone !! couldn't be easier !!!

HalleLouja Mon 10-Feb-14 12:22:02

Have you tried C25k. I have done it a few times and am liking running / jogging at the moment. You mainly walk to start with.

HelloBoys Mon 10-Feb-14 12:26:25

Halle - That's the thing. I'm not sure if I'd want to run to start with.

I prefer swimming and would prefer to do that and then build up to running/jogging.

HalleLouja Mon 10-Feb-14 12:35:58

I find pilates helps me lots with every type of exercise. Core strength plus its quite relaxed. Though am in a bit of an exercise obsession at the moment...

Are you not pg? You shouldn't start any new regime if you are.

Apologies if I have the wrong poster smile

HelloBoys Mon 10-Feb-14 14:28:06

Betty - AFAIK (but waiting for next period) I don't think I am...

sadly the fatness and weight gain is probably due to thyroid problem (new) lucky me!

HelloBoys Mon 10-Feb-14 14:28:42

Halle - I did used to do a great Pilates class. shame it was a bit of a pain to get to (after work when not had time to get to car etc).

I shall keep my fingers crossed for you.

How about swimming to start with? That would break you in nice and gently. If you don't want a brutal start then don't bother with combat as it's quite high impact although of course you can bring it down.

I used to be a class person and hate the gym but since I got a decent programme which delivers what I am aiming for I ab love it - plug myself into my ipod and go at my own space in my own world - what's not to love.

Are you a gym member? Maybe see if you can an applicable programme set for you - get your measurements and body fat % done as well as good results will spur you on.

Good luck smile

CadiM Mon 10-Feb-14 16:42:39

Have you heard of fitnessblender.com? They have hundreds of free workout videos and several 8 week programmes which you can download (costs about £6 to download the programmes). There is also a 4 week programme for beginners.

HelloBoys Mon 10-Feb-14 21:33:05

Cadi I had heard of them but didn't know much about it. Thanks will try

Sleepwhenidie Mon 10-Feb-14 22:05:06

Definitely set yourself a challenge to try lots of new things, but go for what you enjoy, regardless of comparative calorie burning or intensity. The thing you enjoy is what you will consistently do and consistency and enjoyment is key to getting the most out of any exercise smile. Good luck!

HelloBoys Tue 11-Feb-14 10:06:54

Sleep, yes a friend dragged me to a badminton class the other week (tried in school, college etc). I just knew it wasn't for me!

Cadi's Fitness Blender idea sounds excellent too though and just the ticket for someone like me who gets bored easily!

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 12-Feb-14 10:18:39

I assume you thought my message was an advert ! lol ! it wasn't - I'm just another mumsneter ! I usually hang out on the property and DIY section ! but occasionally answer posts on the unanswered board !!! I really do have a fitbit and it's changed me from being not interested in fitness - to being more aware and it's helped heaps !

HelloBoys Wed 12-Feb-14 10:57:55

OnePlan - no I didn't think that at all!

Just reviewing my options. I have no idea what will suit me!

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 12-Feb-14 11:10:11

well I could have been reading my own post when I read yours - hence the suggestion !

HelloBoys Wed 12-Feb-14 11:46:26

OnePlan - the trouble with it there are so many options, MyFitnessPal, the plan someone else mentioned fitnessblender.

I just don't know what to do but am wary of falling at first hurdle.

smile

OnePlanOnHouzz Thu 13-Feb-14 09:03:23

well my fitness pal will link in with fitbit - I know that for sure as I have it !
also Endomomo and other tracking apps ! I wear mine all day everyday - and I park further away from the shops to get my steps up and take the stairs rather than evevators or lifts etc etc - it's like a little reminder that you can see clearly that reminds you to do just that little bit more each day ! perfect for beginners ! mine in the zip - so can't wear it swimming ! but they are bringing out a watch next month that's waterproof, my hubby wants one ! sought be worth waiting for that ?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now