Talk

Advanced search

Experiment: what would happen if you got someone who was a bit chunky all over (me!) and...

(9 Posts)
zestypears Wed 05-Feb-14 22:47:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Joules68 Wed 05-Feb-14 22:51:22

Working on your core would help in lots of ways. Your posture for one. So you could look slimmer just by having correct posture

waterlego Wed 05-Feb-14 22:53:39

I think you'd see a bit of a difference in tone around your mid section, but without cv exercise and good diet choices, there's a limit to how much definition you could achieve, I think.

Gatorade Wed 05-Feb-14 22:55:00

Working on your core is a great place to start! Your core strength impacts on everything, from the way you look (posture etc) to how you perform when doing other exercise (for example if you took up running in the future having a strong core would be a huge benefit).

Also, I find no matter what the exercise is, you end up subconsciously eating slightly better than you do when not working out.

In summary, yes, I think it would be worthwhile.

Beamur Wed 05-Feb-14 22:56:01

You'd have abs of steel under ripples of belly fat grin
I remember asking a gym instructor about gaining more definition and she very politely said I'd need to lose some weight first before I needed to worry about that - she said it much better than that though so I wasn't offended.

waterlego Wed 05-Feb-14 22:56:58

Just remembered a couple of women I knew who were doing quite a lot of body pump classes (weight lifting exercises), but without other types of exercise. These women were both on the larger side, perhaps size 16-18, but neither looked flabby- still quite rounded but more streamlined, if that makes sense?!

zestypears Wed 05-Feb-14 23:09:16

waterlego Thu 06-Feb-14 00:00:30

Sounds like you've got a good regime going on there. smile

I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but a Personal Trainer told me that there's an advantage in doing your weights/resistance work before the cardio; he claims you burn more fat that way.

In fact, I just Googled it, and found this article which says the same- and it appears there may be other benefits to doing it in that order!

It sounds like you're doing great, and I'm sure you can achieve a body shape that feels right for you. Since I took up exercise, I have found I'm much less likely to think in terms of 'weight' (I rarely weigh myself), and more in terms of how I feel and, how I look in my favourite clothes.

zestypears Thu 06-Feb-14 13:30:10

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now