Talk

Advanced search

Tough Mudder...

(14 Posts)
MrsWolowitz Tue 28-Jan-14 11:58:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CooEeeEldridge Tue 28-Jan-14 15:43:40

Hello! Haven't done a tm, but did this www.ratracedirtyweekend.com last year and hopefully again this year- it was great fun! Hoping to do a tm too, but it's quite a lot if money to do both do we'll see..

What training are you doing? I concentrated last year on being able to perform at high intensity for 2+ hours. This year I'm focussing more on the specifics, so jumps, climbing, upper body etc

It was a brilliant experience though, and not as awful as I expected! Will you and your husband stick together? I did it with my boyfriend last year, and totally expected us to end up separate, but you do need someone reliable for a leg up/ bum push etc, saying that, everyone was super supportive at making sure EVERYONE got over the obstacles!

EauRouge Tue 28-Jan-14 16:38:18

You are bonkers grin

There's a whole bunch of us planning to do the Wolf Run in Sept, you're more than welcome to join the thread for training ideas and motivation. I expect the training regimes will be similar, yours will probably be a bit more hardcore though.

shanghaismog Tue 28-Jan-14 20:42:18

DH & I did TM last year. Loads of fun. Obstacles weren't really that physically challenging for the most part. We came away having had a great time but it wasn't the mega challenge we thought it would be.

shanghaismog Tue 28-Jan-14 20:43:05

P.s. The shocks are horrid on the first obstacle but fine on the end one!

McPie Tue 28-Jan-14 21:12:54

I done TM last year and loved it so am doing it again this year. You can skip whatever ones you don't want to do which was great for me as I'm not that keen on heights.
It took us about 5 hours to complete as we walked a fair bit of the course but this year I plan to run more of it so am trying to up my running times, I have also added in some strength training as I personally found I was lacking in that area.
I didn't find the electric eel too bad as its more a case of keeping your arse down and zig zaging your way through the wires, I got zapped once and it was not too bad but got a full horrible whack on the electro shock as they are full body wires that you cannot miss!
I can't wait for June now and have not stopped the training I started this time last year for the one I done in August I have just improved and added to it.

CharlieAlphaKiloEcho Tue 28-Jan-14 21:31:05

My brother did it last year and I was keen until I heard t's in October this year!

Degustibusnonestdisputandem Thu 06-Feb-14 15:27:30

Oh this looks fantastic! I have friends that have done it before...I rather doubt I could get fit enough for this year's though sad

kaumana Fri 07-Feb-14 00:30:15

I'm doing it in Dalkeith. Eek!

I had planned to do it last year but couldn't get a team together in time so I volunteered at the event. It was a fantastic day.

I got to watch the "artic enema"on my break (good for a laugh) and also had the honour of placing the orange headbands at the finishing line.

Brilliant day!

Ggsoph Mon 10-Feb-14 18:56:47

I did it last year. I was fit-ish but had little upper body strength - it was the awesome team I ran with that got me through. Don't underestimate how mentally tough it is. You will be pushing yourself to do scary things many times during the day. But crossing the finish line is incredible. As for tips, wear a long sleeved skin under your running vest. It will save your arms from the stones sticking out of the mud on the crawling obstacles.

Take at least two energy gels as they only have bananas on route.

Do interval training. Run, drop to the floor and do press ups or crawl. I could run the distance but the stop/start nature of it really killed me!

Finally and very importantly, no matter how tempting it is, do not slide down any muddy slopes on your bum, crawl! I did this in the first mile and ended up with a puncture wound in my arse which had to be scrubbed at A&E a couple of days later...

kaumana Mon 10-Feb-14 20:23:36

Ggsoph Good tips thanks. And shock re your arse!

I too have been concentrating on upper body strength and interval training. I've also found some monkey bars in a park ( no, I'm not pushing 8 year olds off their playpark) for outdoor training.

As you can't carry anything, I'm planning for the friends and family coming to laugh at us while being electric shocked etc Having energy gels and extra water at certain obstacles.

If you have friends that volunteer on the day they get free parking/volunteer t shirt/pack lunch/ pint of cider/ entry to the party evening on Saturday night and discounted rate for future TM. Worth doing if you are not sure if TM is for you.

Ggsoph Mon 10-Feb-14 20:44:12

The only upside of arse injury was that I got to use copious amounts of gas and air while they 'scrubbed'

I carried the gels in the arm pouch I usually use for my iphone. Another friend taped them to her leg. If you can get family and friends to hand them to you then that is much better!

I'm a bit sad that I can't do it this year. Also, not to get to serious but I had huge respect for my body afterwards. Yes, it's a bit wobbly in places but it got me round TM and so I've learned to forgive its faults!

kaumana Mon 10-Feb-14 21:01:06

Ggsoph grin oh poor you but that did make me laugh!

Great idea about using your arm pouch.

I'm really looking forward to it and hopefully will feel the same as you.

Ggsoph Mon 10-Feb-14 21:21:59

kaumana i can laugh now...and if my experience helps protect others from arse punctures then it was (almost) worth it grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now