Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ouch my back!

(6 Posts)
literarygeek Sun 26-May-13 19:29:10

I've had a dodgy back for a while but this past week I think I strained it and my lower- mid back really hurts all the time. Neither the excellent sports masseuse nor the chiropractor have helped.

I do a fair bit of pilates as it is but I really want to deal with this ongoing back pain. I'm pretty healthy and young but this is making me feel ancient! Other exercise I do - regular running, weights (including back/core work) and swimming.

My question is - does anyone have any good recommendations for exercises to help with back pain? Especially helpful would be DVD recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

apatchylass Sun 26-May-13 20:09:06

The two that help me when I pushed out a disc (not slipped but bulged) in lower back were:

Lie on your front on the floor, hands palm down on the floor either side of your chest so your arms stick up like a grasshoppers. Then push up very gently, lifting head, neck, chest etc from the floor, slowly, making sure your pelvis never loses contact with the floor. It's not as strenuous as the similar yoga posture. You just lift up and down, gently and often, gradually raising more of your torso away from the floor until you are fully extended.

After that, lay on your back. Bring right knee up and over the thigh of the left leg and put your right hand on the small of your back and make tiny pushing movements to rock it gently. Do the same on the other side, left knee over right thigh, left hand gently pulsing the lower back. 40 times each side.

Got me from hobbling to feeling fine after months of pain. Both taught to me by a sports physio, so maybe you could try booking a session with one.

literarygeek Sun 26-May-13 20:14:53

Thanks for taking the time to write that! With the second exercise, does the foot rest on the floor (sole down) or is the knee and lower leg on the floor, IYSWIM?

Thanks again.

apatchylass Sun 26-May-13 20:25:00

In second exercise, left leg is on the floor, flat, extended, right leg is drawn up and crosses over left thigh to slightly raise the lower right side of the back off the floor so you can manipulate it with your hand from underneath. Then the same, other side. So neither foot is sole down on floor.

hope that makes sense.

drowninginlaundry Sun 26-May-13 20:31:34

you should go see a physio who would be able to diagnose the problem, it could be misalignment in your hip, or many other things. If you have mobility issues in your lower back the more exercise you do should help it. But definitely go see a physiotherapist!

literarygeek Sun 26-May-13 21:43:41

Thanks apatchy, it does.
Drowning, thanks. My BIL, who is a rheumatologist, and my good friend who is a physio both assure me it's a strain. Neither of them helped though! Perhaps I should be paying their fees... hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now