Talk

Advanced search

Sport and exercise has been moved here from Fun and Games. Do you agree with this move?

(13 Posts)
CrispEater Thu 23-May-13 16:13:10

I'm really surprised that Sport and Exercise is no longer under Fun and Games and had to search before I found it here under Big /small whatever...
It seems to me that putting it here is reinforcing the idea that if you take exercise or do sport, this must be because you want to change your body shape. Surely there are a lot of people like me who do so because it's healthy and enjoyable - what do you think?

HeySoulSister Thu 23-May-13 16:14:15

i agree with you!!

BlueChampagne Thu 23-May-13 16:21:13

I'd have put it under Health.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 23-May-13 16:25:43

I think Health or Body and Soul.

My vote would be for Body and Soul really but I don't suppose anyone else would ever find itconfused

I certainly don't exercise for weight loss. Which is just as well because I haven't lost anygrin I run because it helps my mental health and I enjoy it!

fascicle Thu 23-May-13 19:34:39

Another vote for Body and Soul or Health. I was surprised to see that S and E had been moved here (although if this section was called 'Diet and Exercise' that would maybe make more sense). I agree with you Crisp that putting it in this section doesn't, for me, reflect the full meaning and benefits of sport and exercise.

Having said that, when I first came to this site, I thought there must be something on exercise but couldn't find it because it was tucked away in Fun and Games. It took me a couple of weeks to stumble across it.

Thistledew Thu 23-May-13 20:29:37

I can perhaps see the rational behind trying to promote the idea that weight loss needs to be about the exercise you do, not just the food you (don't) eat, but I agree with other posters that the reasons I do sports and exercise are nothing to do with losing weight.

I don't really want to be posting in a section that focusses on weight loss when I am actually pretty happy with my weight.

I also think it reinforces the notion that women do exercise for the goal of losing weight and looking good, rather than for the sake of the sport itself.

LemonDrizzled Thu 23-May-13 21:23:32

Weird! I couldn't think where it had gone and only found it by searching...
I certainly don't exercise because I want to be bigger or smaller and I think it just reinforces the idea that size matters to put Sport here.
I do sport because I am an insanely competitive person who loves the challenge. I can't see the link with wanting to be a different shape, although I can see that those that are dissatisfied with their size might think sport and exercise is the answer!

Mitchy1nge Thu 23-May-13 21:31:11

moved where?

I think it belongs in mental and physical wellness

GinOnTwoWheels Thu 23-May-13 21:43:26

I also disagree with putting sport and exercise in the weight loss section.

It just reinforces the stereotype that the mainly female users of this site only exercise as a method of weight control, not because it's fun etc.

Also if there are some MNetters that want to talk about darts, shooting or another non-active sport, they'll never find this section grin.

Mitchy1nge Thu 23-May-13 21:46:43

shooting is active!

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 24-May-13 13:20:14

Hello. We do see your point. We'll move Sport & Exercise into the Health category as soon as we can.

fascicle Fri 24-May-13 16:00:51

Brilliant, thanks. smile

CrispEater Sun 26-May-13 11:51:47

Thanks from me too, though I had to go searching again today to see what had happened to my thread!
Perhaps it would be possible to include a topic like this in more than one category, so the slimmers could find Sport and Exercise under Big etc., the health-conscious could find it under Health and those who do sport just for fun could find it under Fun and Games?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now