Talk

Advanced search

Taking up mountain biking after a gazillion years - recommendations please

(11 Posts)
Lucky13 Thu 28-Mar-13 13:29:12

I used to love mountain biking and I really want to get fit again. I have been offered an incentive at work and have lots of muddy trails around - so would be rude not to use them! I already have my old bike for commuting, so this is purely for fun.
Has anyone got any recommendations for a hardtail bike for around £750 please? Things have changed so much since I last bought a bike - I don't know where to begin. I would get a second hand one, but then I don't get the work incentive unfortunately.
I'm 5ft 4 and would like something quite light if possible.
If you have a bike you adore - shout this way please.

KirstyoffEastenders Thu 28-Mar-13 13:32:23

I bought a Whyte 805 last year which is absolutely lush, pretty light (you have to spend a lot more if you want something carbon and really light) and it looks amazing. It was £899 though, but the new season stuff is out now (I think) so you might get it cheaper now.

Piffpaffpoff Thu 28-Mar-13 13:35:44

My mountain bike is a few years old now (Kona Lisa) so I'm not up to speed on whats great now, but I would second what Kirsty says in that there are bargains to be had if you pick a 2012 model over this year's stock. Sometimes the only difference is the colour!

rubyrubyruby Thu 28-Mar-13 13:44:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lucky13 Thu 28-Mar-13 16:19:27

Thanks I will look up the Whyte 805. I've had a Kona bike in the past and it was great.

I've just been told by a local bike shop that they only 29s these days as no-one buys anything else - is that true? I think it was probably that I 'only' wanted to spend up to £800 and that clearly wasn't enough for him to bother to help sad

What size wheels does the Myka have?

PointeShoes Thu 28-Mar-13 16:26:11

Don't know much about hard tail bikes , my oh is the expert on bikes! But I would think a specialized would be cheapest and easiest to get hold of. I have a giant atx 1 , it's my second baby :D

PointeShoes Thu 28-Mar-13 16:27:26

I will ask oh what he thinks is the best for money when he comes in from work for you

Lucky13 Thu 28-Mar-13 16:37:11

I've had lots of people telling me that the front suspension on the cheaper bikes are so bad that they aren't worth bothering with - does that mean my price tag? Not sure which forks i should stay away from?

Is it really impossible to get a bike shop interested for £800?

rubyrubyruby Thu 28-Mar-13 16:48:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Piffpaffpoff Thu 28-Mar-13 16:56:32

I would have thought £800 is a decent budget although I have noticed in DH's mb magazines that £1k-£2 k bikes are much more prevalent and 'normal' than when I last bought a mountain bike.

YoU get an entry level Specialized for £399 so you are definitely not looking at the cheapest bikes with your budget. Maybe try another bike shop? Some are better than others, I bought a road bike last year with an £800 budget and when i went into my local bike shop they recommended I buy a £200 hybrid town bike confused. Needless to say, I went somewhere else...!

Lucky13 Fri 29-Mar-13 12:49:52

That would be great PointeShoes - the more opinions the better.

Thanks ruby - I know another local bike shop that sells them - they have been nice in the past, so might look there.

Piff - is it just because we are female that they try to fob us off or sell off their rubbish - or do they just not care?

Have been recommended Decathlon bikes - so off there later as the local bike shop is shut today.

I will find a good suitable bike!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now