Talk

Advanced search

Where do I begin? - gym

(5 Posts)
Heffalumpa Sun 23-Sep-12 15:44:20

We're signing up for family membership at the gym next weekend.

I'm not going to able to work out a lot, as DD2 is only 5mo and EBF. But should hopefully be able to do 1 or 2hrs in the gym of a weekend, plus some lengths of the pool. And hopefully will also be able to do another 1-2hrs per week in the evenings once DD2 is a bit older.

I've never used a gym before. I'm seriously overweight, although its going down with the help of weightwatchers.

Our membership does include a session with a personal trainer, which will obviously help as a starting point.

But I was wondering if anyone knew what sort of things I'm best off concentrating on to a) build up some sort of level of fitness and b) maximise my weightloss?

Mydogsleepsonthebed Sun 23-Sep-12 15:48:30

Marking spot because I want to know too - well except that I haven't just had a baby and have no excuse I'm just a fat lump

manyhands Sun 23-Sep-12 18:32:20

I've always found joining classes helpful as you don't get that, I don't belong here feeling you do when you start at the gym, ask the personal trainer to set you a routine. Good luck, you'll love it once your used to it.

kid Sun 23-Sep-12 21:02:09

I had a session with a personal trainer after joining the gym. She spent 30 minutes with me after asking what I hope to acheive from the gym (lose weight, tone up). She showed me which equipment would be best for me to use and some exercises to do with the weights to tone up.

I have been a member there for over a year. I mainly use the classes but when I do use the gym section, I tend to use the treadmill for a cardio work out. I do an interval programme of walking and jogging. It is really hard and my heart gets pumping and the sweat is pouring and I ache for 2 or 3 days afterwards!

I do enjoy going to the gym, I gave up on going with someone else as they always let me down and I'd end up not going. Now I go by myself, I actually go alot more.

TalkinPeace2 Sun 07-Oct-12 17:25:37

Pilates
Aqua
Yoga
Bodyvive

classes are ALWAYS better as you get the community side of things ....
AND you tend to go every week to keep up with the gossip ....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now