Talk

Advanced search

Running in the dark...

(6 Posts)
StinkyPig Sat 22-Sep-12 17:09:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FredFredGeorge Sun 23-Sep-12 16:46:49

Do you really have to run on single carriageway roads (I assume the driver wasn't in the wrong lane and you weren't running in the wrong lane?) As that's what I'd really encourage avoiding if at all possible.

If I run on the road in the dark I always wear lights front and rear, just reflective isn't really enough - cyclists for example often don't have enough light thrown forward to get the reflection.

OneOfMyTurnsComingOn Sun 23-Sep-12 16:55:42

The slowest runner in town (me) used to wear similar to these as well as a high viz jacket.

BikeRunSki Sun 23-Sep-12 17:02:02

I wear a hi viz jacket, head torch and reflective bands round my ankles.

LillethTheCat Sun 23-Sep-12 17:03:02

Ive just ordered some thermal underlayers from Sports direct for the cold winter runs. Layers is the way to go to keep warm.

For me personally Im going to try not to run on the country lanes (I live rurally too) when its dark. I drive to the nearby town to run on the paths and make use of the street lights.

Of course it may not be possible for you to only run during daylight hours due to work and other commitments, but I would definitely look at getting some lights. Someone I know has a headlight. Also reflectors would be useful too. Also while running think about the other traffic on the road and stop if you have to. OK so you might have the intention to run for so long non-stop, but its really not worth risking your life for. Always keep a listen and an eye out for traffic.

BlueChampagne Mon 24-Sep-12 12:40:04

In addition, if you run with headphones, stop. You'll hear the traffic better before it gets you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now