Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My running gear stinks!

(13 Posts)
Carmenthebarman Thu 23-Aug-12 08:11:14

That's it really! How do I wash it? What do I wash it with to get rid of stale sweat smell? People are crossing the road and holding their noses when they see me running towards them!

I wear running leggings, sports bra and an oversized cotton tshirt. I wash them on an ordinary wash at 40degrees usually within 12-24 hours of wearing them.

All suggestions gratefully received!

fascicle Thu 23-Aug-12 15:16:13

Washing at 60 degrees would make a difference. I do sports tops at that. Not sure how other sports gear would fare at that temperature - the fabric of some items might wear out more quickly. The other thing is - you say you're wearing a cotton top, which isn't good for wicking away the sweat in the first place. Tops specifically for running should accumulate less sweat in the first place (in theory!).

Carmenthebarman Thu 23-Aug-12 20:58:38

Thanks I'll give it a go.

cupcake78 Thu 23-Aug-12 21:02:18

I had to chuck mine out after about 4mths

Pedallleur Thu 23-Aug-12 21:38:23

Most sports wear is either cold wash, hand wash (30 deg C) or 40 deg C (Synthetic). You can spay the sweat affected areas with white vinegar and leave for about 30 mins then launder. I use a liquid soap or soap flakes made into a solution and machine hand wash at 30 deg. Liquid soap is made by DP and the soap flakes are labelled Grannys soap flakes. Avoid bio soap as it eats the synthetic fabric

balotelli Thu 06-Sep-12 06:30:01

I found the only solution was bio washing powder which is against my enviro lifestyle but then again so is chucking out my running gear after 3 runs or upsetting the other 300 parkrunners as they run around our park covering their noses.

FoxtrotFoxtrotSierra Sat 15-Sep-12 13:47:29

Bung in a scoop of vanish hygiene (I think it's called that - the one with the green top) with your kit wash once in a while. It gets rid of the stink that builds up on technical fabric. I tend to use it once a month or so.

brighthair Fri 21-Sep-12 08:11:39

Napisan works for me, soak it for a while. Then wash with a bio liquid/powder and no fabric conditioner (as it holds smells in)
Saved my riding clothes!

OneHandFlapping Tue 25-Sep-12 18:22:27

Halo washing liquid has made all the difference to the smell of my sports kit. I got it from Tesco, and you don't have to bother with soaking etc, just bung it in.

peggyblackett Tue 25-Sep-12 18:25:10

Another vote for Halo - amazing stuff.

Springhasarrived Sun 07-Oct-12 08:05:24

I find the technical fabrics worse than anything. Its not very advance technology if it is in a big way worse than old fashioned cotton is it hmm, but obviously it's usually more comfortable to wear.

I agree its biological liquid used asap after wearing and hanging out on the washing line. Must look out for this Halo stuff grin

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sun 07-Oct-12 16:32:07

I run on my own, that solves the problemgrin

Might look for the Halo stuff.

LoveMyBoots Sun 07-Oct-12 16:41:37

Try merino wool for tops. Apparently they can be left unwashed for long periods of time because they don't smell. So far haven't actually dared to try that, though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now