Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else up for a keep fit thingy?

(22 Posts)
thefirstMrsDeVeerie Sat 15-Oct-11 19:50:37

I have never been so unfit.
I am now 44 and do NOTHING exercise wise.
I am not overweight but eat rubbish. Skip meals, drink crappy energy drinks blah blah.

I am carer for one of the DCs and OH has MS so I need to be the strong and fit one. I am failing at the moment.

I hate aerobics.
I love dance
I quite like running
I cant get out in the evenings to do classes.

I want to be proper fit and toned by this time next year.

Anyone else? If not this is in danger of becoming some boring blogesque embarressing thread.

There must be more of you out there that want to be fit and healthy.

TheOriginalFAB Sat 15-Oct-11 21:10:53

I need to get fit as I have asthma and FM and come from a family of obese women. If you live near me we could do something together grin.

Though I am just wondering why you don't want to use next doors gym?? Only kidding, I haven't seen your thread for ages, how are things?

thefirstMrsDeVeerie Sat 15-Oct-11 23:16:57

Oh hahahahahahaha HA hmm
grin

I went for a brisk walk with my fat dog so thats a start.

I am thinking I need to do stuff I can just slot into my day without noticing too much. I always crumble under any pressure.
I live in East London.

I am ignoring the gymthatisnt for a while. They now have two new lodgers in the house. They are also spending an awful lot of money on new stuff and window cleaners, kids all have brand new bikes, brand new gas bbq etc. All very dodgy.

<not that I a a curtain twitcher or anything>

babycham42 Sat 15-Oct-11 23:19:46

Couch to 5k running.
Daytime class.
Swimming
Weights

thefirstMrsDeVeerie Sat 15-Oct-11 23:27:05

I have looked for daytime classes and havent found anything. All private gyms round here but I will look again. there must be something.

I HATE swimming.

I will do the running though. Thanks.

MonsterBookOfHorrors Sat 15-Oct-11 23:35:49

I am trying to get fit but can't get out due to young dc and dh works till late.
I have been putting music on and dancing grin I did get sweaty though so may be working.

thefirstMrsDeVeerie Sun 16-Oct-11 10:18:44

Sometimes I will put on MTV (or whatever). The sight of all that young toned flesh usually get me moving grin

butterflyexperience Sun 16-Oct-11 10:25:02

Running is fab smile
Look into c25k and find out where your nearest park run is
You'll love it
Good luck

TheOriginalFAB Sun 16-Oct-11 11:19:07

I hate swimming too. I hate being cold and wet and I am scared of water hmm.

I have weighed myself this morning and then I made DH weigh himself. He is more than 2 stone lighter than me sad.

notyummy Mon 17-Oct-11 14:06:20

Well, someone has to say it.....30 Day Shred. It works. Really. Do that 4/5 times a week (remember it is only 20 mins) and try a 30 minutes run2/3 times a week and you will see a huge difference.

thefirstMrsDeVeerie Mon 17-Oct-11 15:30:56

What is this shred that you speak of?

<scared>

notyummy Mon 17-Oct-11 15:44:27

Exercise DVD done with light weights by a trainer called Jillian Michaels. 20 minutes a day, 3 levels - so you do each level for 10 days. It is hard - but really is only 20 minutes. It is designed to help you shed fat and tone muscles. There are loads of threads about it on here if you look in Sport and Exercise or Big/Slim/Weightloss. Lots of ladies have had great results. I use a lot of her DVDs and I really rate them - they push you, but in a good way. I am pretty fit (so modest wink) and I think she understands how hard you need to work to make a difference - but that people don't have time to be doing 1 1/2 hours in the gym everyday.

DooinMeCleanin Mon 17-Oct-11 15:55:26

I may aswell join. I've just replied to my friend's newest 'come to bootcamp with me, you'll love it' post on FB with 'Oh I'd love to but timing is awkard. I start work not ong after and wouldn't make it home in time' only to have the trainer come on and offer me a lift home, the bastard wink

I'm all out of excuses now, so I'll have to go. If you don't hear from me after tomorrow I've either collapsed mid squat or been kidnapped by the trainer on my way home looking at his profile I am yet to decide whether the latter would be a good thing or a bad thing wink

I've also agreed to join Zumba on Wednesday with my sister and swimming another morning with a different friend <eep>

Zumba is meant to be fun if you like dance. Bike riding with your dog could be an option? My Terrier loves it. Couch to 5k with the dog? Sign up to run a charity run for motivation. My friend did that last year and did great.

I've tried 30 day shred, it's very intense. I need people around me to keep pushing myself otherwise I tend to give up when I get a bit out of breath blush.

thefirstMrsDeVeerie Mon 17-Oct-11 16:38:34

I did some zumba and loved it but the class went pffft! It was on at an ideal time and place but the teacher didnt want to do it anymore.

I dont think classes are going to be an option for me or the gym etc for a while so I am going to have to do it all from home.

I will take a look at the shred thing. I am tring to work out if I coud do 20 mins a day. If I try and do anything everyone wants to join in hmm

I remember one session of balletcize being done amidst 3 kids ,two dogs, a cat and a bloody budgie all wanting a 'go'.

Mon - could do morning
Tue - after work before picking up DC3 from afterschool club
Weds - after work, will have to send the kids upstairs with a dvd
Thurs - morning
Fri - tricky cos I am out all morning and we have an afterschool club so might not be able to do it.
Sat and Sun I will have to get up early before the whole mob come and laugh and point at me.

Does it work if you miss oiut a day?

thefirstMrsDeVeerie Mon 17-Oct-11 16:40:55

My problem is (this is so wet) when I do a bit of exercise and it makes me ache my brain seems to think I am 'coming down with something'.

Then I feel a bit poorly and dont want to excercise anymore

Told you it was wet!

DooinMeCleanin Mon 17-Oct-11 16:41:42

Yes it'll still work.

How old are your kids and do you/they have an x-box? I have kinnect adventures that dd1 makes me play with her sometimes. That certainly gets my heart racing, particularly the mine cart one and the raft one and well most of them really blush [very unfit] [planning funeral for after tomorrow]

thefirstMrsDeVeerie Mon 17-Oct-11 17:15:28

DCs at home are 18mths, 3 & 8 (SN).

I have a Wii and there is an x box or something but I bloody hate computor games so ignore them mostly.

I have a wii board and even bought one of them things with a camera but I never got my head round it. The Wii fit game pissed me off a bit because it just kept going on about losing weight. I dont need to lose weight I need to get fit.

DooinMeCleanin Tue 18-Oct-11 14:12:31

Well I made it through the bootcamp thingy today barely

Have you done any keep fit today MDV? The Kinect Adventures games is much more fun and active than Wii fit with no focus at all weight, or fitness as such, it's just a fun active game, but it does get you moving and your heart racing.

thefirstMrsDeVeerie Tue 18-Oct-11 15:11:16

Well DONE Dooin!

Today has been a failorama. I am at work on Tuesdays so no long walk in the morning and I have to drive DS to nursery as I go in straight after. I dont even have to walk to the bus stop as DS2 is dropped off at his after school club and I will have to drive to pick him up. I could do the walk no probs but have the DCs 4 & 5 and then I wouldnt be able to get DC3 to walk back.

Didnt eat anything at all until just now when I scarfed half a bag of bombay mix!

Gah!

Working tommorow as well so I dont think I will be v.good although I will work harder at the healthy eating. TBH I think I will need to treat Tues & Weds as 'rest' days until I am more used to extra activity.

I already feel more motivated. I find exercise helps a lot with my low moods too.

Onwards and upwards. I will find something positive to do later and will fit in some stretching and sit ups.

I am not going to fall into that 'all or nothing' trap that I usually do. At the moment anything is better than nothing and I want to build on that.

I will ask OH about the game thingy <clueless>

kiwijesta Tue 18-Oct-11 21:30:40

I'd definitely recommend any of Davina's DVDs! I've done two or three and they really work! Best part is she divides them up into bite sized chunks usually so a session only takes 30 mins. DD (9mo) thinks I'm hilarious. You've also given me a virtual kick in the pants to practise what I preach and get moving again after 6 weeks off, it's going to hurt tomorrow! grin

DooinMeCleanin Thu 20-Oct-11 14:27:50

How's it going? I managed Zumba yesterday (but it hurt a lot. I needed to hold onto the bath and sink just to get off the loo after Bootcamp the day before grin). I did another Bootcamp today and took the dog out on the bike for half an hour, although to be fair, the dog does most of the work, I just help out on hills grin.

thefirstMrsDeVeerie Thu 20-Oct-11 15:15:07

Damn this thread and its power to remind me that I should be doing stuff grin

Nope rubbish week so far. I will have a nice long walk tommorow morning and and lunchtime so will get my 3 miles in.

Kids at sports club in the evening so I might do some running around. Its silly but the thought of running infront of people seems really scary now. Its like bits of me will fall off or something. Sure sign I have let this go too far.

You sound like you are doing great dooin very inspiring. I am going to order the Shred thing.
Next week no nursery or school runs so I will have to try extra hard. I think I will go on amazon and order that dvd now.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now