Talk

Advanced search

Bodypump tonight. Yes or no?

(4 Posts)
MeanMrsMustard Tue 11-Oct-11 09:35:37

Hi,
I'm trying to get into exercise after years of sitting around eating crap and smoking fags. For the past three weeks I've been swimming 1 - 2 km five days a week, or using the cross trainer for 30 - 40 minute stints.
Last week I saw a personal trainer who devised a resistance/ strength training plan which I'm finding bloody tough. I can do the exercises on the weight machine, but I'm just too chunky, un co-ordinated and weak to do the squats, lunges, steps, burpees etc properly. I sweat like anything and my body will just not get as low or high as required. I know I need to work on my strength and flexibility, so i'm obviously continuing with my new plan, but its not fun!
Personal trainer guy says I should do the routine 2 - 3 times a week, and go to bodypump once a week. I've booked first bodypump class for tonight. I'm now having serious doubts. I'm worried that Its going to be way too advanced for a clueless novice like me. I envision myself collapsing after 10 minutes (if that) or constantly being yelled at by the instructor.
Do you think it's better to wait until I'm more confident with the moves and have atleast a passable level of strength before going to the class? If I cancel I'll still go to the gym, so I'm not trying to get out of it completely...

CristinadellaPizza Tue 11-Oct-11 09:40:21

Bodypump is great because you decide how much weight to use. It's not a really fast class and the moves are not difficult. It takes a while to know how much weight you can work with so start off low.

And the instructor won't yell at you if you're trying smile Stand at the back and behind someone who looks like they know what they're doing if you can

smartyparts Tue 11-Oct-11 09:50:52

If you can use the cross trainer for 40 mins, you must have a decent standard of fitness so I'd say go for Pump!

It's a really great class although you will ache afterwards. Start off on low weights and focus on your technique. A good instructor will help you with your positioning if needs be. If you find yourself getting too knackered, miss a couple of reps to take a breather and then re-join.

I hope you enjoy it - it's such a good workout and if you stick with it, you'll see results in just a few weeks.

MeanMrsMustard Tue 11-Oct-11 11:06:01

Thank you - I am persuaded! I will go to bodypump!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now