Talk

Advanced search

thinking about c25k....

(17 Posts)
lollipoppet Thu 06-Oct-11 18:02:36

I'm thinking about doing this, but with my dd in the pram. I haven't heard anyone say they do it with the baby but surely you can if you want, right?

Is it REALLY doable if you have never run and the thought itself is sweat inducing??

Other than that, my main concern is HOW if you are massively unfit, very big and wobbly do you get past the hideous embarrassment factor? The thought of someone looking at me running makes me want to die seriously puts me off. Is there anything you can wear that helps disguise the rippling wobble of my thighs as they move?

Convince me please!

GeekLove Thu 06-Oct-11 23:17:16

I'm planning

GeekLove Thu 06-Oct-11 23:22:42

Frigging IPhone did it again! I'm planning on doing this within the next two months as I have done no running since July 2010 .
As for cloths wefitin.co.uk do plus size sportswear from a size 14 upwards. They have some nice scapris.

Babieseverywhere Sat 08-Oct-11 10:05:39

I am only on Week Three but on a positive note...I am alive and have completed Weeks One and Two.

I am 100% sure I am heavier and more unfit than you and I love this running program. I couldn't run at all when I started and now I can run 3 minutes without being out of breath !

I am lucky enough to have a treadmill, so no need to take my wobbly bits outside, yet ! But I understand running outside is a great experience so when I feel a bit healthier braver I want to try it. Maybe early evening when the air is cool and the light is dark, LOL

Clothes wise I started by buying gym clothes from Asda (legging plus massive t-shirt).
Lately I have started buying dry-fit wicking clothes on Ebay, they keep you so much cooler. My first proper gym top is too big at 22 and I am now in a gym top and pants size 20 (roughly £7 for both on ebay), eyeing up 18 clothes for next month maybe.

Go for it what have you got to lose and you might discover a new fun hobby smile

vanimal Tue 11-Oct-11 15:32:55

I am a rubbish runner, I have always, always hated exercise, and am now on week 5 of the program. I could not run for 60 seconds straight to begin with, and have now completed a 20 min run, you MUST do this!

It's great, and paced very slowly so you build up stamina nice and steadily. I used the NHS Couch to 5 K plan, which is excellent, because you get some nice tips and words of encouragement along the way.

I also wobble lots. I used to run in the park (as it's full of strangers and my neighbours won't see me), and now run in the mornings (around 6.30am) before it gets light.

A very small part of my run is now on a main road, and I actually quite like it now - you will feel super-smug that you are doing some exercise whilst everyone else is walking.

OTheHugeWerewolef Tue 11-Oct-11 15:42:36

OP, if you haven't seen this yet, and are worried about whether someone who's carrying a bit of spare fat can start running, have a watch:

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SbXgQqbOoU Amazing inspirational video]]

I'm on W7 of the C25K - come and join us on the New Starters thread. I'm loving it and have really noticed the difference already - I caught a train the other day I would have missed 2 months ago, I've dropped a dress size, and my mood is absolutely, definitely tons better.

Go for it!

OTheHugeWerewolef Tue 11-Oct-11 15:43:09

That link again, properly

Pinkglow Tue 11-Oct-11 17:56:12

Whenever I saw runners I used to think oh I wish I could do that or they must be really fit or sometimes I thought they must be mad in this weather.

I never ever thought gosh don't they look silly/fat or whatever and neither will anyone else

GypsyMoth Tue 11-Oct-11 18:12:04

I'm not sure with a pram?? I am doing the programme again, lapsed over the summer. I love it!!

But pushing a pram? I'm sure I'd trip over it. And with kerns to negotiate?

GypsyMoth Tue 11-Oct-11 18:12:25

Curbs!

lollipoppet Sun 16-Oct-11 11:20:06

Thanks for all the great comment and those links!

Sorry I am so rubbish at replying, been ill this week. I am going to shop for some flattering gear and new trainers and give it a go! Wish me luck!

Oh and tiffany, where I am planning to go there won't be any curbs to contend with luckily!

JelliBelli Sun 16-Oct-11 15:48:23

I know someone who has just completed a half marathon and not always but regularly trains with her daughter in a pushchair, so I am sure you will be fine.

In fact now that I have thought of it I know at least three women who do this.

Good luck on your mission!

golemmings Mon 24-Oct-11 06:22:38

When DD was small I went to buggyfit and regularly ran with a buggy. You just need to ensure it has some degree of suspension or rubber tyres otherwise there's a lot of vibration for a baby.

I'm planning on starting c25k in 4 weeks after my 6 week check. Anyone else looking to start then?

lollipoppet Tue 25-Oct-11 23:56:51

Thanks jelli

I have still not started so could start with you when you're ready golem? Totally lacking motivation, can you tell?

golemmings Wed 26-Oct-11 00:38:50

You're on killing, if you're happy to waif.

golemmings Wed 26-Oct-11 00:40:53

Killing? Dodgy autocorrect. Lolli. Apologies.

lollipoppet Wed 26-Oct-11 07:45:09

Yeah, having a buddy will give me a much need kick up the fat arse!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now