Talk

Advanced search

Calling kettlebells gurus...Rubberduck et al.

(24 Posts)
Babieseverywhere Sun 25-Sep-11 13:33:56

I am thinking of getting a kettlebell and a Kettlebell DVD to do at home as I want some strength training to tone up my arms. I already to plenty of cardio (3 slow runs and 2 aerobics classes per week)

Having read a few reviews I am thinking of getting "Ultimate Body Sculpt & Conditioning with Kettlebells" with Lauren Brooks. As she has some free bits on youtube and apparently shows a good form.

I am thinking of buying a 12 kg Kettlebell, as many people say a heavier weight is better than a light one. Or is this too heavy to start with ?

Any advice would be welcome alongside the best/cheapest place to buy a kettlebell.

TracyK Mon 26-Sep-11 18:33:38

I think I have this dvd - and have done half of it - so far it is heavily focussed on lunges - which I don't like! Not very cardio so far.
I wouldn't go for such a heavy KB tbh. I have a 6kg one and have been doing KB for a couple of months now. Started at 4kg - and was quite easy. The 6kg is a bit on the light side for me doing the swings etc - but defo heavy enough for the movements using the shoulder ups.iykwim.
If you can get a set of KB's maybe a 4, 6 and 8??
The windmill and holster are quite sore on your muscles if you have a heavy weight.

TracyK Mon 26-Sep-11 18:35:36

Also - I got my KB from Argos and ignored one of the reviews that said that it was humungous - and it is too big really for doing exercises. I was too impatient to wait for an online order! Look for smaller bells - they are easier to work with ie the ones you use at the gym.

Babieseverywhere Mon 26-Sep-11 21:38:37

I accidently bought one at Sports Direct today whilst shopping for trainers for DD1 as it was half price £20 for a 9kg one.

It is heavy, so I am not sure whether to swap it for a 3 or 6 kg one or stick with the one I have got.

TracyK Tue 27-Sep-11 11:22:42

I think if you are wanting to tone up - go for the heavier ones. The 9kg will be fine - just not right at the start though. I'd have thought a 6kg would be better to start off with. If you can get a set from Argos - and not sweat on them. Use the 4 and 6kg for a week or so - then return them for a refund and move onto the 9kg.
Can you do a couple of classes somewhere first to get a feel for what weight you should go for?
I'm more wanting the cardio and fat burning aspect - therefore will use a lighter weight and go faster than if you were wanting to get muscle tone.

TracyK Tue 27-Sep-11 11:31:03

store.kettlebellseminars.co.uk/Womens_Intermediate_Kettlercise_Package/p2627_3590900.aspx

I think I'll order this one and take back my KB to Argos - it really is far too cumbersome.

2blessed2bstressed Tue 27-Sep-11 13:43:43

I have 2...a 5kg, and a 7.5kg. I tend to start a new technique (turkish get-up is the latest) with the lighter one, then, when I feel I've mastered the correct movement, I change to the heavier one. My trainer also has a selection of other weights, but really we only use her 7.5kg one for pullovers and 2-handed swings when I have one in each hand. I think a beginner might struggle with a heavier kettlebell to begin with - I definitely would have! grin

TracyK Tue 27-Sep-11 16:26:01

I love/hate the get up - we do it at the end of a class and its bloody hard! I seem to have a mental block with the odd numbered weights - don't know why - always going for 4, 6 or 8's. I spose I could do the in betweeny ones.
My first class (in an all male class) - I tried to 'prove' myself and used 8's and 10's. Needless to say I ached for about 7 days straight and never went back to that particular one.

2blessed2bstressed Thu 29-Sep-11 16:11:10

First couple of times I did it, I nearly fell over!

Babieseverywhere Tue 04-Oct-11 11:57:49

Sorry, I started this thread and then hurt my knee, so I have been sulking looking at my nice shiny Kettlebell and been unable to use it...grrr.

Anyhow I'm nearly mended and looking forward to having a go very soon. smile

Any recommendations for Kettlebell DVD's

TracyK Tue 04-Oct-11 17:49:58

I got the intermediate pack from kettle bell seminars as above. Not done the DVD yet but am liking the protein shakes.

RubberDuck Wed 05-Oct-11 12:21:05

Ooo just seen this.

I started out (and still have) an 8kg and bought the Kettlebells for Dummies book for routine ideas. I haven't used a DVD, but I was lucky that I got a few pointers from my Krav instructor who also trains with kettlebells and I also found the philscarito channel on YouTube a really good reference - especially his basic kettlebell tutorials, e.g.:

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u_nqSnM2S8&feature=player_embedded Basics - Two Arm Kettlebell Swing]]
Basic - Turkish Getup

RubberDuck Wed 05-Oct-11 12:21:28

Arse, first link should have been Basics - Two Arm Kettlebell Swing

StrangewaysHereICome Wed 05-Oct-11 13:38:23

This is intriguing me! So how long have you been kettle belling and what difference has it made to you? I run but need to do some weights to get stronger and can't get to a gym. I really like the look of these but I'll need to convince DH it's not just a fad!

RubberDuck Wed 05-Oct-11 13:46:20

I've had mine about 6 months and slowly building up fitness with it - I do other stuff as well though, so hard to know what to ascribe to the bell and what to everything else smile

Upper body strength has increased definitely - it's recommended in martial arts circles because it's a very fluid method of weight training, so you gain strength without losing flexibility and speed. It can also be a good form of cardio exercise. I'm asthmatic and I struggle with stamina issues. While my stamina is still not brilliant, it's definitely improved and I'm not needing to take my inhaler half-way through a Krav class anymore - obviously, can't say it's just the kettlebell that's done that, but it has contributed a lot.

The main reason I started was that it was short duration, intense exercise and very cheap - one kettlebell is all the equipment you need and it effectively replaces a whole rack of free weights.

RubberDuck Wed 05-Oct-11 13:51:35

Oh and another pro for kettle bells - doesn't clutter up the living room as much as other exercise equipment. Also doubles up nicely as a doorstop when required grin

Another cheap and easy form of upper body strength training is a chin-up bar - harder to store, but I have one permanently attached to a doorway. Every time I walk through I try and do at least one chin up (or is it pull-up I never remember which way round it is - the one with fingers towards you anyway). Builds up strength with minimal effort and doesn't feel like officially exercising.

StrangewaysHereICome Wed 05-Oct-11 16:45:55

Thanks rubber that sounds good. My upper body strength is rubbish. I am thinking this would be good for a quick daily blast while DS is asleep. I might treat myself to an early Christmas pressie. I can't do chin ups, I broke my wrist a while ago and it's not strong enough to take my weight yet (either I need to lose a few more pounds or it needs to get stronger hmm)!

I like that it doesn't take up much room and is easy to grab and have a go. I also have an exercise bike which does take up a lot of room and is a pain to get out, but I do still use it about once a week.

traceyk I would love to hear how you get on with yours smile

TracyK Wed 05-Oct-11 18:05:43

I'm rubbish at doing home exercise - but I do love the kettlebell classes. I really notice a big diff in body shape - even doing it once or twice a week.
I've been doing body pump classes for near on 10 years and I've never seen this kind of shaping. And its very cardio - but no impact on any joints.
I might try and get my dvd on tonight when ds is in bed!

RubberDuck Wed 05-Oct-11 19:02:11

If your wrist isn't very strong, then I'd err on the size of caution with which size weight you get and be very very careful, esp with turkish get up, clean and military press - those are the ones that seemed to put most pressure on my wrists, anyway (has helped them get much stronger in the long term, though).

Might be worth seeing if you can go to at least one class so you get some advice from a proper instructor for modifications until you get stronger?

StrangewaysHereICome Wed 05-Oct-11 20:41:12

You're right Rubber I wasn't planning on supporting it above my head until my wrist is stronger, I don't want to end up with concussion! I was hoping the arm swings would help get my wrist stronger before moving on to the other moves. The Turkish get up looks a tough one!

I was thinking of going for the 6 kg that tracyk has.

Thanks for the advice smile

RubberDuck Wed 05-Oct-11 23:28:07

6kg sounds good smile Sounds like you've thought it through and are taking the sensible route of taking it slowly.

I tell you what though, I was convinced I was going to do myself a major injury including concussion - I'm pretty accident prone normally - but I haven't (touch wood) done yet! (Yes, I appreciate I've probably just jinxed myself ;) )

TracyK Thu 06-Oct-11 10:04:47

I think you should maybe get a hold of a 4kg one to start with - can you borrow one? No point in buying one as you will soon progress to the 6kg. But 6kg is ambitious for starting with.

StrangewaysHereICome Tue 11-Oct-11 14:28:42

Well I plumped for a 6kg in the end and got it for £15 from Sports Direct, that way it's not a disaster if I don't get on with it. I tried the 9kg and goodness that was way too heavy, I don't want to end up like Hulk Hogan! I love it already though, and got a few moves off You Tube. I have just bought a Jillian Michaels DVD to inspire me though, and found myself getting the shred too ... new me here we come!!

How are you getting on with yours babies?

Babieseverywhere Wed 12-Oct-11 10:18:33

Thanks for asking.

Slowly is the word of the moment. As I hurt my knee and it is healing/healed, I don't want to put too much pressure on it until I am sure it is 100%.

I am back running three times a week but not restarted my twice weekly aerobics classes yet, due to the massive amount of twists they do.

Kettlebell wise I have been watching youtube videos and I am building up to 100 double handed swings a day, up to 60 atm. I am also practising cleans and presses. I have watched the turkish get up and when fully healed will have a go without my kettlebell...it looks very hard !

I hope to go to a kettlebell class in the next week or so to get some good basic instruction but at £4 per class will not be making it a regular part of my week.

I really need a good dvd to do at home, not sure which to go for yet. Trying to record Kettleworx off the Fitness channel on Sky but it keeps failing to record it ...grrr.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now