Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone trained for a marathon with a running buggy - am I mad to think about it?!

(3 Posts)
StrangewaysHereICome Tue 20-Sep-11 10:15:56

I'm in two minds about training for a spring marathon with my baby (6 months). I ran London in 2010 and loved it and really want to get back to that level of fitness. Also a good friend of mine has recently been diagnosed with MS so I am motivated to take on a challenge and raised money for the MS Society.

While I am competitive I would just aim to get round. I did London in just under 4:30 and have a dream of a sub 4 hour marathon one day but I can't do speed work with the buggy. I would just follow a basic mileage plan.

DS loves the buggy but so far we have done 7 miles max. Is it fair to expect him to come along for the really long runs? Icould do those at the weekend but I have other children to consider.

Has anyone done something similar?

ExpatAgain Sun 09-Oct-11 08:43:38

hi there - not done trained with a buggy, hard enough without! but didn't want yr post to go unanswered. I think it's doable if you have someone to look after yr baby for the LSRs and interval/speed work. Steady runs of 3-10m might well be doable with s buggy depending on terrain. how about posting on runner's world?

StrangewaysHereICome Mon 10-Oct-11 13:37:50

Thanks for the reply expat. I'm still undecided. I am going to see how my training goes and how DS gets on when he drops his morning nap before entering for a marathon. Like you say it is hard enough without a buggy. I could do medium length runs in the week (did 8 miles this morning and he was happy as a sand boy), hill reps in the evenings and the LSR early on a Sunday .... See still thinking about it!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now