Talk

Advanced search

does anyone swim as the main/only way to keep fit?

(4 Posts)
NeatFreak Wed 14-Sep-11 18:06:12

I'm ridiculously unfit atm- used to do a bit of gym/running but have had so many knee injuries and operations that I can't do it any more.

I've never been a good swimmer but decided to give it a go and am hooked. Ive been going at least three times a week for the past few weeks and have built up from doing fourteen lengths and feeling like I'm going to die to managing thirty lengths quite comfortably. I'm not the best swimmer and stick to the slow lane but am feeling really good and leave the pool craving my next swim blush
The only downside to me is the cost-£4 a time, which is really adding up. The only private gym nearby with a decent pool is seriously expensive and I'd have to commit to a year contract. (oh and people with no swim lane etiquette are bugging me too!)

So how useful is swimming as a general way of keeping fit? I wouldn't mind losing a few pounds but my main priority is my health.

Anyone else got the swimming bug?!

SageMist Wed 14-Sep-11 18:18:00

My preferred method of exercise is swimming. Periodically I lose the bug, like now, must get back into it.

My local council run pool has a monthly rolling membership scheme. Which works out to be very cost effective if you go 3-4 times a week. I found this out by looking at their website, try yours.

NeatFreak Wed 14-Sep-11 19:07:32

I've tried that. There are two options- a 12 swim ticket for the price of 10 or buying an annual membership card for £28, which gives 20% off everything.

We try to go as a family as much as possible but it costs over £10 for us and dd (ds doesn't pay yet), which to me seems really expensive as we used to go at least twice a week sad

ivykaty44 Mon 19-Sep-11 18:58:01

I would look again at the expensive gym - #50 quid for swimming isn't cheap 75 for swimming and gym would work out a better deal as you could swim 5 times a week if you choose and the times may be wider than the local pool..?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now