Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

U7 rubgy newbie - what kit is essential?

(2 Posts)
ivebeenupsince6 Mon 12-Sep-11 13:37:10

Hello
My 6 year old son started rugby on sunday and had a fantastic time. Before we fork out for kit etc could someone explain the undergarments, which I am sure he will need as the pitch he plays on is v exposed (I am also getting a new coat!). They all look the same but appear to do different things.
Also our local sports shop doesn't so rugby boots in his size but said football boots would be ok - is that right or were they fobbing me off??
Thanks plus any other advice
Thanks

Welcome to the cold world of mini rugby! You will need more than a new coat, though, hat gloves scarf flask of tea. Its cold on the sidelines in the depths of winter.

Football boots will be fine, just make sure they have studs and not blades. You will definitely need a mouth guard as well, and if playing full contact (instead of tag) you might want a helmet. He will need a shirt, socks and shorts in his club colours.

For the undergarments, under his club shirt mine wears a padded shirt (body armour), and underneath that a thermal long sleeve wicking top. Oh and gloves - two pairs - a wollen pair with fingers and the fingerless "sticky" rugby ones on top.

Some clubs have a recycling club for kit because they grow out of it so quickly.

Hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now