Talk

Advanced search

Advice about using running machines and running trainers.

(28 Posts)
Babieseverywhere Sat 10-Sep-11 11:39:39

I am fat and unfit but trying to improve.

I currently walk about 1.3 miles a day on the school run and attend an one hour aerobics class twice a week (for the last four months or so).

I have rescue my old running machine from the spare room and I'm going to set it up in our bedroom today.

I am downloading MP3 files from here to tell me what to do and I'm trying to put the files on my phone or kindle.

Q1. Just checking that the couch to 5k is suitable for running indoors on a treadmill and do I keep it on the flat or incline slightly ?

Also I need to buy new trainers mine have holes in the bottom and having kept up the aeorbics classes I have promised myself that I will splash out on some new ones. Looking to get something cheap from Sports Direct as they seem to have a large selection and are close to me.

Q2. Can I get one pair of trainers to run in and do aeorbics in ? Anything I need to look for or will anything do ?

TIA

alibubbles Sat 10-Sep-11 13:01:33

I've recently taking up walking and do about 20 25 miles a week too. I am considering buying a treadmill for the winter months, so looking to see what people say too.

i went to a David Lloyd club ( not a member) sports shop and they put my feet on a special mat etc and told me what type of trainer I needed, whether my step was pronated or not and then advised me on trainers. I didn't buy from they as they didn't have any instock, but told me where to go.

I ended up with a pair of Mizuna that cost me £20, heavily discounted end of season shoes, recommended by the store owner who had run the marathon in the mens version.

I though, well £20 nothing to lose compared to £120 for the Asics, which I have had previously, they are fantastic, so comfortable I went and got a second pair and have walked miles in them!

BlowHole Sat 10-Sep-11 13:10:28

Just a quick safety announcement here: please use the safety cut off clothing clip on the treadmill, you can really hurt yourself if you fall and the machine doesn't cut off, as I found out recently.

afishcalledmummy Sat 10-Sep-11 13:21:12

Hi Babieseverywhere - good for you for deciding to get fit!

In response to your questions:

Most of the time it is suggested to put the treadmill on an incline of 1% to replicate the extra effort of running outside. That is not to say it's bad to run with it on 0%, but if you go from a flat treadmill to outside it might be a bit of a shock as you have to generate the forward movement, rather than the road moving beneath you.

Re your trainers, I wouldn't recommend running and doing aerobics in the same trainers. You should go to a proper running shop (not a sports direct) and get your gait analysed. Most now do this by filming you running on a treadmill and seeing how your foot rolls through each step. Most people overpronate, which means their foot rolls inwards and this puts pressure on the knee and hip and can cause injuries. Running shoes have varying levels of support on the midsole to stop your foot rolling and the running shop can tell you which ones are suitable for you. They might be expensive the first time, but for future pairs you can just buy the same shoes from the internet (though I like to get my gait checked once a year or so). It is recommended to go up 1/2 or even a full size to give your foot room to spread as you run - too small shoes can lead to losing toenails (ick).

When you're doing aerobics, you don't just move in a forward plane - you move from side to side, stopping and starting and thus you put different pressure through your trainers. If you're putting too much pressure on the supportive part of your running shoe you can reduce the support and therefore lead yourself to injury. A cheapy pair of cross trainers from Sports Direct would, however, be fine for aerobics.

Good luck - and remember to warm up, cool down and STRETCH when you're running, even on a treadmill.

Babieseverywhere Sat 10-Sep-11 14:57:17

Thanks for the replies.

Yep, will use safety cut off clip. Hope you feel better soon Blowhole

alibubbles, afishcalledmummy, I think this is a proper running shop ? It does 'Motion analysis' on it's stores treadmill. I know it says all levels catered for, just hope they don't laugh at someone like me trying to run sad blush

But I want to try and learn to run as I already have the treadmill and the aerobic ladies want us all to do an 8 mile fun run next year and I doubt I could run to the top of the hill atm.

afishcalledmummy, Re the 1% thing, I think I will train at 1% incline then I am not floored when/if I try to run outside.

Two more stupid questions...

Q1. Is the shop I found above a proper running shop ?

Q2. If I go to the above running shop and get properly fitted running trainers, can I use them for the aerobics as well or will I knacker them bouncing around ? I'm trying to avoid wasting money but will buy two separate pairs if necessary.

Babieseverywhere Sat 10-Sep-11 14:59:13

Cancel Q2, I have reread posts and see pp said "I wouldn't recommend running and doing aerobics in the same trainers."

So cheapies from Sports Direct and a running pair from another shop....will do.

StickyGhost Sat 10-Sep-11 15:07:46

Absolutely agree with afishcalledmummy, that is sound advice about the trainers. Running ones have a lot more grip on the bottom, so they tend to stick to the floor on indoor surfaces and so it's relatively easy to twist an ankle or fall over in them if ur doing something like aerobics, cos they stick. As said above, get a cheap cross-trainer from Sports Direct, something with a pretty flat sole; very little grip. And get some advice about ur foot and gait type at a running shop; but don't buy from there, far too expensive. You can find online or at Sports Direct.

afishcalledmummy Sat 10-Sep-11 15:08:42

Yes it's a proper running shop! And they won't laugh at you, they'll be pleased to make a sale and convert another non runner! I've used them in the past (a different branch) and if you want to save money don't be afraid to ask them if they have any of last season's shoes around - the manufacturers change the colours and thus you have a new season premium.

From not being able to run at all to 8 miles in a year is very doable. I went from a non runner to doing a half marathon in 9 months! I got up to about 30 minutes on the treadmill and started running outside and struggled, so went back to run/walking for a few weeks until I got used to the difference!

Good luck, and be aware this is addictive!

PS - get a proper sports bra! Many "sports bras" can't cope when it comes to running, so either go for a super supportive one, or wear a compression style top (with hidden support iyswim) over the top if you're large of bust.

Babieseverywhere Sat 10-Sep-11 15:44:10

I'm very large of bust, so yep will need a sports bra, I wear my most supportive bra for aerobics and it is not enough.

Wish me luck ladies, I'll report back later.

rookiemater Sat 10-Sep-11 15:46:54

Some running shop will do gait analysis and footwear recommendations and charge £10 if you don't buy the shoes from their shop. Then you can trawl the internet and usually get them at least £20 cheaper.

afishcalledmummy Sat 10-Sep-11 15:47:02

I run in one of these and my boobs don't move at all (am a G cup). They last forever too!

alibubbles Sat 10-Sep-11 16:10:55

babies of course they won't laugh, I don't even run - my knees give way, so I walk very very fast! The reason I went for new shoes was because my cross trainer were making my feet sore and getting pins and needles and burning on the soles of my feet from walking. Now I'm fine.

I also made DH get proper tennis shoes instead of his trainers, they haven't improved his game much, but he is better on his feet!

akaemmafrost Sat 10-Sep-11 16:18:48

I have just posted about this very subject in Chat.

I generally run about 25 km a week but it is really difficult for me to get out these days for various reasons.

So am looking at buying a treadmill. Is it worth it? If I am used to running outside is there any point, will it be as effective? Thanks

StickyGhost Sat 10-Sep-11 18:16:31

Definately a treadmill is worth getting if you can't get outside and run, although I was always told by coaches/gym instructors to set it at a +1 incline to match the effect of running outside. I always found treamills a bit hard on my knees if I used it exclusively, so tried to mix it up with a run on natural surface sometimes as well.

Babieseverywhere Sat 10-Sep-11 18:43:32

Well I shouldn't of worried they were absolutely lovely to me. grin

I was honest about my level of fitness (low) and they could see how out of shape I am but both staff members were so friendly and encouraging.

The male trainer had me walking on their treadmill for 5 minutes and filmed my gait, wearing a pair of 'neutral' trainers...very bouncy. Apparently my feet lean in and I need strong arch support. He was an angel and rummaged through their sale stock in the back of the shop and got me Brooks Women's Addiction 7 which looked like these Addiction 9's I assumed these were two models older and just £30 !

I also got a pair of funny socks which are padded on the bottom and really thin on the top. Then I went on the treadmil again in these trainers, it felt much more solid underfoot than the bouncy ones. He said they fit so I bought them and a large water container for aerobics class. smile

The lady trainer helped me with a sports bra. She had sold out of the size I needed and she has ordered one for me, should be here next week, I think it is this one Note reduced to just £15 !

She also had a chat to me about starting to run, how to start and build up running. She mentioned that if I intend to run outside on varying surfaces, I should work with the treadmill on a 2% incline.

Then she invited me to their 'free to attend weekly 5k run/walk' I said I would see how I get on with running at home first. Very welcoming, I may try it in a few weeks but I want to see how/if I get on at home first.

alibubbles Sat 10-Sep-11 20:19:24

Brilliant, I am so pleased for you. It gives you confidence in yourself, now to get on and do it! Well done!

Babieseverywhere Sun 11-Sep-11 00:24:25

I will do ! Starting Monday. I am trying to figure when best to fit in 30 minute run plus shower.

Plus I have found bigger gym clothes in Marks and Spencers so when I get some extra money I'll invest in some proper exercise clothes smile

Babieseverywhere Mon 12-Sep-11 19:02:25

I just finished my first Run/Walk and did 1.29 miles in 30 minutes, not sure how bad/good that is but I survived ! Feeling good, I have my own central heating going on, LOL

My DH did 1.69 miles and I am so proud of him, as he never exercises normally smile

Tomorrow is my aerobics class and we have both agreed to try C25K again on Wednesday.

Wish us luck grin

afishcalledmummy Mon 12-Sep-11 19:07:54

Well done Babieseverywhere! A great start! Don't worry about time and distance ratios at the moment - they're irrelevant, that you're doing the exercise for the allotted period is what counts so well done you!

Make sure you stretch after running as you don't want to stiffen up too much tomorrow. I wish I followed my own advice as I ache like hell today!

Babieseverywhere Mon 12-Sep-11 19:14:03

How do we stretch ? Any recommended websites ? I'll google if I don't see a reply shortly. smile

Babieseverywhere Mon 12-Sep-11 19:39:08

I did some of the leg stretches I remembered from my aerobics class, I hope that is enough.

afishcalledmummy Mon 12-Sep-11 22:46:37

Sorry, have been entertaining!

Best stretches are for calf, quads, hams, glutes and hip flexors when you're running. Will google and find proper instructions for decent ones in the morning (am tired now).

By the way - have some sports kit that is too big for me and barely worn that I can post to you if you want it - all size 16. PM if you want me to pop it in the post.

afishcalledmummy Tue 13-Sep-11 08:38:10

This is a really good stretching resource for runners. If I were you I'd do them all and hold for around 30 seconds each after each of your runs. If you're pushed for time you can drop the Iliotibial Band stretch and the groin stretch.

The forum on Runners World is quite friendly and they have lots of beginner resources so it might be worth spending some time on there.

Babieseverywhere Tue 13-Sep-11 15:59:40

Thanks for the link/advice.

Several of those stretches I know from aerobics, except the wall ones. I'll try them after my second run/walk attempt tomorrow smile

Babieseverywhere Wed 14-Sep-11 18:49:49

I did aerobics yesterday and today was my second go at week one C25k run/walk.

I felt better and about half way was really enjoying the running bit and thought I could run forever and then I got very tired and slowed down...a lot, LOL. grin

But I enjoyed the exercise and I was surprised when I lifted my kindle off the treadmill that I went further this time, 1.45 miles smile

My sports bra's arrived so off to the nice sports shop tomorrow night to pick it up and if they ask, I'll tell them how I am doing smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now