Talk

Advanced search

Exercise advice for bad back

(8 Posts)
ChablisLover Thu 08-Sep-11 17:57:18

Was going to tae bo class twice a week until bad back kicked in.

Any advice of exercises to strengthen back and also something I could do for stomach that doesnot involve sit ups or crunches.

Can still do a plank just about so something along those lines would be useful. Would pilates be any good?

Sorry for so many questions and thanks in advance

Kladdkaka Thu 08-Sep-11 21:16:05

My physio recommended a rowing machine for strengthening the back.

Sleepwhenidie Thu 08-Sep-11 23:46:32

As well as doing planks and side planks try this:

Lie on tummy, legs straight and arms bent and flat on floor (as if you would be waving both hands if stood up). Lift your upper body off the floor a few inches and hold, then release and drop down. You can work your upper back too by adding in a straightening of your arms (so arms tight into ears) while your body is raised, then returning them to bent and lying back down. Repeat 10 times and rest. Build up to doing three sets of these, adding more as you get stronger and can do three sets of 15.

I can give you variations on the basic planks too if you want....

Interesting back info...a PT I was speaking to recently said that for each abdominal exercise you do you should do 3 times the number of back strengthening exercises, that is how important your back is! I am definitely guilty of not following this rule though! I guess you only realise when you get back problems sad

Hope you feel better soon.

ChablisLover Fri 09-Sep-11 09:21:48

Sleepwhenidie - thanks for the info.

If u could give me some variations on the plank exercises I would really appreciate it,

Sleepwhenidie Fri 09-Sep-11 22:40:56

Two variations on side plank:

-when in position, dip your lower hip down towards the ground (so you make a v type shape) and then lift back to straight position, repeat as many times as you can manage, aim for three sets of 15-20.

- when in position, raise your upper arm straight so pointing skywards, with palm forward. Then bring it down in front of you and then through the gap underneath you. This tips your body round slightly, working your waist. You can also do this holding a small dumbbell if you want to make it harder.

Both of these can be made (much grin) harder by supporting your body on a hand, with straight arm, rather than resting on elbow, same as you can make a full plank harder by using press up position arms.

To make a full plank harder rest one foot on top of the other, or use a bosu ball/Swiss ball to rest your feet. Basically anything which makes it harder to balance - a smaller point of contact such as one foot, or an unstable surface, will make your core work harder.

If you go to the gym, bent over rows with a barbell are great for strengthening your back, just be careful with weight you use with your existing problem. Try maybe 2.5kg on each end and see how you get on, work up if ok.

If you are willing/able to throw cash at this, one of the best pieces of equipment for core and back exercises (and pretty much any other body part) is a TRX suspension trainer, very useful to have at home and to take with you if you travel. You can get one for around £100 on Amazon....lots of vids on YouTube of people using them. I have one and nothing touches it for core strengthening!

HTH x

Sleepwhenidie Fri 09-Sep-11 22:45:39

Oh I meant to add, I dont do it myself but I think pilates would probably be great for you, but make sure your instructor is aware of your back problem so that he/she can keep a very close eye on your technique so that you don't end up in a worse state.

ChablisLover Sat 10-Sep-11 12:09:36

Thanks

Will start to try these

brighthair Sat 10-Sep-11 14:53:27

I do a combined pilates and yoga class which is great for abs, I really feel it grin doesn't aggravate my sciatica either
My evil friend made me lie face down, feet on Swiss ball and one hand each on a medicine ball and then pull Swiss ball in with feet so bum was up in v shape - made total fool of myself falling over blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now