Talk

Advanced search

Shred for Couchto5Kers and anybody else

(268 Posts)

This thread is a spin off from the CouchTo5k 2011 Pt 3, where some of us decided that as well as doing the C25K we would try the Shred (preferably wearing purple nail varnish)

All Shredders are welcome, not just those from the C25k thread (and not just those with purple nails).

Having completed Couch to 5k recently and hit a plateau of not making much more progress (possibly due to being 3 stone overweight), I got talked into trying the Shred.

Day 1 was today - I enjoyed it but it was hard! Am waiting to see how my muscles feel tomorrow, when I am supposed to Shred, run and play tennis. Hmmm.

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 06-Sep-11 21:03:17

marking place, thanks WhoKnows x

JelliBelli Tue 06-Sep-11 21:10:42

I'm here too!

I have done the whole Shred shock before but I feel the need to refocus on the toning so I am coming back for more torture. I'll be a slightly late starter though as I need to order a new copy.

Remember to take you measurements at the start though to compare with at the end of the 30 days.

LinzerTorte Tue 06-Sep-11 21:40:17

I'm in! Have survived Day 1 and am almost looking forward to doing it again tomorrow. smile Now all I need is some purple nail polish, or rather time to apply it.

I remembered to take my measurements so shall be remeasuring obsessively with interest. grin

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 06-Sep-11 21:44:31

YY to measurements. I hadn't thought of that! I did Day 1 today and it was fine. But I do want to keep the running going. How do we do that?

And I have purple nails. Of course. wink

blabalalalablabla Tue 06-Sep-11 21:45:08

Can I join?
I'm a lapsed shredder after taking a break over the summer holidays - need to get back on the wagon though and these threads have really helped me stay on track.
Day 1 for me tomorrow.

I have purple toe nails, natural fingers, will switch over for winter soon. Linzer I find the best time for toenails is while I am doing the ironing, as I know I will be standing still for a long time. Base coat, 10 mins ironing, 1st coat, 10 mns ironing, etc. Then put on flip flops and go out to give it really time for setting hard. Fingernails I do at bedtime, same thing really, 10minute intervals of reading and varnishing, then go to sleep with hands on top of the duvet.

Chinwag Tue 06-Sep-11 21:53:23

Please can you enlighten me to the Shred??? Am intrigued.....

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 06-Sep-11 22:00:40

<wibble>
but what do we measure?

Hello Blalala and Chinwag.

How far did you get with it Blalala? I found being on a thread for C25k really motivated me, so when a few of us on that thread decided to Shred we though a separate thread would be useful.

Chinwag It's a fitness DVD called 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels (I think she was the Fitness coach on the Biggest Loser USA). Its short (20 minutes) but very intense, combines cardio, strenght and ab work using hand weights and is designed to shift inches and weight fast. You are supposed to do it for 30 consecutive days, 10 days at. each of three levels. Have a look at it on Amazon.

<<not sure if her tape measure will be long enough>>

blabalalalablabla Tue 06-Sep-11 22:19:52

I've only ever got to level two because I'm a perfectionist and needed to follow Natalie properly before I moved up to the next level

But found it extremely effective and saw visible results within a week - stomach was considerably reduced and I looked a lot more toned.

I've love to do C25k but just don't have the combination of childcare and time grin

Have probably done it on and off over the last year and really enjoyed it.

shreddedandnotatallsmug Wed 07-Sep-11 03:05:56

Helllllooooo everyone,

just popping in to mark my spot. Day 3 for me tomorrow morning!

LinzerTorte Wed 07-Sep-11 05:07:36

Disappointingly, I am hardly aching at all this morning - must push myself harder today (without knocking any children over)!

Pistey I measured my waist, hips, thighs and upper arms and also weighed myself. Am sure I've forgotten something, though!

WhoKnows The ironing/nail polish thing is a good idea; I don't think I was leaving long enough between coats for them to dry, either. Also used one of my Boots vouchers to buy a base coat, so am hoping that will help! Unfortunately I don't have time to iron this week either, so am leaving it for DH to do when he comes home, but maybe next week - when I really must start running again too.

Got up at 6.30 and did Day 2, this is very good for me as I am SO not a morning exerciser, but it's the only way I am going to fit it in. DS wandered in half way through but didn't bat an eyelid. Sports bra is in the washing machine getting ready for tomorrow.

LinzerTorte Wed 07-Sep-11 08:40:28

Well done, WhoKnows! I am a morning exerciser (not an evening person at all) but struggled to get everyone out of the house on time this morning despite getting up at 5.45 am, and there's no way I'm getting up any earlier.

Will have another go with the DC this afternoon; DD2 was getting really into it yesterday and was the only one to finish Level 2 as well (at her own pace and level, obviously!). Hopefully I'll be back to morning exercising next week once work is quieter.

shreddedandnotatallsmug Wed 07-Sep-11 12:54:16

Morning all!

I got up at 6.30 and did day 3. My chest and backs of my arms really hurt today. Blooming press ups (and I do the modified version of the modified version). My legs aren't too bad, must b the running.

Am going to try to leave work early enough to get my nails done this evening grin

LinzerTorte Wed 07-Sep-11 13:10:11

I was lying earlier - I can definitely feel it at the tops of my arms/shoulders today, although I'm still not as achy as when I first started running. My legs are OK too shredded, so all that running has obviously been worthwhile. grin

Off to do Day 2 now...

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 07-Sep-11 13:41:39

What....... do you mean we have to do it again?

melodyangel Wed 07-Sep-11 13:43:39

I was rubbish at posting on the C25K board but can I join in?

The shred DVD is staring at me from behind it celophane wrapper and tutting! I have Purple toenails but not fingernails, they are needed for stress release!

Will start on friday when both DC's are out the house! Do you have to do it every day or can I miss weekends? Are you all still running?

LinzerTorte Wed 07-Sep-11 14:18:34

Arf at Pistey. grin

Hi melody, I'm not running this week but that's more to do with a lack of time than the Shred - am hoping to start running again next week. I'm planning on shredding at the weekends too as I'm worried that if I take a break, I may never go back to it.

Well, I'm well and truly shredded now. It seemed very slightly easier in that I was actually able to answer the DC's questions some of the time today ("Why have they all got the same weights? Did they buy them on eBay? Why don't you know, Mummy?"). Was slightly worried halfway through when the DC went outside to talk to the neighbours' DC over the fence that they might invite them all over to come and watch, but thankfully they restricted themselves to telling them that I was "doing sport". grin

I'm starting to stiffen up now too, under my arms and my calves. Am planning to run tonight too. If the weather holds.

Melody I have purple toenails too.

I haven't dared play Level 2 yet to see how much worse its going to get, some of the clips in the intro are pretty frightening!

Linzer grin at the thought of all your neighbours coming in to see the Shred going on !

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 07-Sep-11 22:03:50

Ok - I did do it again!! The bit above my knee is achey but that is all, but I did do my measurements.

And I am so not telling you all what they are grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now