Talk

Advanced search

beginner marathon- where?

(7 Posts)
thehiddenpaw Mon 05-Sep-11 21:03:52

have persuaded pal to do marathon with me, we are both short distance ad hoc runners, fitting in with familyand work. She hates hills, I am just slow and want least hassle, standin round time etc. We live in north england. Our plan is to do one in next 6 months ish time, she does not want a goal a year away. I am just happy to have a running mate! i know lots of you do stuff like this, please give me some advice. Think we are talking April onwards. Thanks

DebiTheScot Tue 06-Sep-11 18:13:49

How far can you run now? I'm a runner (not serious, 3 times a week ish about 4-6 miles at a time) and I don't think I could do a marathon in 6 months time. Depends how much time you've got to commit to it though.
Check out runners world website for lists of events near you.

thehiddenpaw Thu 08-Sep-11 15:36:12

thanks DebiTheScor, can do 6 miles comfortable but slow, have bought book on marathon training which has schedule and am hapy will be able to get the miles in for 6months. The book comes highly recommended, called non runners marathon guide and 54 people posted on amazon about their positive experiences.

JelliBelli Fri 09-Sep-11 20:34:25

This list is probably a good start for you. Good luck.

thehiddenpaw Sun 11-Sep-11 16:58:10

thaks for list, that is very handy and gives good timescales for me to work with

ExpatAgain Mon 12-Sep-11 11:56:43

hi - I second using runners world, all the info/schedules/advice you need is there, for free. I bought that book too, it's helpful, more from the psychological viewpoint, looking at what gets you through modelled on diverse class of college students in the US training for a marathon. Both these sources helped me through my first..
April is a great time to do it, loads of events from then onwards, again all listed on runner's world and you can search by region. you'll need to book a place quite soon though, they get booked up. Schedules tend to be 16 weeks so starting just after christmas for an April marathon. Good luck!

thehiddenpaw Tue 13-Sep-11 20:56:29

thanks Expatagian and good to hear someone else who used book. The 16 week schedule looks doable, I was worried would have to fit in lots of 7 or 8 mile runs plus a proper long run so doing 3 and 4 miles most weekday runs seems a relief. Am thinking Edinburgh and wondering why Blackpool got a 'n/a' and if it has stopped

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now