Talk

Advanced search

Shocked! Will Arsene resign tonight?

(37 Posts)
CaptainMartinCrieff Sun 28-Aug-11 18:20:55

8-2! I can't believe it! Genuinely in shock.
Why oh why has he not bought anyone? I never thought I would see the day. Is it the board or the manager.

<sobs>

What has happened to my team?

CaptainMartinCrieff Sun 28-Aug-11 18:29:30

Just me in shock then? sad

PersonalClown Sun 28-Aug-11 18:35:19

I'd laugh but we got clobbered just as much. North London took a beating today.

MadameCastafiore Sun 28-Aug-11 18:37:13

You are not alone - DH is walking around like a very sad small boy!

Reckons they won't sack him after the result in the week but reckons if somethig doesn't happen soon he is going to tear up his season ticket and get one for Colchester Utd instead!

Rindercella Sun 28-Aug-11 18:40:13

I have to say I am absolutely delighted at the result.

My disclaimer is that I have absolutely no interest in football at all, but I know my amazing late husband will have been cheering Man U on from the bench. So I am really really happy. Especially after Man U stuffed Spurs 3-0 the other day.

8-2, 8-2, 8-2 Way to go Manchester United grin

Have to say, I couldn't give a stuff about Kenneth Williams Arsene. Sorry!

CaptainMartinCrieff Sun 28-Aug-11 18:59:44

I don't think he will be sacked either, he earns the board and club too much money, but I think he may resign.
I know Spurs took a beating as well, I'd be laughing if I wasn't so depressed.

smelli Sun 28-Aug-11 22:53:31

It's all politics. It's not Arsene Wenger's fault, it's Peter Hill-Wood, the chairman. He sacked David Dein, who madethe deals. Nasri's agent is Dein's son. Hill-Wood is a backward looking old Etonian. He opposed the new stadium. He opposed the notion of finding a very rich person to bankroll the club. He is the 3rd generation of his family to sit on the board. We need to appoint someone on merit, not on surname.

crazynanna Sun 28-Aug-11 23:01:11

We need some players! We have nearly finished paying for the stadium now,and it's all good Arsenal being the rarity of being a Premiership club still in the black,but we need some bloody players!

Disclaimer...all the above overheard by DS on the 'phone to his FIL wink

80sbabe Sun 28-Aug-11 23:26:27

I was there to witness it. We are however Man Utd supporters so I am not very sad about the result. Sorry about that.

However I would like to say that the score line, although fabulous if you support Man U does not reflect how hard Arsenal really did try, and there were some fantastic moves from them. To be honest Szczesny made some superb saves and without his skill and quick reactions it could have been well into double figures. Just watching MOTD I notice they have gone for a Man U total rout angle which is not entirely the case.

Arsenal were clearly a team weakened by suspensions, injuries and departures and they would probably have come a cropper today against any other team in the Premiership. I was beginning to feel very sorry for them by the end because they did try harder and probably are a better team than they looked. They have some huge talent, and young talent in that team but as soon as they went 4-1 down they seemed to crumble.

I don't think Arsene should be sacked or resign, he is doing the very best he can with the raw materials he has available. He needs to be allowed to spend money, he should have been allowed to do so much more over the summer and he needs to feel valued. He's a good manager, they would not have been consistently in the top 4 teams for the last decade if he wasn't.

CaptainMartinCrieff Mon 29-Aug-11 08:27:50

I agree he shouldn't Arsene Wenger is an amazing talent, this is the manager that bought us Vieira, Fabregas, Bergkamp (he did bring in Bergkamp didn't he?), Henry... but he has 2 days to buy some players. Football has changed a lot since it was discovered you could thrown obscene amounts of money at teams and players if you had a Russia billionaire who likes to spend, spend, spend... Bloody ruined football he did and now City are at it too!

OracleInaCoracle Mon 29-Aug-11 09:03:00

I've not really followed football for the last 6y, but still consider myself an arsenal fan. I don't think he will be sacked, or resign... Yet. Its sad to see such a formerly great team and manager reduced to this.

Arsene didn't buy bergkamp, it was the manager between him and graham (boo) iirc. Can't remember his name off the top of my head but likened himself to a nursemaid.

God, just thinking, adams, bergkamp, veira, henry, martyn, that was a team!

CaptainMartinCrieff Mon 29-Aug-11 16:31:24

Bruce Rioch then...
Whoever it was who bought him, he was the greatest player to ever where an Arsenal shirt.
No resignation or sacking today... Let's hope he buys someone in the next couple of days!

Pan Mon 29-Aug-11 16:50:25

Man U fan here. I thought Sir Alex was very fair toward Arsene's plight, and obv. wishes him to remain in charge.

on the MOTD thing, they are limited to showing no more than 10 mins of each game as highlights, so with 10 goals and a penalty miss( couldn't have happened to a nicer man hmm) the editors didn't have much choice.

Still, it was fab-u-lous to watch the Arse getting spanked.

joke from twitter: "I'd 8-2 be an Arsenal supporter".

and it was the previous manager who brought in Berkamp. (Rioch?).

IT's going to be a looong winter for the Gunners. And sooo exciting to be a Red.

Pan Mon 29-Aug-11 16:55:53

lissie - it WAS a team!

SAF lost or got rid of Beckham, Scholes, Nevilles, Van Nist, Schmichael, Keane, Pique, Stam, Ole Gunnar, and a load of others since then - all "winners". Arsene just didn't replace ANY of your fab team with anything like the quality you lost.

Sunday - both teams av. age was 23 y.o. Arsenal's young ones were just too average.

OracleInaCoracle Mon 29-Aug-11 16:58:51

Yep, rioch. Thank god, it was driving me nuts. I agree with pan <waves, nice to see you back> I always get the impression that ferguson sees wenger as a worthy adversary.

Pan Mon 29-Aug-11 17:03:35

greetings to you too lissie!
<didn't mention Cantona, as he finished in 1997/8 - we got Sheringham, won the treble, then dropped him as well!>

OracleInaCoracle Mon 29-Aug-11 17:05:05

Totally agree. We need guts and gumption back in the team, instead he seems to be trawling european youth teams. There's no maturity or loyalty. We don't have the budget of city or chelsea... I always loved wengers stance on overpriced players, but football has changed. You have to pay a fortune now, or work hard on your youth team.

midnightexpress Mon 29-Aug-11 17:07:33

Ah whatever happened to the Arsenal back 4 of yore?

<sigh>

Pan Mon 29-Aug-11 17:07:38

I hear Arsenal are offering an away game for free for all of the supporters who came north on Sunday. A sort of apology apparently.

OracleInaCoracle Mon 29-Aug-11 17:12:01

God, cantona <reminisces golden era of football and afternoons drinking pints in the pub>

And that's probably why I prefer rugby these days.

OracleInaCoracle Mon 29-Aug-11 17:14:39

Midnight, wenger did great things for them! He added 5-6 years onto their careers and changed the way pre-match diets etc went. I miss them <sob>

Pan, heard that too. Fair play to them!

OracleInaCoracle Mon 29-Aug-11 17:14:41

Midnight, wenger did great things for them! He added 5-6 years onto their careers and changed the way pre-match diets etc went. I miss them <sob>

Pan, heard that too. Fair play to them!

Pan Mon 29-Aug-11 17:17:01

Whilst it's fine ot watch the games like that, I wouldn't want them relegated. I remember as a footie mad teenager watching us go down to Division 2, only a few short years after being Euro champs.

Ended up playing Orient FFS. (no disrespect intendedgrin)

Pan Mon 29-Aug-11 17:42:34

What doesn't help obv. is failing to finish any recent game with all 11 players on the pitch. Indicates a lack of leadership on the field of play.
<not that Roy Keane was a shinning example..>

OracleInaCoracle Mon 29-Aug-11 18:03:56

Oi, lay off orient grin totally agree re players being sent off. I'd expect it from dhs saturday team, not professionals on £££

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now