Talk

Advanced search

How do you breathe when you run?

(7 Posts)
LetLoveRule Mon 15-Aug-11 22:19:03

Sounds daft, I am sure, but it is bothering me. I am overweight but reasonably fit (can run 10k in <60mins), but I really huff and puff when I run. I have to breathe in and out through my mouth. If I close my mouth I feel like I can't breathe! It doesn't bother me too much when I am running on my own, although I do get funny looks when I meet someone coming the other way. A neighbour has asked if I would like to run with her sometimes - I would but I am too embarrassed about my noisy huffing and puffing! Is there anything I can do to improve my technique?

Ivortheengine8 Mon 15-Aug-11 22:21:16

I thought you were supposed to breath in through your nose and out through your mouth?
Well done for doing it though, don't worry what others are thinking.

mousymouse Mon 15-Aug-11 22:35:22

I breethe through my mouth or I feel that I don't get enough oxygen in.
to start with I breathe 4 steps out then 2 steps in, when I'm in 'the zone' I stop paying attention to my breathing.
I huff and puff as well as getting very red in my face after a few meters. in winter I also wheeze the first k or so due to asthma...
maybe we should run together smile

LetLoveRule Mon 15-Aug-11 22:38:12

Oh thanks for the reassurance. Yes, maybe I should just ignore it. When I've got my ipod on I can't hear myself anyway smile

Goldberry Sun 28-Aug-11 22:40:33

I'm a noisy mouth-breather when I run too, and I go red as a beetroot! I'm way noisier than anyone at my running group, but I don't worry about it too much. I do find that running 'tall' - i.e. chest up and a bit forward (but with relaxed shoulders) helps me breathe more deeply, but in a less gaspy way, iyswim!

miniwedge Sun 28-Aug-11 22:58:34

Put the tip of your Tongue behind the bottom two front teeth. Stops the gaspy breathing thing.

nocake Mon 29-Aug-11 16:45:21

In and out works for me grin

Don't think too hard about it. Just do whatever you need to get enough air in. I breathe fairly easily on long slow runs but in a 5k you can hear me panting and gasping from miles away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now