Talk

Advanced search

Agony after squats/lunges

(7 Posts)
Hellishday Sun 14-Aug-11 14:59:51

I have a personal trainer once a week, and had a session yesterday.
Did 10 mins bike/running then squats/lunges with weights. Nothing new, and I sometimes ache.
But today, I am walking stiff legged, hurts to bend, flutes in agony.
I had a weeks holiday with not much exercise apart from swimming.

Hellishday Sun 14-Aug-11 15:00:20

Or even glutes.

bran Sun 14-Aug-11 15:12:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GeeinItLaldy Sun 14-Aug-11 15:29:04

Yep, hurts more when you've had a little break.

Did you stretch afterwards? I'm really bad about stretching properly as I just want to get the hell out of there but I know I hurt much more when I don't take time to stretch.

Snuppeline Sun 14-Aug-11 15:37:40

I've got two suggestions for you:
1) put ice cubes and cold water in the bath and sit in it for as long as you can bear. It will help blood flow to your muscles and help the healing plus numb the pain. It seems strange cold rather than hot but its what athletes do and many posh gyms now have cold baths.
2) take a fairly thick cylinder shaped object which has some resistance and place it under your thighs. Cross your legs at the ancle and start slowly rolling your body (keeping the weight of your body on your arms and pushing it down onto your muscle) up and down the object. Stop whenever the pain is particularly sharp and keep it there for 60 seconds or until the pain is gone, then carry on. Do the next leg. You can use the same object to access the inner part of your thigs and your buttocks as well as arms etc, just use your body weight to press against it.

Why do number two? Well its like a sports massage only free. It also gets the blood flowing to the hurt area and will aid healing. In fact it speeds it up dramatically. Next time you can incorporate point 2 in your stretch routine and you'll never hurt like that again. Should you do point 2 and still feel sore tomorrow just repeat. You can do it without warming up too.

Go easy at first as you don't want to damage yourself, however, don't be afraid to hurt either. Good luck!

Needabitofsunshine Sun 14-Aug-11 19:57:13

A foam roller and time... High volumes of squats and lunges are notorious for giving pain afterwards. I once did a (stupid) workout of 400 lunges and couldn't move properly for the next 4 days. Stupid.

Hellishday Mon 15-Aug-11 13:49:58

Thankyou for your advice...I didthe icecubes, and it has worked.
Can almost run around today!!!!!
Pilates tonight, so some nice stretching.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now