Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone do aqua aerobics with water weights?

(6 Posts)
Wiifitmama Sat 13-Aug-11 19:03:31

I have got really into the aqua classes and was chatting to the instructor today about my need to tone my arms and stomach after losing 6 stone. She recommended getting wrist weights. Has anyone done this?

The reason I am apprehensive is that I run and know that you should never run with wrist weights so I was won ring if it was the same?

whomovedmychocolate Sat 13-Aug-11 19:05:19

Well your weight is supported by the water so you are only working about 20% of the weight IIRC. A better method though is to buy aqua aerobic gloves which force you to use your arm strength more. Congratulations on your weight loss.

Wiifitmama Sat 13-Aug-11 19:08:45

I saw those when I googled water weights. I did wonder if they would be better. The classes i do use a lot of those floating dumbbells so the gloves would not add anything at those times. But they would be good the rest of the time.

whomovedmychocolate Sat 13-Aug-11 20:12:30

I'm probably quite fit and can normally get through aquafit without breaking a sweat without them. But with them my shoulders ache like hell for the whole day. So I think they DO work.

You can still hold floating dumbbells wearing them - and noodles/whatever.

Wiifitmama Sat 13-Aug-11 20:27:47

Are you talking about the gloves or the weights? Are the gloves weighted?

jenniec79 Sat 13-Aug-11 20:32:42

I find paddles the toughest - but we have a pretty hardcore instructor!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now