Talk

Advanced search

Couch to 5k running technique - I'm confused

(6 Posts)
AKMD Thu 11-Aug-11 10:26:41

I've just started doing the Couch to 5K (like everyone else on here it seems!) and am at the end of week 2. 'Emma' gives some advice about running technique - heel hits the ground first, not the ball or side of your foot - and I am really confused as I thought that this running style was particularly bad for you and that you should run on the balls of your feet. I used to be quite a good runner before I got married pregnant and lazy and used the ball-first technique, never had any problems with joint pain or shin splints and found running a doddle. I tried running heel-first this week and my knees and shins are hurting so much I want to ice-bandage them before I go out again. Who is right - Emma or me?

Links to articles advising ball-first here and here

LawrieMarlow Thu 11-Aug-11 10:28:38

I don't have any technique, but I could never manage to run with my heels touching the floor first - not sure my heels ever do touch the floor tbh. I would stick with what feels OK to you.

duende Thu 11-Aug-11 23:01:58

AKMD, you are right, Emma is wrong.
smile

I only started runing a couple of months ago and I did heel strike at first. I ended up with terrible shin splints and knee pain. I then read about running techniques, landing on the ball of your foot, barefoot running, etc.
I stopped heel striking and voila, no more pain.

GypsyMoth Thu 11-Aug-11 23:05:47

'Laura' says the same on the nhs podcast......confused nowconfused

AKMD Sat 13-Aug-11 07:53:27

Oops, might be Laura. Laura/Emma, whoever is doing the voiceovers on the NHS podcasts. I posted in the NHS forum on this too and the responses have been similar. I think I'll just do it my way!

LawrieMarlow Sat 13-Aug-11 08:35:51

I was running across the beach last night and always put the ball of my foot down - my heel never touches the ground.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now