Talk

Advanced search

Running while pregnant?

(10 Posts)
birdsofshoreandsea Sat 06-Aug-11 19:20:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Earlybird Sat 06-Aug-11 19:23:42

Friends who are runners continue in the early months, and then switch to swimming lengths as pregnancy progresses.

bagelmonkey Sat 06-Aug-11 19:29:04

I had to stop at about 4 1/2 months because I was finding it so hard to eat I didn't want to use up all my calories running! I managed to keep going during the early nausea and fatigue, but I was eating better at the beginning.

birdsofshoreandsea Sat 06-Aug-11 20:41:20

Pfriend Sat 06-Aug-11 21:08:10

I ran to 27 weeks, then walked daily, generally about 3 miles. I know others who have run until the day they went into labour. I found the first trimester tough as I was very tired, but just kept the pace down.

Pfriend Sat 06-Aug-11 21:12:12

Oh and benefits, well, I did regain my fitness reasonably quickly post birth (despite gaining 3 stone!). It also kept me feeling like me. Drawbacks, well running did make me worried about the baby, I was always a bit tense until I could feel the baby kick for the first time after running. That was why I stopped at 27 weeks, as well as concern about taking a tumble.

birdsofshoreandsea Sun 07-Aug-11 08:31:50

skinnychai Sun 07-Aug-11 10:24:38

I ran up to 6 months but then stopped because the snow started. I can't stand running on a treadmill. I was sick a couple of times while running in the early stages and generally just did easy runs throughout and didn't push myself. I didn't gain excess weight and got back to my pre-pregnany weight after 3.5 months. If you do run, keep up with extra pelvis floor exercises!!

notyummy Mon 15-Aug-11 14:01:06

Ran up until 6 months, then did walking uphill on the treadmill. Also did pilates for pregnancy dvd, and some weights - all right up until the day I went into hospital.

rococopops Tue 16-Aug-11 11:40:29

I ran up to 28 weeks, helped me keep weight gain quite minimal, but then it just felt too uncomfortable. I was advised to tone it down as I was very anaemic and switched to swimming not quite the same but the baby loved it used to kick lots smile running is quite punishing on the pelvic floor so would be well complimented with yoga or pilates

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now