Talk

Advanced search

Electric Bikes

(7 Posts)
JCLFOULSHAM Mon 01-Aug-11 12:22:52

I have two children, 5 and 7. I just started working full time again and I try to get home and spend as much time with the kids in the evening as possible. But I'm also losing any free time I used to have to go to the gym. My office is decently far away from my house so I was thinking about getting one of those electric bikes to get some excersise without the route becoming too arduous or time consuming. Apparently you can get a bike and turn the electric feature off when you want a workout and turn it back on when you want some help. Do any of you have one of these?? What do you think of them?

keynesian Tue 02-Aug-11 08:07:46

What is the distance? How hilly is the route? How many times a week do you think you would cycle? It may be worth you trying with a non-electric bike first before you discount the non-power assisted option.

ragged Tue 02-Aug-11 08:10:59

They are manufactured locally & I see them around a lot (we live in a fairly flat county, too).
Agree with all the questions from Keynesian.
They are pricey & if you want to get any fitness out of the experience you might well be better off getting a real bike (quality one, spend no less than 500 quid) and showering yourself both ends of the journey, but not to be made every day.

JCLFOULSHAM Tue 02-Aug-11 15:09:17

My journey is about 20 miles each way. There are really only two hills that I find genuinely intimidating. I think I'd like to do this every weekday (not likely in the winter months though) and not in torrential rain. Can you recommend any brands? Electric or otherwise?

ragged Tue 02-Aug-11 20:14:28

Dunno, but this website must be your saviour!

ivykaty44 Sun 07-Aug-11 10:32:51

could you instead get a folding bike and drive towards work and then cycle the last mile and build up your mileage - by parking further away from work, as you get fitter?

JCLFOULSHAM Mon 08-Aug-11 11:03:41

That's not a bad idea, Ivy. I'll look into folding bikes.

Ragged, excellent website--the most comprehensive one I've seen yet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now