Talk

Advanced search

What is this shred business you speak of?

(8 Posts)
WishIwasCherryMenlove Tue 26-Jul-11 08:33:43

I am finding it really hard to go out to run/bike/swim with DS to look after and a DP who works unusual hours. So thinking of how I can exercise in the house in the evenings. I've heard the Shred DVD bandied around here - is it any good?
Or can you recommend any other DVDs/ways of exercising without leaving the house?
My waistline thanks you.

notyummy Tue 26-Jul-11 09:49:59

Shred is 20 minutes at a time by Jillian Michaels, and you just need trainers/sports bra, a mat and some weights. It is quite tough but as it is so short then it is manageable. The thing with any fitness regime is the self discipline you need to keep it up from home. I find variety is the key to that, so I use the Shred, but also a couple of her other DVDs (Burn fat, boost metabolism, 6 Week 6 Pack and No More Trouble Zones.) None of them are easy but will make a big difference if you stick with them. Other people also rate Davina - I haven't got any of her DVD but I get the impression they are probably slightly easier than the Jillian Michaels. I also use some Billy Blanks Tae Bo.

Running does make a huge difference to fitness and calorie burning levels, so although it is tricky fitting it in, it is honestly worth it. Even if you only manage once or twice a week as well as DVDs - and you dont need to try and get to a gym etc, just trainers/sports bra etc and off you go.

WishIwasCherryMenlove Tue 26-Jul-11 10:44:18

Thanks. Just so hard to drag myself out sometimes in between DS/DP/work and life in general! The shred sounds the way to go for me, that'll keep me ticking over when I am housebound

lubeybooby Tue 26-Jul-11 10:48:03

It's great as it's only 20 mins, so it rids you of any excuse not to. It's hard work, and there are various levels to make it harder as you go along and get better at it but again it being only 20 mins means it isn't a killer. Go for it!

musttidyupmusttidyup Tue 26-Jul-11 10:56:54

Do you have to be reasonably fit? I'm not sad. About 3 stone overweight. Still bf and kind if using as an excuse not to watch what I eat etc. Def need to do something tho.... Is shred an option for me?

notyummy Tue 26-Jul-11 11:09:49

I wont lie Musttidy - it is not an 'easy' DVD. Having said that, she makes the point that it is the same sort of stuff that she makes 25 stone people do on The Biggest Loser, so everyone should be able to do it. Most of the exercises have a modified version demonstrated so if necessary you could do that. Because it is only 20 minutes, every time you reach the 'argh my muscles are screaming I can't do this anymore' point, then she moves on to something else. If you are doing properly you WILL ache the next day - but if you keep at it then I am sure you would see a difference.

musttidyupmusttidyup Tue 26-Jul-11 11:31:39

Ok. £5.99 on amazon I'm gonna do it! Will start when get back from hols next week.
<reaches for large galaxy>

WishIwasCherryMenlove Thu 28-Jul-11 19:05:31

Just to say I have got mine on order now - shredding here I come!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now