Talk

Advanced search

My daughter is almost 6- is this too young for horse riding lessons?

(9 Posts)
BarbieLovesKen Wed 20-Jul-11 13:06:30

That's it really! Would really appreciate any advice or experieces

BarbieLovesKen Wed 20-Jul-11 13:07:28

Experiences! (sorry one handed typing - feeding baby)

CMOTdibbler Wed 20-Jul-11 13:08:53

Not too young at all - my ds has been riding since he was 3

DooinMeCleanin Wed 20-Jul-11 13:09:18

Dd1 went to her first one when she was five. She hated it and never went back. this year she had decided she actually loves horses and wants to go back but I wouldn't let her hmm

Still it's an improvement on wanting to join a hip hop truope because she fancies a boy who goes there.

Notinmykitchen Wed 20-Jul-11 13:09:29

Definitely not, I think at our local stables they take them from 4 upwards.

BarbieLovesKen Wed 20-Jul-11 13:26:38

Oh excellent! Will let her try so and see how she gets on.. Thanks for the replies.

grin at doin and your dds crush..

mountaingirl Sat 23-Jul-11 12:21:42

My 3 dc all started at 4 years old. Prior to that they used to have a little walk around on a Shetland pony. doinmecleanin why won't you let your dd try again? Surely she should be able to try again....

seeker Sat 23-Jul-11 12:25:40

Before about 3 isn't good for their hips. After that, go for it-as long as you can find a teacher who understands little ones. Some riding schools employ v young instructors who sometimes find very small children difficult.

generalhaig Tue 26-Jul-11 18:38:21

it depends on the stables - the one nearest us (and the least expensive) won't take children until they're 8, and the heavily-subsidised council-run holiday courses also require children to be 8, others will take children from 6, but I have seen younger children around on ponies so there must be some places which take them younger - your best best is calling some of the stables near you and asking

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now