Talk

Advanced search

Wii - fitness

(5 Posts)
ristretto Mon 18-Jul-11 13:36:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

vernier Mon 18-Jul-11 14:13:36

I'm not really sure on the wii fitness things. I've heard from friends that they are fun at least.

I read the apartement therapy blog. And they have nice series' on Wii Fitnees and Xbox 360 + kinect workout things. Maybe helpful?

www.unplggd.com/unplggd/personal-health/xbox-360-kinect-vs-wii-balance-board-will-the-kinect-make-me-healthier-week-13-151479

aquos Mon 18-Jul-11 14:20:59

I got a Wii fit a couple of months ago. It is fun and is a nice way to get back into exercise. I've now also bought My Fitness Trainer for the Wii which gives me a much harder work out. I've lost a stone in a couple of months. No dieting, just sensible food choices and portion control. I've also gotten into cycling and get out on my bike a couple of times a week.

I've got kids and it's fun to play on the Wii fit together ( until someone is a bad loser and storms off in a strop).

VivaLeBeaver Sun 24-Jul-11 10:54:00

I got Sports Active for the Wii and thought it was crap. The band round my leg kept slipping off and even when it was on the machine would tell me I wasn't squatting dowm, etc when I was. Gave up with it.

Wii Fit Plus has some good ones on it. The cycling seems very good for calorie burning. Others are more fun than exercise but if you already have the board then I'd recommend getting the game.

I've just got zumba and I think thats really good. So far I've only done hte 20min beginner class but it gets me very hot and sweaty. The band stays on fine and even if at times the computer might not register what I'm doing exactly it doesn't matter. With Sports Active when it thought you weren't doing it properly it would keep telling you over and over to do it again. With Zumba it carries on regardless but the instructor goes red if you're not keeping up and green if you're on target. I've only done it twice, just got it last week so actually the chances are that I'm not keeping up. There are instructor lessons to learn the steps which I haven't really bothered with, just trying to pick it up as I go along. There looks to be lots of different levels and different classes in the same level.

notyummy Tue 26-Jul-11 09:41:17

Some of the Wii stuff is ok - the muscle toning and yoga are both alright. I also have EZ active and if you do the hard stuff on that it is a reasonable workout.

Overall this sort of thing is better than sitting on the sofa doing nothing at all, but realistically it is not going to make much of a difference. Proper aerobic exercise (jogging/swimming/cycling) plus circuits/weight training is the only thing that will make a noticeable difference to your fitness levels. Anything else is nice as an added extra, but shouldn't be forming the basis of a fitness regime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now