Talk

Advanced search

Help! Need to get rid of the Mummy Tummy!

(10 Posts)
BootyMum Tue 28-Jun-11 21:38:01

Hello all,

Does anyone have any advice on getting rid of a pouchy saggy stomach. I have a 4 month old DS2 and stomach is ruined! When I press down on it all I can feel is soft fat, I appear to have completely lost my stomach muscles!Was actually asked the other day if I was pregnant sad

Currently I walk everywhere with a double pushchair but this is the extent of my "exercise" routine. TBH I don't really enjoy exercise... I know Shred is recommended here but having read the reviews on Amazon I am put off by the fact that apparently the fitness expert tells you you should feel like you want to die [whilst doing her exercise routine]. I fear that if I buy this DVD it will just be another one gathering dust on the shelf...

If anyone has any suggestions or personal success stories please let me know, even if you really want to say how fabulous Shred was for you [you never know, you may convince me!]

I have Lindsey Jackson's Pilates for Mums already [bought after DS1 was born 2 years ago and never viewed blush]

belindarose Tue 28-Jun-11 21:43:40

Oh God, me too. I tried Shredding but was ill (unrelated to the Shred!) soon after starting so never managed 30 days. Tried starting again last night but by the time I went to bed my back was hurting so much I couldn't bend down! Probably not the shred but too much carrying of a toddler (this is post breastfeeding flab I have to lose - carried on eating the same, which was a bad idea!). Anyway, to get to the point, I'm going to try swimming tomorrow. We have an outdoor pool in town so cold enough to motivate real swimming. IF I think I can cope, I'm going to buy a season ticket (£50!!!) which will FORCE me to go at least twice a week. I really need a bit of 'me time' now too and DH plays football twice a week. I'll just have to do different days. Good luck!

belindarose Tue 28-Jun-11 21:45:08

DD pushing my tummy and saying 'oh, it's a bit like bread' ought to be enough of a motivator! I assume she means bread dough rather than rock hard rolls!

BootyMum Tue 28-Jun-11 21:49:27

Thanks Belinda!

I think for me breastfeeding doesn't help weight loss at all, it makes me retain fat! I noticed that when I stopped breastfeeding DS1 I started to slowly lose the pregnancy weight which had been stubbornly clinging on. I'm hoping the same might happen with DS2. I'm eating less than I did in pregnancy and walking more [with heavier double pushchair] but seems to make no difference to me losing weight confused

In my case it is bollocks that breastfeeding helps you to lose the weight!

belindarose Tue 28-Jun-11 21:54:42

Interesting, isn't it! I used it as an excuse to eat more cake and probably didn't notice the flab as she was always lounging on it! Now she's walking, outings are at snails' pace and no more long, brisk walks with the pushchair!

notyummy Wed 29-Jun-11 10:51:46

Unfortunately (may not be what you want to hear...) I think exercise needs to feel like bloody hard work, or you are probably not working hard enough to have any impact. That said, it is still pretty early days so don't be too hard on yourself. Ideally some cardio (v fast buggy pushing would count - as long as you are breathless) plus toning/conditioning i.e weights/pilates/circuits. The best thing about the shred is that it is only 20 mins. Hard- yes, but short.

Are you a healthy weight, or would watching diet help? Obviously you won't want to do anything radical whilst bf, but being careful for portion sizes and cutting out processed carbs might help.

Joby1970 Wed 29-Jun-11 12:55:10

the shred is amazing - it's the only DVD i'v used to the full & it made me fit enough to go and get a gym membership & use it

EnSuiteShed Wed 29-Jun-11 13:03:09

Could you perhaps see if there is an Aqua class near you?

I went along to one with the assumption that it would be a breeze, lolling about with a load of oldies grin, but it was actually a really hard workout and some of the exercises really work your abs and obliques.

Just be aware though that there is a condition where your abdominal muscles can move apart after being pregnant and no amount of exercise will repair this. Unfortunately you either have to put up with it or have surgery.

I am sure that if you popped along to your GP and explained then they will be able to rule this out.

Zumba is also a good fun workout.

BootyMum Wed 29-Jun-11 13:35:58

EnSuite it does feel as if there is a separation in the middle, like the muscle doesn't join up IYSWIM...

Do you know how long it normally takes for this to resolve naturally after the baby is born?

Perhaps I should see the GP just to check [I never actually went to an 8 week check post birth blush]

EnSuiteShed Wed 29-Jun-11 17:07:08

Well please don't take my word for it, as I have no medical experience, but I think that if the muscles separate, then they are permanently separated. Basically it means that you could be doing 500 sit ups a day and you would still have a rounded tummy, because the muscles are unable to hold everything in IYSWIM.

There was a lady on Embarrassing Bodies a while ago who had the condition and although she was very slim, she had a round tummy like she was pregnant.

They basically said that the only thing that she could do to remedy it was to have surgery, and she was ecstatic afterwards.

I suppose it depends how much it affects your life.

Of course it could be that it's just a bit of baby podge grin.

I think seeing your GP is the best thing if you can't shift it, but 4 months is still very early after having a baby smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now