Talk

Advanced search

General Consensus on Sports Drinks and Supplements

(7 Posts)
topsi Sat 11-Jun-11 14:11:23

Does any one have an opinion on any of these products or use them with good effect?
I am just wondering if it is worh trying something before I run to boost my work out but don't want to waste my money.

Meglet Sat 11-Jun-11 14:15:15

Sports drinks seem to give me the runs blush. I stick to water.

I sometimes have a biscuit and a small piece of cheese before a work out so I have some sugar and carbs in my stomach. Even a banana is too much for me to exercise on.

I take loads of vitamins & supplements though, multi-vits, omega 3,6,9, echinaca, milk thistle, aloe vera, probiotics.

topsi Sat 11-Jun-11 15:05:24

Is that cos they have caffine in them Meglet??
Sometimes when I run I feel I have no energy at all and wondered if there as a magic drink or pill that would help?

Meglet Sat 11-Jun-11 15:49:41

It might be actually. A mix of caffiene and sugar can't be good for the stomach!

fridayschild Sun 12-Jun-11 08:46:21

Sometimes I run to work first thing in the morning - 8 miles on an empty stomach. An energy gel does make a difference, unsurprisingly. However I think they taste awful and I don't like the texture. I wouldn't use them any other time

June2009 Sun 12-Jun-11 17:13:08

a banana is usually too much for me however half a banana and a handful of cashew nuts and raisins does it nicely!
you could also try some kind of protein bar.

i also take some supplements (advanced higher nature complex something and acidophillus, also glucosamine for joints and omega 3 fish oil.) i think they made a big difference to my energy levels.

nocake Mon 13-Jun-11 16:52:28

There's a big difference between sports/energy products and supplements. Sports drinks, energy bars and gels are to give you energy during your workout. They're useful for longer training sessions (over an hour) but if you're eating a healthy diet they're just extra calories that you don't need.

Supplements are designed to provide your body with something that's missing from your diet. Vitamins, protein, omega 3 etc. If you are well and have a good diet then there's no point taking them. There's no evidence that glucosamine or additional fish oil is of benefit to your joints and extra vitamins just get flushed out of your system. They're just a waste of money.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: