Talk

Advanced search

If you are overweight and very unfit how do you get over the embarrassement factor of runnig in public?

(27 Posts)
lilibet Mon 06-Jun-11 15:39:28

It's all in the title really............

exoticfruits Mon 06-Jun-11 16:15:02

Someone who had been obese, rather than overweight was on TV and they started with coat and handbag so that people thought they were just running for a bus!
I started running early in the morning when not many people were about. I'm not bothered now and can go anytime.

starfishmummy Mon 06-Jun-11 16:30:51

I used to go for early morning walks, with a bit of running when I was in an secluded place!

melliebobs Mon 06-Jun-11 19:33:03

i sometimes go running but don't like it outside. Not cos i'm overweight but bcuase I look like i'm crap at it! Proper gasping for breath, bright red on the verge of purple, sweating like a don't know what. My attitude is sod um, i only see them briefly as i drag myself past them and i will never see them again!

tiredemma Mon 06-Jun-11 19:34:24

early morning runs, or running in the park as opposed to running around busy streets.

GreenTeapot Mon 06-Jun-11 19:47:35

I'd like to know the answer. I live in a small town and can't go to the chemist for fanjo cream without bumping into a client hmm so running's just Not Going To Happen.

brabbinsandfyffe Mon 06-Jun-11 19:50:46

Along the seawall path for me..walk two mins run about 45 seconds at the minute...must be totally obvious how crap I am at it and keep being tempted to switch to walking when people appear, but sod it, we all start somewhere so I'm trying to tough it out smile

orienteerer Mon 06-Jun-11 19:51:58

I don't judge people I see out running by their size. They are actually out there running which deserves massive praise.

YummyHoney Mon 06-Jun-11 19:52:08

I would say you have absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about if you are out running.

It doesn't matter how big you are - it's obvious to all that you are trying to do something about it - I think it's admirable and sure lots of people will think the same. smile

CandiceMariePratt Mon 06-Jun-11 19:56:43

I joined a beginners running group so there was lots of us looking the same, now I just don't care what anyone thinks

PhyllisDiller Mon 06-Jun-11 20:23:04

For some odd reason, I don’t know why, but a cap always helps me. I’ve done the start thing several times, once for the1st time (pre baby) and then twice after each baby when I’d stacked on loads of weight.

The other thing that was completely essential was some gear I felt comfortable in. I went on one run in trousers that were a bit too low down and a top that wasn’t long enough, it was awful, it was all ok when I tried it on (standing stillish). I spent the whole run tugging at my top. Now I try stuff on and have a bit of a jump in the fitting room to make sure my jelly belly can’t escape. A good sports bra is essential anyway but a good one makes you feel a lot less self conscious.

Go for it, all the better if you have a friend up for it too.

LiverpoolLeap Mon 06-Jun-11 20:28:39

I go running often and sometimes see quite overweight people out running, too. I always think: you won't be overweight for long if you keep that up! So go for it - people will have nothing but respect for you.

And very soon you'll be shopping for Lycra workout gear in much smaller sizes. smile

Rassy Tue 07-Jun-11 12:23:51

I wear sunglasses as well as a cap!

Ormirian Tue 07-Jun-11 12:25:01

Early am or after dark. Until I got a bit fitter and then didn;t give a toss. Mind you I wasn't overweight but still a bit flabby and unfit,

Anybody who already runs will just respect you for being out and running, anyone who doesn't run and who judges you for being overweight and running is just a twat anyway so their opinion doesn't matter.

BelovedCunt Tue 07-Jun-11 12:26:13

i went on a cross trainer to get my fitness up and lost some weight before starting. running when i was heavy hurt my knees too much.

lilibet Wed 08-Jun-11 13:09:44

I'm going for it in the morning. I shall wear a cap.........

oh dear

Wheelybug Wed 08-Jun-11 13:12:14

Wear an ipod so you can't hear anything that anyone might shout - which some tosser will do, whatever size you are but those that matter will just be impressed. And just think how good you are for doing it ! Good luck.

UmYeahLikeTotally Wed 08-Jun-11 13:18:36

good luck lilibet!

I felt so self-conscious when I first started at the gym, but you do get used to it. I don't give a toss what other people think now, and I'm not skinny by any stretch of the imagination!

I also agree with Phyllis, it is an essential to wear something you feel comfortable in. If you are constantly worrying about your top riding up/trousers falling down it makes you feel more self-conscious.

Keep your head up, take some music with you and take no notice whatsoever of anyone else!

Have fun smile

brabbinsandfyffe Wed 08-Jun-11 21:08:26

Go for it. I haven't been all week but if you're doing it, I might have to give it a go tomorrow too smile

lilibet Thu 09-Jun-11 09:10:06

I did it!

I looked like this angry

But I did it!!

thank you

Jajas Thu 09-Jun-11 09:13:34

Brilliant well done lilibet!

I would always think good on you if I saw someone overweight out running - what's not to approve of - the only way is up smile!!

Ormirian Thu 09-Jun-11 10:13:01

Well done lilibet! The benefits will become clear to you very soon. You will feel better, more energetic, happier! There will also be days when you really really don't want to go, when every footstep feels impossible, when your body seems like it's made of lead but the good runs will outweight the bad! smile

Wheelybug Thu 09-Jun-11 14:59:34

Well done Lilibet !

I look like that too after a run and I've been running for a couple of years. Shows you're putting effort in (however unflattering) grin

chocolateteabag Tue 14-Jun-11 10:57:35

It's mostly in your head. Ask yourself "what do I think when I see someone walking/running?"
I always think good on them, and then guilt as I am slobbing in the car or whereever.
Therefore I like to think others think the same.

However it is also good motivation to push that extra bit harder - just in case someone ever said to me they have seen me out "walking"! Not that anyone ever has.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now