Talk

Advanced search

Can I get from a BMI of 32 and very unfit to running a marathon in 10 months?

(10 Posts)
AngryFeet Fri 03-Jun-11 10:33:43

Just reposting this here now I have been redirected!

Anyway I want to run the London Marathon next year with my Dad - he has run 29 marathons and wants to do his 30th in London in the Olypmic Year. A few years ago I lost a lot of weight for my wedding and got myself fit over a year and easily ran 6 miles non stop with very little training so I know I can run pretty well. However in the last 2 years I have put all the weight back on and have done no exercise so feel pretty rubbish.

My Dad can get me a place through the charity he runs for and I would really like to do it but don't want to accept if it is unrealistic.

Can I get that fit in 10 months?

MmeBlueberry Fri 03-Jun-11 10:38:35

Have a look at this:

www.runwindsor.com/prepare.htm

AngryFeet Fri 03-Jun-11 10:59:46

Ooh thanks that is really helpful! I will get started tomorrow smile

MmeBlueberry Fri 03-Jun-11 12:57:59

That's the key - to just get started. Good luck!

June2009 Fri 03-Jun-11 14:02:02

yes you can, I did just that.
can you get a personal trainer? how much time can you make spare?
I started 01/07 last year, got a personal trainer twice a week, did around 6 hours of training a week (joined classes at the gym, body combat, body pump, spinning, circuit)
I also saw a nutritionist once (a half hour) for free who told me roughly what to eat, what to avoid, what portions should be like. I saw her again, an hour for £35 and she gave me a questionnaire beforehand, then told me what supplements/vitamins I should try. I still take those as I feel they work for me(stamina, digestion).

I went from 98kg to 63kg and I ran 10k in 52 minutes this week.

I'd say start slowly so as not to put you off. I started with half hour sessions with my trainer.

rookiemater Fri 03-Jun-11 14:06:22

Do start slowly. 10 months is a long time away and there is Winter to consider so in order to keep you motivated I would sign up for a 5k,10k and half marathon spaced out so you have something to aim for. Bear in mind that for the last couple of months you will need to do at least one very long run per week i.e. at least 2-3 hours in addition to running 2-3 times during the week, so make sure you are able to schedule in that time.

It's fun, I trained up for a half marathon from jan and ran it last weekend, I didn't lose loads of weight but my bottom half has trimmed right down.

rookiemater Fri 03-Jun-11 14:07:07

Oh and big respect June2009, I don't think I will ever get sub 1hr for 10k, actually anything less than 70 mins would be a bonus!

AngryFeet Fri 03-Jun-11 18:48:41

I can pretty easily spare 6 hours a week so I was planning on doing some cardio and strength training during the week at home then doing a short run each morning of the weekend when DH is around to watch the kids.

I can't really afford a trainer right now but may be able to towards the end of the year - plus I can run with my Dad who knows how to train properly smile Might see about the nutritionist though since it is a one off.

When I did a 10k a couple of years ago the most I had run in one go was 5k but I still managed it in 70 mins. I just need to get to that level of fitness again by Nov so I can easily do 6 months of marathon training.

I think that is doable tbh. I think I can lose 2 stone in the next 5 months then I will be 11st which is still overweight by a stone but not obese smile

nometime Fri 03-Jun-11 18:53:28

Hi Angryfeet, I am with you, I am overweight and have put in for a place for the London Marathon. If I don't get a place I will apply for the Moonwalk. Goodluck, just thought that you'd like to know there is somebody else in exactly the same position out there.

fridayschild Mon 06-Jun-11 21:30:10

See if ParkRun is near you (google it) - free 5k races every Saturday morning in your local park. The one near me is very friendly and supportive. You can check the results of the race to see if you are going to be last, if that worries you. I find it useful to go as my short fast run, and I find it helps to run with other people.

The other thing you could do is to join a running club, though you might want to wait till you can do 5 - 10k happily first. A club would have other people doing the marathon, who can help with training. Much cheaper than a personal trainer.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: