Talk

Advanced search

runners united (burning up pavement, burning up threads)

(995 Posts)
drivingmisscrazy Fri 29-Apr-11 07:54:28

calling all runners, veterans, newbies, fast, slow, anyone who likes to run to keen sane, keep things in perspective and to get out into the spring sunshine. We are a friendly bunch and all of us have things to learn from each other! Welcome. Please join us

01/05/11 - Great West Run (Half Marathon) Thetasigmamum
02/05/11 - Ashdon 10K: bonkers20
07/05/11 - Forres (Benromach) 10k: backwardpossom
10/05/11 - Burbage Skyline 5.75 miles: Hatwoman
14/05/11 - Chester Half Marathon: IreadthereforeIam
15/05/11 - Oxford Town and Gown 10k: Goldberry
21/05/11 - Clare Burren Marathon Challenge - drivingmisscrazy
22/05/11 - Edinburgh Marathon: MrsWednesday
22/05/11 - Merchant Taylors' Triathlon: MoshiMoshi
22/05/11 - Edinburgh Half Marathon: backwardpossom, squix
29/05/11 - Stirling R4L: squix
29/05/11 - Plymouth Half Marathon: sungirltan
30/05/11 - BUPA 10K: MoshiMoshi
05/06/11 - Seaford Half Marathon: Doyouthinktheysaurus
05/06/11 - Tilty Hilly 5(mile): bonkers20
05/06/11 - RFL 10k: LaLa
08/06/11 - Claver Peak 5 miles: hatwoman
11/06/11 - Clumber Park R4L 10k Hamster
12/06/11 - Bath R4L 5k Dillinger
12/06/11 - Redcar half marathon - DrNortherner
12/06/11 - The Heroes half marathon - Futurity
19/06/11 - Dash for Dads - Pawsnclaws
19/06/11 - Half Ironman UK 70.3 - Twink, MoshiMoshi
25/06/11 - Lewa half marathon Kenya - Masterandmargaritas
26/06/11 - Stortford 10 miles - thecoo
26/06/11 - Colworth half marathon - cestlavie
10/07/11 - RFL 5K, Kingston & Kempton Park: Wheelybug
10/07/11 - Felsted 10K: bonkers20
17/07/11 - RFL St Albans - Pawsnclaws
17/07/11 - Dublin Mountain Plod (HM) - drivingmisscrazy
18/09/11 - GNR: Hamster, Run for fun, popsycal, LaLa
23/09/11 - Notting Half Marathon: cestlavie
24/09/11 - mooathon, donegal: drivingmisscrazy
25/09/11 - Edinburgh Urbanathlon: backwardpossom
16/10/11 - Abingdon Marathon: MoshiMoshi
30/10/11 - Great South Run: Wheely, squix
10/12/11 - Clonakilty Waterfront Marathon (half): drivingmisscrazy

Goldberry Fri 29-Apr-11 09:47:41

Ooh, a shiny new thread! I'm going to try to keep up with this one a bit better. Good luck all those with races fast approaching. I'm not doing my 10k on the 15th, but am pleased that I seem to be building my running back up now, post-injury. Went back to running group on Tues and managed to keep up ok even after 2 months off. I'm half-way through reading Born to Run and am feeling very inspired.
On that subject, although I'm a little doubtful about going for the full-on barefoot running thang, I did wonder about going for some lighter-weight, less built-up heeled shoes next time and trying to run with the midfoot strike. I think that's how I used to run anyway, before someone told me I should be heel striking. I'm trying to walk around barefoot as much as poss, to strengthen my feet. Any wise words, any of you who are pro-barefoot?

thetasigmamum Fri 29-Apr-11 09:49:34

I've woken up with a twingey knee!!!! But it may be psychosomatic.

Today weather forecast for here was lots of rain. It is not raining. This is annoying since it means I can't rely on the forecast for Sunday. sad

drivingmisscrazy Fri 29-Apr-11 10:53:13

hi goldberry - the last one went by like the wind, didn't it? Glad the recovery seems to be going well. Why on earth did someone tell you to heel strike? hmm

I've been reading about the barefoot, low cushioning, natural running trend too (last Runner's World I picked up full of ads for this kind of thing); is it just marketing? it does make sense - Inov8 have a series of shoes with progressively lower heel heights. I'm curious but nervous about it, given my history of achilles problems and endlessly tight calves, but maybe barefoot (style) would help? I don't want to get hurt, but I would like to be running better. Views, people?

Goldberry Fri 29-Apr-11 13:07:28

Yes, those are the kind of questions I'm asking too, drivingmisscrazy. I haven't had any achilles or calf problems, just this outer foot niggle, which may or may not have been a stress fracture. What worries me about barefoot or low-cushioned running is that the only person I know personally who does it must weigh about half what I weigh! I have always thought it made sense that heavier runners would need more cushioning. It wasn't until I read Born to Run that I began to question that. I'm rather enjoying walking around barefoot - it feels like being a kid again. I'm encouraging my dd (5) to walk around barefoot more too. She says she wants to be a runner - maybe she can toughen up her feet from an early age and avoid all these injury problems!

peachsmuggler Fri 29-Apr-11 13:38:18

Ooh, new thread!

Hi Goldberry, glad things seem back on track. Don't know anything about barefoot running (asides from Reading Born To Run!) but agree barefoot walking is lovely!!! I tend to stay barefoot in the house too. Loving the fact your wee DD wants to be a runner!

Theta deep breaths love! You'll be fine. Try not to worry about the weather (easier said than done) as there is nothing you can do about it. Think....zen!!!!!

Just back from run. T'is indeed very spookily quiet out there, apart from a handful of other runners. Was quite tiring, bit then I was up half thenight with DD. [there should be really be a mn tired emoticon]

MrsWednesday Fri 29-Apr-11 14:12:42

Perhaps we could use shock for [yawn] instead. Well done for getting out for a run Peach.

Good luck in the race tomorrow Theta, as Peach says, there is nothing you can do about the weather - just concentrate on the things you can control. Sounds like you are really well prepared, so hopefully you will be able to enjoy it.

Good luck Bonkers20.

Thanks for starting the thread Driving!

I've done my long run for the weekend - 18 miles this morning, it was glorious as I went on a bit a meander around the area, through some bluebell woods in the sunshine. Then I got lost and had to run for 6 miles along the main road which was less glorious!

Happy running all, off for a hen weekend in Derbyshire now and although I'll be with my oldest friends from student days, will try and remember that I'm a 'honed athlete' hmm and not go mad on the alcohol. Wish me luck on that one...

Goldberry Fri 29-Apr-11 14:29:28

Thanks peachsmuggler. Yes, I love it that dd wants to run too. I come from a family to whom exercise does not come naturally - I guess that's why it's taken me a long time to embrace it. If I have passed my new-found enthusiasm to the dc then I am very happy! DD looks much more built to be a runner than me - she has enviably long legs and looks a bit like a whippet!

squix Fri 29-Apr-11 14:43:42

Hello new thread!

Good luck to everyone running this weekend.

backwardspossum - thanks for that route info on Edinburgh - I'm getting excited too. I'm used to running up hill at the start of any training session I do, so I will be interested to see what a different hill profile will be like.

moshi - thank you for the ballet info too.

I run in very cushioned shoes and have a very high arch and a heavy impact - so whilst I find the idea of barefoot interesting, I don't really think it's for me, but am interested in the concept - would be interested in anyone's experience of using barefoot / low cushioning on a treadmill in particular.

Rest day for me today, then an early, short run tomorrow before an all day workshop, then long slow run on Sunday. Have a good weekend everyone!

sfxmum Fri 29-Apr-11 14:58:18

Thetasigmamum & bonkers20 Good Luck to both

marking place, thanks for starting thread Drivingsmile

sfxmum Fri 29-Apr-11 15:00:50

forget to add about flexibility I am actually quite bendy I used to do quite a lot of Pilates and some Yoga I guess it helped
I tried to get back to it last year but did not find a suitable class, I should make more of an effort as it really helps with core strength and general flexibility

MoshiMoshi Fri 29-Apr-11 16:41:10

Thanks for setting this up misscrazy!

peachsmuggler Fri 29-Apr-11 17:48:25

Well done on your 18 miles Mrsweds, am sure we can trust you to be the model of restraint on your hen weekend!!! Have fun.

Yes, forgot to say, thanks for starting the thread misscrazy, I was hoping someone more articulate than me would do it! grin

Good luck for Sunday bonkers, are you about???

Good luck again to theta!

I feel similarly to you goldberry, I grew up a bit of a stranger to exercise and looking back feel quite shameful that I spent the first 30 odd years of my life being woefully unfit. Would love DD to be into something sporty, and would love to go running with her when she is older.

Thanks all for the heads up on Edinburgh. It is a marathon that I have in my sights for when I eventually do one. Although it is in May, there's a good chance it won't be hot, ha ha. Good to know about the downhill and flatness. Will very much be looking to Mrsweds race report, and possum and squix on the half.

bonkers20 Fri 29-Apr-11 17:54:04

Hello! Had a great run with DS this morning. I gave him a 15 min head start on a 4 mile run around the fields and footpaths. I didn't catch him and started to get worried that he'd fallen, got run over by a car or kidnapped!
Got home to find he'd been home 10 mins already! So, I suppose I only need to give the little devil a 5 min head start. He's only 12!

Left at 10.30 and got home just in time to do some stretching infront of the telly and the royal wedding. Lush!

10K on Monday (gulp). First race since I had DS(age 2)! Thanks for the goodluck peach I'm excited, though it's a hard race. I'm hoping for 50mins.

peachsmuggler Fri 29-Apr-11 19:17:37

Goodness, your DS is speedy Bonkers! Ah it's Monday, 50 mins would be an awesome time!

Goldberry Fri 29-Apr-11 19:34:56

Good luck, Bonkers! How great that you go running with your ds. I hope my dd's interest continues. My main problem at the moment is going to be reigning in my enthusiasm - it always goes in phases. Whenever I hit a keen phase, I tend to overdo it - hence the foot injuries, I suppose. I'm hoping to fit in plenty of cross-training to get fitter without overdoing the running.

drivingmisscrazy Fri 29-Apr-11 19:50:58

yes, good luck. I did a (to me) fairly creditable 10k in about 57 minutes this morning - I now have a slightly sunburned face though blush. I had one of those moments about 35 minutes in where everything felt like crap and I was wondering why on earth I was doing this, etc etc. I figured out afterwards that it was probably lack of fuel (no breakfast before setting out). But I did get through it - I probably lost 2-3 minutes there which is irritating in retrospect. Sigh.

Herecomesthesciencebint Fri 29-Apr-11 19:58:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

drivingmisscrazy Fri 29-Apr-11 20:10:05

herecomesthesciencebint very sorry for you - but we've all been there, and in those situations I always try and remember that it's never an individual run that matters, more the pattern over weeks and months. It's always horrid.

here's the speed session:

W/up 1-2 miles
0.25 miles fast
60 sec recovery jog
0.5 miles fast
90 sec recovery jog
0.75 miles fast
2 min recovery jog
1 mile fast
3 min recovery jog
0.75 miles fast
2 min recovery jog
0.5 miles fast
90 sec recovery jog
0.25 miles fast
60 sec recovery jog
W/down

MoshiMoshi Fri 29-Apr-11 20:10:07

sciencebint - runs like that give you an excellent mental workout that will prove invaluable at other times when you need to dig deep for that extra effort. There is no logic to why some are easy and some hard but we ate subject to a huge number of variables, especially as mums/dads and working parents some of us too. There ate a few major reasons for starters!

drivingmisscrazy Fri 29-Apr-11 20:40:54

moshi you are so right - my little nadir involved pulling out one or other mantras - 'you can do more' - I'm not normally a fan of such hokum pokum, but it actually works...

MoshiMoshi Fri 29-Apr-11 20:57:20

Hmm. iPhone likes to make are become ate.

bonkers20 Fri 29-Apr-11 22:24:54

Awww, you're such a lovely bunch. I only thanked Peach for the good luck, but others have said it as well (I just didn't scroll up the thread high enough). So, thanks. I will be inspired by the collective well wishes of MN runners.

Yes, DS is speedy. This was actually the first time we've ever been out together, but it will be lovely if we keep it up. Like many children (boys especially?) it's often easier to talk when you're doing something together rather than sitting him down saying "well now......". We have aspirations of doing a marathon together when he is 18. I'll be 46!

As for running styles. I am a firm believer in just running in a way that is comfortable for you, rather than what the books say. I also have never used a HRM or any sort of training device. I just run. Sometimes I feel great, other times not so and I naturally adjust my pace to how I feel rather than push myself too hard, or ease up because "the computer says so". I think this is partly why I've never been injured. It's also down to luck as well I know. I did get my gait analysed the other week which was fun. The man was proper impressed and said I had a perfect running gait. He didn't give me a free pair of running shoes though. grin. OK, off my soap box and off to read some RW threads (that's royal wedding, not runners world!).

backwardpossom Fri 29-Apr-11 23:14:25

Hmm, I got a bit tiddly today (street party - um, ended up wearing my wedding dress at my most drunk) and am supposed to be doing 12 miles tomorrow morning. Let's see how that goes... Arf!

Husband has fallen asleep on the couch. Tempted to leave him there while I go to bed. Like having the big bed to myself! wink

Wheelybug Fri 29-Apr-11 23:20:23

Good luck thetasigmamum and bonkers20. Hope all goes well ! Look forward to hearing all about it.

Hope your run goes ok backwardpossum on a hangover smile. I was suprisingly, uncharacteristically well behaved today and absteined and went for an early evening run. 5 miles - but felt the big lunch and two helpings of pudding weighing a bit heavy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: