Talk

Advanced search

Friend wants me to take a bellydancing class with her, but I am too chicken

(20 Posts)
MargueriteArgeneau Tue 16-Nov-10 01:44:22

Today a very close friend said "I know! Let's do the free first class of bellydancing and if we like it it's only $10 a week!"

CRINGE

I am a big fat jiggly thing. I carry a lot of weight in my post c-section flab and the thought of doing something to deliberately wiggle it around in public is horrifying.

Waaaaah blush She really wants me to do it with her. I'm scared.

TechLovingDad Tue 16-Nov-10 01:46:00

You won't be getting your belly out, though, will you?

I bet it's full of women who feel exactly as you do. When you come out, you'll wonder what the fuss is about.

RespectTheDoughnut Tue 16-Nov-10 01:50:36

Ah, but if you do do it, imagine the confidence you'll build. The only person you'll now there is your 'very close friend' - someone who won't be judging you. Even if the others will (yeah right, they'll be all hung up on their own confidence crises / actually learning the dancing!), you don't know them, so who cares? It's just one free class, what can you lose?

MargueriteArgeneau Tue 16-Nov-10 02:01:11

Well that's true. I would bellydance in her living room, so why not a class. I do live ^in a very very small town with a large circle of stuck up yummy mummies, but tbh why the he'll should I care what they think?

Besides, if Trillian was there she'd just think "Good for you!" wink

MargueriteArgeneau Tue 16-Nov-10 02:02:47

Dang predictive text makes me post like a dolt sometimes.

TechLovingDad Tue 16-Nov-10 02:03:57

Those yummy mummies don't give a fuck what you think, why should you care what they think? Do they influence your life in other ways?

MargueriteArgeneau Tue 16-Nov-10 02:05:38

No they don't. I'm just nervous about my jiggly stomach. But fuck the yummy mummies! I will bellydance at least once!

RespectTheDoughnut Tue 16-Nov-10 02:06:29

Hahaha

I think it'd be nice - I don't have anyone to drag me to these things, & I imagine that it's a nice, safe, female environment. I think that a lot of the problem between women in terms of judging on appearance arise when there are men around to compete for. If it's a women only thing, it tends to be a lot more about the silliness than the glamour, even if they are yummy mummies.

Besides, bellydancing wasn't designed for skinny women.

TechLovingDad Tue 16-Nov-10 02:06:44

So wear a tshirt, dress as if going to the gym. You don't get your belly out there, do you?

RespectTheDoughnut Tue 16-Nov-10 02:07:02

Cross post - I'm pleased for you that you're going to give it a go. Report back grin

TechLovingDad Tue 16-Nov-10 02:07:21

Besides one can't belly dance without a belly, can one?

RespectTheDoughnut Tue 16-Nov-10 02:09:39

I like the very deliberate grammatical distancing of yourself there, TLD grin

TechLovingDad Tue 16-Nov-10 02:11:04

Obviously. I doubt I'd enjoy belly dancing much, though.

MargueriteArgeneau Tue 16-Nov-10 02:13:54

Nope, this is in the middle of nowhere so I fully intend to wear sweats and a t-shirt.

RespectTheDoughnut Tue 16-Nov-10 02:15:42

Oh psh. Men think it's funny to swing their penis around in circles like a helicopter; you're in no position to discount such things wink

TechLovingDad Tue 16-Nov-10 02:18:22

Exactly Marguerite, so you have nothing to worry about. Enjoy it!

Respect, swinging your penis around IS funny!

But I wouldn't go to belly dancing myself, at least not to take part grin

jabberwocky Tue 16-Nov-10 02:20:45

I took belly dance classes for years and then actually taught a beginners class for a few. It is a wonderful way to exercise and to start really getting to know your body and love yourself the way you are made. I have seen tiny women dance and large women with rather floppy bellies and they were all incredibly beautiful. I used to tell my students, "I am not really teaching you how to dance, I am just helping your body remember how it can move".

Please give it a try and throw a long swishy broomstick skirt in your bag because I guarantee you will want to put it on and twirl around before the class is over!

RespectTheDoughnut Tue 16-Nov-10 02:30:16

My mistake, TLD grin

jabberwocky, the 'helping your body remember...' thing is really nice. I like that. I don't think my body has ever known how to move with any sort of rhythm, but it's quite tempting to try it now!

jabberwocky Tue 16-Nov-10 14:34:01

I really think you will be pleasantly surprised.

anotherbrickinthewall Tue 16-Nov-10 14:35:53

go for it - I've done belly dancing classes in the past - it's like other forms of dance - about elegance and controlled movement - rather than wobbling tummy, tits and arse! It's great for all ages, shapes and sizes, honest.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: