Page 40 | What are you most looking forward to POST-Brexit?

(1000 Posts)
Pumperthepumper Sun 15-Dec-19 17:42:14

I was a remain voter, and voted tactically against the Tories. I lost.

But onwards and upwards! We’re getting Brexit in January, like it or not, so I was just wondering what everyone was looking forward to the most?

I asked on a different pro-Brexit thread but nobody gave me an answer.

For me it’s the 350 million to the NHS with no trade deals with Trump. Or the continuing Peace in NI with no messing around with the GFA. Or the trade deals we’ve been promised without any reduction in standards.

I’m so ready to be convinced of how brilliant Brexit will be! Let me hear your positives, please flowers

OP’s posts: |
Peregrina Wed 01-Jan-20 10:43:28

BBC Has to accept they do not control UK

A Brexit Bonus then, if we no longer have to put up with Farage on the BBC.

malylis Wed 01-Jan-20 10:45:06

MPs have not betrayed their constituents.

You had to accept the original referendum, but moaned and bitched for 40 years. Shut up now telling others to pipe down.

Greece and Italy? pah hahahah, soundbite politics with no understanding or causes or history.

The brexit vote was the loser vote, you voted against your own interests manipulated by posh public school boys because you need to have a reason why you are a loser.

MysteryTripAgain Wed 01-Jan-20 10:46:12

As we are in charge of all of our monetary and fiscal policy this was always in our own hands

EU prevents members making trade deals direct with other countries. Eurozone is only 15% of world trade. So outside Eurozone is the remaining 85%.

UK has a trade surplus of £44 Billion with non EU countries, but a trade deficit of £64 Billion with the EU.

Is it not obvious which is the market to target?

DorisDaysDadsDogsDead Wed 01-Jan-20 10:49:28

Oh dear, there's that lack of understanding of trade again...

MysteryTripAgain Wed 01-Jan-20 10:50:12

Post Brexit that won’t change

Leaving the EU will enable the UK to make trade deals direct with other countries.

Why would you look at trade figures in isolation rather than the overall benefit?

How is being the third largest donor to the EU in return for a huge trade deficit a benefit?

Peregrina Wed 01-Jan-20 10:50:59

MPs have not betrayed their constituents.

A correction is required here - it's only Remain voting MPs who betrayed Leave voting Constituents. The other way round with Leave voting MPs betraying Remain constituents is perfectly fine. wink

Not that being Lexiters and voting with the Tories helped either Denis Skinner or Caroline Flint.

Parker231 Wed 01-Jan-20 10:52:40

We have a trade deficit with the EU as they have more goods we want than they want from us - that won’t change. The EU is, and will remain the UK’s biggest trading partner.

malylis Wed 01-Jan-20 10:54:10

Utter dribble.

We have a trade surplus with the rest of the world because we don't buy much from the rest of the world. We certainly don't sell much. If the ROW counts 44 billion trade susplus that's less than one percent of gdp where as trade with the EU is worth 15 percent of gdp .

Sad little loser brexiters still making shit up with data.

Which direct trade deal would benefit the UK more than the EU? Evidence based facts please.

Parker231 Wed 01-Jan-20 10:55:36

It is estimated 3,445,000 jobs in the UK depend upon exports to the EU - rather a significant benefit of trading with the EU.

MysteryTripAgain Wed 01-Jan-20 10:55:55

Because you have no choice

Correct. In a democracy the majority opinion prevails and losers consent by default.

You either except the UK is leaving the EU and get on with your life, or you move to an EU country where you’ll feel happier

I agree. Why don’t all the remain supporters leave the UK and move to their beloved EU and take orders from Germany?

Moaning away on the internet is getting you nowhere

Correct. Recent election was the second referendum on leaving the EU and leave won again. Some people are just bad losers.

jewel1968 Wed 01-Jan-20 10:56:09

Sam and Dirty I am not moaning I am curious and trying to understand what positive changes we might see over say the next 5 years. And for those people you describe as moaning I think they are just expressing disquiet at what they see as massive problems ahead. They have explained very clearly the negatives they anticipate but I am yet to hear the positives from those that support leave in any detail.

malylis Wed 01-Jan-20 11:01:35

If the recent election was a second referendum then remain won

Shut up about people moaning, you didn't shut up for 40 years. Opposition is part of democracy.

MysteryTripAgain Wed 01-Jan-20 11:10:29

We have a trade surplus with the rest of the world because we don't buy much from the rest of the world. We certainly don't sell much. If the ROW counts 44 billion trade susplus that's less than one percent of gdp where as trade with the EU is worth 15 percent of gdp

Exports to the EU represent 44% of UKs total exports. The remaining 56% is outside the EU.

The UKs trade deficit with the EU began around 1999 and has increased yearly to £64 Billion.

Sad little loser brexiters still making shit up with data

The leave voters won twice. First time in 2016. Second time in recent election.

Which direct trade deal would benefit the UK more than the EU?

Any as Eurozone is only 15% of World trade. So remaining in the EU shuts UK out of 85% of trade opportunities.

MysteryTripAgain Wed 01-Jan-20 11:12:13

If the recent election was a second referendum then remain won

So why did the remain parties not form a coalition government and revoke Article 50?

Hazybobs Wed 01-Jan-20 11:14:20

I’m mostly looking forward to job losses, increased reliance on food banks and losing rights and freedoms I was born with all to foster more cash for a handful of very wealthy people to the detriment of the UK. Oh, wait...

MysteryTripAgain Wed 01-Jan-20 11:15:20

It is estimated 3,445,000 jobs in the UK depend upon exports to the EU - rather a significant benefit of trading with the EU

That’s about 5% of UK population. I wouldn’t call that huge.

Unemployment hit that level during the Thatcher reform era. I don’t remember the UK going bankrupt as a result.

jewel1968 Wed 01-Jan-20 11:17:05

Good point malylis. I am reminded of straight banana....

ContinuityError Wed 01-Jan-20 11:29:41

It is estimated 3,445,000 jobs in the UK depend upon exports to the EU - rather a significant benefit of trading with the EU

That’s about 5% of UK population. I wouldn’t call that huge.

It’s almost 12% of the UK working population, so it is a significant number (especially if you’re one of that 12%).

malylis Wed 01-Jan-20 11:33:46

" so why did the remain parties not form a coalition"

Either you don't understand the difference between a referendum and the parliamentary seat system or are being wilfully disingenuous.

From the standard of your posts, and the fact that you have posted the same comment before, I'm going to take the first as the reason.

malylis Wed 01-Jan-20 11:35:22

12 percent of the UK working population and of course with major multiplier effect. 74 percent of businesses employ one person, the owner.

ContinuityError Wed 01-Jan-20 11:36:49

Any as Eurozone is only 15% of World trade. So remaining in the EU shuts UK out of 85% of trade opportunities.

Rubbish.

85% of UK trade is with the EU and with countries that are part of EU trade agreements. And nothing stops the UK trading with the other 15% of countries, such as China and the USA.

Hullabalooo Wed 01-Jan-20 11:44:10

My Irish citizenship came through on Christmas eve so I'm all set!

jasjas1973 Wed 01-Jan-20 12:01:36

Recent election was the second referendum on leaving the EU and leave won again. Some people are just bad losers

The cons got less votes than Remain got in the referendum, where as remain supporting parties got more votes than Leave got in the referendum.

Our weird FPTP electoral system does not mean the country supports leaving the EU.

Your analysis on how world trade works is just as odd.... services is 80% of our economy, new direct FTA's will not help that grow, esp as we will be the weaker party in negotiations.

Sam1875 Wed 01-Jan-20 12:10:07

It was not a 2nd referendum - FOOL
It was a general election - the party that was offering to ensure brexit was delivered got the most seats.
REMAIN VOTERS LOST THE REFERENDUM - yet they still delude themselves that 52% is not greater than 48%.

NOW we see remoaners deny the reality that Boris has a majority that will deliver democracy in Parliament -

remoaners are becoming a joke for anyone who wants to study delusional thinking

malylis Wed 01-Jan-20 12:20:35

It wasnt eferendum, if it had been remain would have won.

No one denied Boris has a majority, in all honesty I can't wait for the whole thing to start and the blame game begin.

Its what you voted for.

This thread is not accepting new messages.