Page 40 | Westministenders: Election Special 2

(1000 Posts)
RedToothBrush Thu 12-Dec-19 23:33:58

Exit poll

Con majority of 68.

65 seats regarded technically as still too close to call. But that could mean an even bigger majority.

Blyth Valley has seen a 10% swing to the cons in line with the exit poll. 1st shock of the night

OP’s posts: |
Piggywaspushed Fri 13-Dec-19 09:24:56

Yes, ghost but I meant why is it a right wing country, rather than what is a right wing country? What is it in the national mindset that makes 'us' right wing? Is it an island nation thing?

DustyDiamond Fri 13-Dec-19 09:24:58

Dusty is there any need for that?

What?

Responding to someone in kind?

Every need.

Random18 Fri 13-Dec-19 09:25:04

I am a Scot. I now live in england........

DustyDiamond Fri 13-Dec-19 09:26:12

Also a Scot btw - who voted Tory & Brexit

Scots are not the Borg 🤷🏻‍♀️

GhostofFrankGrimes Fri 13-Dec-19 09:28:08

It's a colonial hang over thing. Ireland (with the exception of the north) has far less polarisation in politics, ironic given the country was embarked in civil war less than 100 years ago. On the contrary britain had all the spoils of empire and has still managed to tear itself to pieces.

TatianaLarina Fri 13-Dec-19 09:28:31

😂😂😂😂😂

KK then poppet

Classic Brexit Arms - political discussion via smilie.

Alsohuman Fri 13-Dec-19 09:28:42

I’m so heart sick this morning I’m just washing my hands of the whole thing. After living through 18 years of Tory government before 1997, I thought I’d had my share but no, here I am again. This is not the way I envisaged my journey into old age beginning. Were I not married to someone who wouldn’t entertain the idea, I’d be making plans to move somewhere warmer in every sense.

DustyDiamond Fri 13-Dec-19 09:28:55

👍

bufo Fri 13-Dec-19 09:29:17

flowers WM contributors from an occasional lurker. The only upside I can see is that the "winners" now have to own their shit - there is nobody left to blame...not that you'd think so from the wounded victim rhetoric STILL on display on the ghastly other thread! Thank you again for all your thoughtful analysis - I for one have appreciated it.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 13-Dec-19 09:31:54

Keir Starmer or Yvette Cooper would be good I think.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 13-Dec-19 09:32:20

blush wrong thread.

lonelyplanetmum Fri 13-Dec-19 09:32:52

Just listened to Johnson's speech. ( Yup I'm tough).

He mentions one nation ness several times. Is this a trick for the public or is it a message to his ERG mates?

RedToothBrush Fri 13-Dec-19 09:33:09

What they missed was the competition felt by those on low incomes and fear of losing income through tax rises.

It's a race to the bottom. Upper class pitching the working class against the middle class.

My single mum friend has a small council house in a comparatively nice area. She's on universal credit and gets some for being a single mum and something for being a carer for her dad who lives nearby. She works just under 15 hours a week. Her house is in a poor state and it takes forever for the council to do anything about complaints. She refuses to let me in her house out of embassment. She is due a new kitchen soon though.

After she gets maintaince for her daughter she has enough to get by unless she has a large unexpected expense (eg tumble dryer on the blink). Her dad helps her out every now and again.

I see what she spends money on and she's not exactly great with money, but she makes it go a long way. And she eats out a lot.

Meanwhile my other friend bought a house in a not great area of a small town with her husband a few years back and has been squeezed and squeezed. They have two daughters. The house is in a poor state of repair and they simply can't afford to do anything about it. The new bathroom they need will never happen. They can't afford to move and are trapped. Her parents haven't the money to help them out.

She is a full time care assistant who works shifts and her husband has a job that's low paid but requires degree level education. It is also shift work. They juggle child care and their shifts between them and her mum who lives a few miles away. They very rarely get time off together as it's simply not possible.

Financially they haven't got any spare cash. They rarely go out or do anything as they can't afford it. He's just been diagnosed with potentially having MS. They've done everything 'right' in terms of how they live their lives and work hard and have a roof over their heads.

I find it really hard to watch. I worry about them all. I do my best to look out for them but there's limits to what I can do in practical terms.

My friend who is a single mum has a better quality of day to day life by virtue of having a council house and getting maintenance. She can spend more time with her daughter and has the relative security of her council house.

I certainly can see why others would resent her.

I can also see that she'd be utterly screwed if she was in private rental accommodation or her ex partner were to suddenly stop paying his child maintenance.

My friend who owes a house, simply doesn't know how she will make ends meet and pay the bills especially if her husband becomes unable to work. If they were forced sell the house they can't afford to rent instead.

I don't begrudge either of them and I love them all. But if I were in different and struggling myself I think I might see the two situations differently. I have the luxury of it not really effecting me.

Each have their own very genuine issues and problems but the way the system works produces an inequality all of its own. Its largely related to the cost of housing.

It's not right. It's the finest of lines between getting by and being in trouble. And the idea of fairness seems to be none existent.

The thing is I don't know how you adjust the system easily. It's to do with private rentals being too expensive and there being a shortage of council owned properties.

Johnson has the support of the landlorded section of the population and the section of the public who are no longer of working age which is a massive barrier to reform and improving the situation. Homeownership rates is high amongst them.

The demographics therefore don't favour the situation improving, there will just be a political shifting of the idea of blame around.

It's depressing.

RedToothBrush Fri 13-Dec-19 09:35:18

Tory party can be hard right but still attract centrist voters.

Because taxation and housing.

BlaueLagune Fri 13-Dec-19 09:35:34

Winchester and Guildford could have been Libdem if people had voted tactically and other people standing hadn't split the vote.

I was saying yesterday evening that I seem to exist in a Libdem remain echo chamber. I did live in the safest Tory seat in the country, but although it's still safe, not the safest and the Libdem share of the vote was 25%. I suspect in town it was more, but the affluent elderly in the villages love Boris and voted for Brexit.

TiddleTaddleTat Fri 13-Dec-19 09:38:24

John Curtice on BBC highlighting that Con + BXP votes =47%
Parties supporting 2nd ref = 52% of vote share

Oh the irony!

TiddleTaddleTat Fri 13-Dec-19 09:41:23

RTB your anecdote is spot on. My own situation is not dissimilar to your homeowning friend.

MarshaBradyo Fri 13-Dec-19 09:41:57

Honestly not so simple re taxation and housing.

Because huge spending and impossible economics.

For this election.

TheElementsSong Fri 13-Dec-19 09:41:59

It's the finest of lines between getting by and being in trouble.

☝️A-fucking-MEN!

I've said upthread that we're going to be fine, in fact probably better off with the proposed tax cuts for high earners. Certainly, being cautious by nature I've thought carefully about big life decisions. But even so, I can look back at many random points in my life where the dice falling another way would have put me on a very different path, however careful I wanted to be. And I've been very poor as a child, in a society without a welfare safety net. I've never forgotten.

I look at others who don't have it so good, who haven't been as lucky, and remind myself, "there but for the grace of God, go I."

Random18 Fri 13-Dec-19 09:42:57

RTB agreed. And the Labour party need to see that.

People who are very similar to me have voted tory. Labour need to realise that.

These people are not selfish. They work hard and want what's best for their family.

They care about the NHS but don't necessarily think it is going to be privatised under the Tory Govt.

I don't think the Tory govt have any plans to necessarily privatise it.

But I do think the decision will need to be made. FtA with US or NHS.

Whatever happens we need to get our shit sorted soon.

The future ain't looking good for our kids.

RedToothBrush Fri 13-Dec-19 09:44:24

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/eu_referendum_2016_/3767616-Westminstenders-Election-Special-3?watched=1
New thread for general reaction

TiddleTaddleTat Fri 13-Dec-19 09:45:19

RTB also I feel that, as the home owning and struggling family in your anecdote, I did feel that Labour would make life better for us.

The80sweregreat Fri 13-Dec-19 09:47:10

I've also lived through the Tories and came out the other side. It's just a case of getting on with it now. I hope Corbyn walks today and gets it over with.

DrBlackbird Fri 13-Dec-19 09:49:42

Almost exactly what happened in the US with Trump taking the Electoral Colleges but Clinton taking the popular vote. It's a system rigged to protect the right minority e.g. gerrymandering in the US.

We can look forward to Cummings coming up with ingenious ways to import that tactic here. Let's face it, BJ really can't be asked to actually think and make decisions. All real decision making is coming from Cummings, Gove and RM. BJ is just the cosy front man.

PeninsulaPanic Fri 13-Dec-19 09:54:19

@BovaryX you can shove your posh Latin up your inter alia, condescending cow

This thread is not accepting new messages.