Talk

Advanced search

hell is ever closer part 3

(632 Posts)
flouncyfanny Sun 29-Sep-19 11:02:32

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/eu_referendum_2016_/3677728-hell-is-ever-closer-part-2?msgid=90432912#90432912

^Thread two for anyone who needs to refer back (quickly) wink

Welcome, one and all, to a shiny new thread number THREE!!

CrunchyCarrot Sun 29-Sep-19 11:05:02

Woohoo thanks flouncy grin

flouncyfanny Sun 29-Sep-19 11:07:03

<waves to Crunchy>
draw up a pew and we'll start counting tins of beans and packs of loo roll wink

Wolfcub Sun 29-Sep-19 11:12:33

Thank you Flouncy

flouncyfanny Sun 29-Sep-19 11:21:55

As we're still assembling <sips cup of brew>
May I suggest a spare Tin Opener?
I had to buy a new one a few weeks back and got a cheepy black plastic one from Tesco, I think it was £1.99. It's fab and better than an expensive one (Cheers DH, for buying a rubbish one for a tenner!).

HunkyDory69 Sun 29-Sep-19 11:39:24

Flouncy I got one as ours mysteriously disappeared...I later found it along with empty tins of condensed milk in one of the teen's rooms 🤬! Agree that cheap new one excellent, but not chucking the ropey old one YET.

bellinisurge Sun 29-Sep-19 12:10:43

Cheers @flouncyfanny

Socksontheradiator Sun 29-Sep-19 12:20:28

Hello everyone!
I must get more cat litter today.
I've also stewed some fruit for the freezer, but discovered you can buy crumble topping in packets, so that will save freezer room (and dishes)

bellinisurge Sun 29-Sep-19 12:37:09

We braved ikea for something - it really was hell - and picked up some bits in the food section that my dd likes. For the stash.

Gingerninja4 Sun 29-Sep-19 12:58:38

Afternoon
Alcohol but large chocolate stash which youngest DS has quality checked several times..Stash now hidden from him.

flouncyfanny Sun 29-Sep-19 13:13:39

Socks re the flu jabs, I've had them at Sains Pharmacy before, they ask a few questions, fill in a form (that I think they send to your GP) then stab you in the arm! Simples grin
TBH there's no difference between the guy at Sains and the Nurse at the local GPs.
Asda, Tesco, Rowlands and Numark also do them - shop around and see when you can get booked in!

flouncyfanny Sun 29-Sep-19 13:16:40

Socks Re the Crumble mix. I used to buy this, before I started doing my own (was just lazy tbh) it's just about ok, but very powdery, so when you "dish up" it doesn't really hold together.

Socksontheradiator Sun 29-Sep-19 13:16:41

Thanks Flouncy!

NoWordForFluffy Sun 29-Sep-19 13:23:29

Afternoon!

I'll check out all of those flu jab options, flouncy. Good call! I think there's bonus Nectar points when you use the chemist in Sainsbury's, so will definitely check that out.

onalongsabbatical Sun 29-Sep-19 13:29:24

So these 'hell' threads are about prepping? I've been avoiding them - the word hell put me off. I'm a prepper. Extremely disorganised one but still, big steel cupboard in the garage slooowly taken over for jars and packets etc, plus a large plastic box. So hello y'all! I see bellini is here! smile

flouncyfanny Sun 29-Sep-19 13:31:43

for any newbies
If you've stumbled on the thread - DON'T PANIC.
Start by following bellinis excellent general prepper advice - "imagine you are snowed in for 3 or 4 days - what will you need?"
Then gradually progress to "you're on a self-catering holiday, and need everything for a fortnight - start with a blank slate and add things you would usually use/need".
If you need a bit of advice, just ask any of the regulars. We are not a nest of vipers (honestgrin) and will help if we can.

Gingerninja4 Sun 29-Sep-19 13:36:01

Ask to anyone new remember when seems someone has loads family circumstance so different and location as well.For example here I have several supermarkets and near major roads and London so higher chance of finding what I want still if we crash out
Where mor3 rural less choice

Though county council has added on we may be affected by the travel/lorries

onalongsabbatical Sun 29-Sep-19 13:42:34

Good point, Gingerninja4, we're rural. Small village, nearest supermarket a drive away, no choice without more driving. A farm shop in the village but it's very expensive, we hardly use it. And a co-op on the road that goes through the village for passing traffic, small, not enough of the staples. A garage with the usual few bits. That's it within walking distance.

yolofish Sun 29-Sep-19 13:46:42

We're in Kent, as I think others on here are - I'm envisaging Armageddon tbh and am ensuring we have enough alcohol in particular (and all the other stuff of course!)

Socksontheradiator Sun 29-Sep-19 14:13:02

Apparently Sainsburys own cornflakes are not up to much by tesco ones are nearly as good as kelloggs. According to Mr Socks.
I've been keeping up with Westminstenders threads and my take away is that it's still anyone's guess if we no deal or not :/
My concern is that with disrupted supplies it doesn't matter how many supermarkets are in the area. If stuff being held up we'll see empty shelves in all of them. I don't want to waste petrol which potentially could be in short supply, rushing about to get food.
I have am pretty well stocked up, but I'm still throwing the odd extra in when I go shopping.
Still betting on a last minute agreement to the WA being passed.
Just think that given even a possibility of yellowhammer being base scenario, it's very irresponsible not to have food.

Socksontheradiator Sun 29-Sep-19 14:18:32

I can't even begin to imagine how awful it would be, to be expecting everything to be fine, only having a few days' worth in, and then finding it is as bad as the experts scaremongerers have predicted.
Can't do much if anything about medication, but food and toiletries we can prepare for.
We keep hearing about getting ready for brexit. I bet if there are shortages they will blame people for not reading between the lines hmm

BlackeyedGruesome Sun 29-Sep-19 14:32:56

Thank you for the new thread.

Get well soon Bercow.

bellinisurge Sun 29-Sep-19 14:54:32

Thank you for the name check @flouncyfanny .
@onalongsabbatical , the thread title is kind of gallows humour.

Gingerninja4 Sun 29-Sep-19 14:56:11

@socksonradiator

Am fortunate all are in walking distance but a free I don't want to be fighting in shops for things
Nah government will blame all of us that got extra stuff in for it

Yolofish not In Kent but near enough to be affected by it especially as 2 major motorways within few miles of house and town always snarls up when one or both shut

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sun 29-Sep-19 15:01:15

The getting ready for brexit radio ads are starting to annoy me. We have the radio on all day at work and the ad says nothing so I suspect absolutely nobody is doing anything about it.

Need to get more toilet roll and top up everything else as spent last week until payday living off the stash.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »