Talk

Advanced search

'Access cards' aka Rationing cards. Do it now?

(25 Posts)
RevealingIfYouMightBeStalked Wed 21-Aug-19 22:47:53

Since we have to prepare for a No Deal Brexit, would it not be unreasonable to start issuing some sort of 'Access Card' now?

Obviously first dibs must go to Remainers, who did not vote for the coming shit-storm.

Brexiters and 'can't be arsed' get second dibs.

How do we differentiate?

We ask.

And if the breakdown is anything other than 52/48, we call the whole thing off.

Because obviously those Leavers have lost their conviction about the wonders of Brexit when reality slaps them.

Nautiloid Wed 21-Aug-19 22:51:45

Love this.

FaFoutis Wed 21-Aug-19 22:59:30

Maybe tabards could be issued.

bellinisurge Wed 21-Aug-19 23:01:42

They stop playing silly buggers and agree a border in the sea.

RevealingIfYouMightBeStalked Wed 21-Aug-19 23:59:34

If it weren't for the Nazi connotations, I'd go forehead tattoos.

So obviously I wouldn't.

Much tho, if it weren't for the dark history that the EU has moved us away from, via mutual trade deals, thus mutual advantage- I sort of like.

Own what you did.

But ....*How few* will admit to their choice when the consequences of it bite (tho we know that the EU will always be to blame, not them personally, Oh No)

bellinisurge Thu 22-Aug-19 07:12:49

While I understand the sentiment, I'm pretty confident most Leave voters will have made their views known and possibly still do on Facebook. I'm not in favour of singling people out and I'm sure you aren't either, op.
The bitter pill of reality will be enough for everyone.
Or it'll all be great and I will have egg on my face. Which I can happily live with.

FishCanFly Thu 22-Aug-19 08:58:33

imagine it will reduce obesity. about time to put this fatty nation on a diet grin

bellinisurge Thu 22-Aug-19 09:00:22

Can we just be clear that food shortages do not fix obesity.

FishCanFly Thu 22-Aug-19 13:46:54

Can we just be clear that food shortages do not fix obesity
tell that to brexit fans

bellinisurge Thu 22-Aug-19 13:54:52

No arguing with fuckwittery ideas of a poor unvaried diet = solution to obesity.

Mamamia456 Thu 22-Aug-19 16:01:37

Revealing - Did the school not give you a project to do during the summer holidays?

bellinisurge Thu 22-Aug-19 16:04:00

On this one, I agree with you @Mamamia456 .
Some things ain't funny.

FaFoutis Thu 22-Aug-19 16:28:04

@Mamamia456
Change the record.

leghairdontcare Thu 22-Aug-19 16:34:52

They stop playing silly buggers and agree a border in the sea.

Who's they in this scenario? The DUP? The government? Actual real people who live in Northern Ireland and don't want to be cast aside because it's inconvenient to English people?

Mamamia456 Thu 22-Aug-19 16:36:27

Fafoutis - Looking at some of the childish posts on these Brexit threads lately, yours included, it feels like mumsnet has been taken over by a bunch of bored school kids.

FaFoutis Thu 22-Aug-19 16:40:43

Perhaps think of a more interesting insult. There's not much thought gone into that.

Mamamia456 Thu 22-Aug-19 16:46:40

Fafoutis - You've just proved my point, but you probably don't even realise.

FaFoutis Thu 22-Aug-19 16:51:19

No, because I should be doing my homework, etc etc etc.

RevealingIfYouMightBeStalked Sun 25-Aug-19 10:43:11

Actually, I'm serious.

Why shouldn't Remainers get first dibs?

I mean Leavers shouldn't worry at all because there won't be any shortages, apparently, because that notion must be shut down by shrieking 'Project Fear! Project Fear!'

I don't think I am 'singling anyone out', given that Leavers are, allegedly, in the majority.

MockersthefeMANist Sun 25-Aug-19 11:48:32

A small glimpse of what Tory Rationing looks like comes from the Oil Crisis of 1973-4, when the Heath Govt introduced petrol rationing not per person but per car, so own two cars and get twice the petrol.

ThereWillBeAdequateFood Sun 25-Aug-19 11:56:40

I mean Leavers shouldn't worry at all because there won't be any shortages, apparently, because that notion must be shut down by shrieking 'Project Fear! Project Fear

Come on now. Any issues caused by Brexit will be entirely the fault of remainers - for not fixing it / believing / whatever

Mistigri Sun 25-Aug-19 13:46:47

You could hold an interesting referendum by making people choose between two sets of consequences.

All adults would be entitled to choose between two cards: either a "no deal will be fine, bring it on, there'll be plenty of food and medicine" card, which doesn't entitle you to anything if no-deal is a giant fuck-up, or a "no deal no thanks, give me priority if there are food and meds shortages" card.

Obviously card 2 counts as a vote against no deal.

It would make people put their money where their mouth is and if no-deal won, any rationing could be done fairly, by forcing people to take personal responsibility for their choices halo

Songsofexperience Mon 26-Aug-19 07:34:16

Love your idea mistigri.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 27-Aug-19 14:20:20

Sadly two of the only people who still admit to being in favour of Brexit in my social circle are a quite mentally ill woman and an extremely unwell, elderly woman. Even I'm not that big an arsehole about Brexit.

In my parents' social circle bring it on. The same couple vocally in favour are also vocally in favour of much more unsavoury things.

Miljah Fri 30-Aug-19 09:20:25

Of all the Leavers I know, only one still wants to Leave. All the others mutter, a bit shamefacedly 'Well, no one mentioned No Deal'.....

I can't stop myself replying 'Which is why I voted Remain'. And ' Well, I hope you've written to your MP expressing your change of heart'....

Bring on those cards.

Let's see who'll admit to having voted Leave when 'the bumpiness' hits home.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »