Talk

Advanced search

The Car Industry on Brexit

(7 Posts)
Cobblersandhogwash Tue 13-Aug-19 07:42:06

I suppose there will be some goons out there who will say those working in the car industry really know nothing about how no deal Brexit will affect it.

Mistigri Tue 13-Aug-19 07:45:57

This prediction is almost certain to be correct. OP's post contains a link to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders briefing on Brexit. Anyone who wants a post-Brexit large scale vehicle manufacturing industry in the U.K. should go and read it.

bellinisurge Tue 13-Aug-19 07:51:46

I'm sure some of our regulars 😂 will be along to cut and paste how some dark corner of the internet from 5 years ago knows better. Or maybe even Trump has said it's no problem. That's a classic.

MysteryTripAgain Tue 13-Aug-19 09:15:21

I would say Honda and Nissan in the UK will disappear as Japan has free trade deal with EU. So no benefit anymore for Japan to make cars in UK or anywhere else in Europe.

Peregrina Tue 13-Aug-19 11:22:56

Our regulars have been on other threads to say that BMW has guaranteed to build electric cars in Oxford.

Well, since I live near there and know people who work at the car plant, I also know that a lot of them say, "well the management say that now, but they can change their minds."

Yes, there is overcapacity in Europe, so why be the ones to volunteer to take the hit?

berlinbabylon Tue 13-Aug-19 14:05:18

I am also wondering if it going to be particularly easy to get parts. My car was serviced last week and we have an advisory on brake disks and pads. They could easily last another year on our mileage, but then I wonder if the parts will be available when it comes to do it so perhaps we should get it done now.

BubblesBuddy Tue 13-Aug-19 17:48:57

If the parts are imported, they will cost more of the exchange rate continues to plummet.

No car manufacturers are spooking their employees but what is the point of staying here. Most need to contract and doing so here makes more sense. BMW Mini might be kind! They might stay in Oxford. After all the mini is iconically British. Jaguar Landrover has had a massive fall in sales in China and they already make an electric car. It’s lovely - had a test day driving one. It’s around £70,000. We have a mini hybrid and that’s £32,000. So hardly cheap cars that will keep car makers going with thousands of jobs and definitely not new jobs!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »