Talk

Advanced search

Craziest reasons for wanting brexit

(109 Posts)
SistemaAddict Fri 09-Aug-19 09:48:09

I've just been reading some of the comments attached to a bbc news article on brexit and found this gem:

"Remember the good old days when the postman would deliver your post in the morning and not the early afternoon?*
#Brexit #Iwanttogoback"

I remember those days well. In 1991 I had a long distance "boyfriend" and if I was really lucky I'd get his letter in the morning post before I got the bus to school at 7.20am. If it wasn't in the first post then it would come in the second post around 10.30am.
My post has just arrived this morning but my mum lives a mile up the road and hers tends to arrive in the afternoon.

Some people will blame the EU for anything!

What's the craziest reason for brexit you've heard or read?

OP’s posts: |
Dinosauratemydaffodils Wed 28-Aug-19 22:51:54

My MiL voted leave because my FiL told her to... She's from NI and her father was killed in the troubles, the ripples of which are still having an effect on their family today. She now wishes she hadn't.

noodlenosefraggle Wed 28-Aug-19 21:39:27

There was someone on radio 2 the other day who said we would be fine exporting to other countries because his grandfather, who was born in the 1800's told him they used to do it all the time. So over 100 years ago, Canadians were happy to eat stale pork pies shipped over from Leicester, so we can do it again. No other countries have food standards, just the EU.

BeanBag7 Wed 28-Aug-19 21:24:22

Wanted to be able to buy pork chops with kidney attached

areyoubeingserviced Sat 24-Aug-19 19:33:27

My aunt wants Brexit, because a Polish woman pushed in front of the queue in Tescos

Laylajaney Sat 24-Aug-19 19:30:16

as apposed to her brain

Laylajaney Sat 24-Aug-19 19:28:55

MY FRIEND HOW DOESNT NORMALLY VOTE FOR ANYTHING SAID SHE VOTED WITH HER GUT.

AmeliaE Sat 24-Aug-19 17:01:50

I work for one of the biggest European companies which has a business model based on an European market free of barriers.
A colleague voted leave so he could "get an early retirement". Another two voted leave because "people in Brussels not voted by English people are deciding stuff for us". They had no idea that they could vote in the European elections.
Another told me that his family was upset because the EU regulations meant that people had to change some bits of their electrical installations (to avoid shortcircuits and getting fried on the spot I guess). They were pretty pissed off because they were sure "people in Malta were not doing it".

To be honest, you can find people like that anywhere in Europe.

Laniakea Fri 23-Aug-19 15:12:58

Seems my MIL isn’t the only one “why I voted leave, this sort of thing is a perfect example of why. Being goaded by a pompous little French person and told what to do.”

Weep.

prettybird Thu 22-Aug-19 22:00:24

"Because even though I believe in the EU, I'm not going to give that bitch Sturgeon the satisfaction of voting the same way as her, so as I expect Remain to win, I'll vote Leave just to prove that not everyone in Scotland agrees with her" hmmconfused

Alpacathebag Thu 22-Aug-19 17:12:38

One woman I know said she voted leave because she thought our politicians “deserve a chance for a change”. What exactly she thought they were doing before, or what chances they don’t have, I have no idea.

Another one believed the big bus about money for the NHS. Got very offended when I pointed out there is nothing actually stopping the government spending that money now, they just don’t want to.

ImNotYourGranny Thu 22-Aug-19 17:05:26

My mum voted for brexit because Angela Merkel, David Cameron and George Osbourne are all lizard people in human form.

And because a report came out saying how some areas of London are no longer majority white people. She's never even been to London.

lovelygreenjumper Thu 22-Aug-19 17:02:37

Because no-one has jobs anymore. They did before we joined the EU.

I have a relative in an ex-mining town who also sites this as a reason for voting leave. Apparently back in the 60s everyone could get a good job without needing qualifications and young families could all afford to buy a house with a garden. The we went in to the EU and got unemployment and silly house prices. I have tried to explain that a) lots of people lived in inadequate housing in the 60s and b) correlation and causation are not the same.
This is all said in the same breath as complaining that building new affordable housing near her might make her house (which she has no intention of moving our of before she dies) lose value.

Laniakea Thu 22-Aug-19 16:44:29

My MIL voted leave because de Gaulle was ungrateful and rude to us (Brits) confused

Frequency Thu 22-Aug-19 13:08:27

Because no-one has jobs anymore. They did before we joined the EU.

I live in an ex-mining town. This person genuinely believes the EU closed down ship building, coal mining, the steel works and various other factories that were off-shored to China. He honest to God believes all these things will come back after Brexit.

He's chronically disabled and unable to work due to a lung disease that may or may not be down to asbestos he was exposed to while working in the aforementioned factories. He's a life-long smoker so it's not clear whether it was the fags or the asbestos that caused the most damage either way he is not going to he working down the mines he so desperately wants back and I doubt he would be happy for any of his children or grandchildren (who are all employed) to do so either.

ThatCurlyGirl Thu 22-Aug-19 12:58:48

"Just fancied a change"

If you fancy a change get a haircut.

Brefugee Thu 22-Aug-19 12:56:22

Several people i have known for a long time told me they were voting Leave "to protest the establishment, but it's ok we won't win".

3 years later all except one (who is genuinely repentant at what it meant for me personally and the UK generally) are all "yeah, taking our country back" as though that was what they wanted all along. Frankly with some of them i believe that was always their true motivation (whatever it means) the others are having selective amnesia (especially when I remind them what they said, knowing how it would disrupt my family).

"immigrants" is my favourite though. They are going to be in for a bit of a shock.

bellinisurge Fri 16-Aug-19 08:09:16

Does @Gobbolinocat realise that leaving the EU means we won't be part of tbe EU anymore. 😂 let's be kind and assume they mean part of Europe, as in the continent. Pretty sure EU rights come with membership of the EU and not geographical location.

Hoppinggreen Thu 15-Aug-19 20:59:51

We won’t be part of The Eu, we may need Visas for a European holiday and it may be more difficult for dc to go to University in Europe so none of those are “silly” reasons for voting remain

LatteLove Thu 15-Aug-19 20:08:54

Another said her dc may want to go to uni in the eu

Yes, because that’s just as crazy as wanting bendy bananas and less Muslims confused

AuldAlliance Thu 15-Aug-19 18:21:38

They thought we wouldn't be part of the eu!

Erm, they were right.

Helmetbymidnight Thu 15-Aug-19 18:05:01

not exactly the same no.

for whatever their reason, leave voters voted to screw the economy, the GFA, the lives of millions of people, to take away rights, freedoms and science and environmental collaborations alongside gross racists. remainers did not.

can you not get the difference?

MaxNormal Thu 15-Aug-19 17:50:26

But we won't be part of the EU.
Tbh most of those reasons don't sound that mad compared to the Leaver ones.

Gobbolinocat Thu 15-Aug-19 17:39:38

Can posters saying leave voters did so for a range of reasons, some silly also agree remain voters did exactlythe same.

For instance I have heard remain voter saying she did vote r purely so she can still visit and go on the holiday in the eu confused

One said she and her family have directly benefitted from the eu in particular freedom of movement, since her poor immigrant parents settled here in 1962grinhmm

Another said her dc may want to go to uni in the eu, another thought the eu soley gave us billions and didn't realise its our own money being fed back.

Lots more but the best one was cheap holidays! They thought we wouldn't be part of the eu!

JockTamsonsBairns Thu 15-Aug-19 16:24:18

....as reported on the BBC

gringrin That's a sure sign it's fake news then!

GummyGoddess Thu 15-Aug-19 15:22:31

Because I don't like waiting times at the GP.

Because we'll be thinner and walk to work again.

Because the food will be better quality.

Because everyone will pull together and be friends with their neighbours again.

Because there will be more independent shops.

No logic to any of those!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in