Talk

Advanced search

Sinn Fein

(41 Posts)
darksideofbuttonmoon Fri 09-Aug-19 07:59:08

Can anyone give me any insight into the chances of Sinn Fein MPs taking up their seats at Westminster in an attempt to stop Brexit? I've come across articles as recent as April where they reject the idea. But is this still the case? Even with the real prospect of a hard border between NI and ROI?

OP’s posts: |
Lazydaisies Fri 09-Aug-19 20:06:54

www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/opinion/mary-lou-mcdonald-fintan-o-toole-wrong-to-say-sf-can-block-hard-brexit-1.3978740%3fmode=amp

This is the article

whyamidoingthis Fri 09-Aug-19 20:19:06

@Lazydaisies - Interesting that Sinn Féin were the first to propose Sinn Féin a “designated special status” for the North in November 2016.

Daddybegood Fri 09-Aug-19 21:11:21

Thank you LazyDaisies. To sum it up the British government and Beleavers are trying to blame the EU, 'remoaners', the Irish government, Sinn Fein....and some leavers on another thread are 'celebrating' leaving on Halloween by dancing on the graves of those made redundant through tarriffs or those who die from medicine shortages....history will be very unkind to them

bellinisurge Fri 09-Aug-19 21:17:50

Sounds like Sinn Fein and I agree on something @whyamidoingthis

Focalpoint Fri 09-Aug-19 21:55:30

Excuse my ignorance but what actual difference would SF taking up their seats make in Brexit?

Isn't the issue not that there isn't an organized or effective opposition to brexit in the UK parliament?

bellinisurge Fri 09-Aug-19 22:00:17

Ruling out the possibility they would, it would mean that Boris Johnson would no longer be able to command a majority in the House. He can currently do so courtesy of the confidence and supply arrangement he has with the DUP. They supply votes for the minority Tory government and support the minority Tory government in any no confidence votes. He has a majority in the House by 1 vote.

whyamidoingthis Fri 09-Aug-19 22:10:47

@bellinisurge - Sounds like Sinn Fein and I agree on something

Yes. You're a fantastic advocate for that option. It's the only sensible approach given the UK red lines.

implantsandaDyson Fri 09-Aug-19 22:58:47

SF, like Corbyn want chaos from which they will emerge triumphant. They have no interest in doing anything that is positive for their "constituents " that might also be good for the UK.

Sinn Fein are probably the best hope for women in NI eventually receiving any kind of reproductive rights and agency over their right to choose whether or not to continue with a pregnancy, the SDLP on the other hand give the DUP a run for their money on what they think of women. I'm still surprised at posters who think that the SDLP gaining seats in NI is a positive thing for people who actual live in NI.

whyamidoingthis Fri 09-Aug-19 23:03:24

@bellinisurge - He has a majority in the House by 1 vote.

It's a very theoretical majority, given they haven't been able to command a majority on any brexit related votes.

PaddyF0dder Fri 09-Aug-19 23:10:30

There is zero possibility of Sinn Fein taking up their seats. Zero.

It is anathema to then to swear fealty to the queen. Their voters know this.

It will never happen.

LatteLove Fri 09-Aug-19 23:14:33

I am not from NI, but I also can’t see why it’s supposedly down to SF to sort out this shitshow they didn’t cause in the first place

Focalpoint Fri 09-Aug-19 23:28:17

@bellinisurge - if there was a majority against no deal before the summer then there still should be now irrespective of SF's seats.

I'm Irish/N Irish not an SF supporter but completely understand their position that they never have/never would take seats in the British parliament and have been elected on that basis.

And more fundamentally - solving the Brexit conundrum (if it ever indeed can be solved) I my view can only be done by the British and not the Irish.

Inniu Sat 10-Aug-19 01:11:50

Never going to happen. Apart from all the other reasons I believe SF are following the old nationalist belief
“England’s difficulty is Ireland’s opportunity”

GhostofFrankGrimes Sat 10-Aug-19 06:19:15

Sinn Fein aren’t going to save the English from their own self inflicted mess. I’ve heard some ignorant comments from remainers wrt abstentions. It’s akin to leavers ignorance over the border.

bellinisurge Sat 10-Aug-19 07:27:16

I entirely agree that it is fantasy to expect SF to take their seats in Westminster. Not their circus etc etc.

onalongsabbatical Sat 10-Aug-19 09:39:50

@Etino thanks for the film recommendation, I seem to have completely missed that one and it looks very good, I'm going to get hold of it. smile
Re Sinn Fein seriously I'm sure they're just as gobsmacked as everyone else at watching the Tories and UK politics implode and they'll be playing the long game, this can only be good for them and lead to Irish re-unification surely.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in