Talk

Advanced search

Will Brexit stash be safe?

(33 Posts)
BizzzzyBee Tue 06-Aug-19 10:57:26

DH is talking about starting a Brexit stash. But in the event that the shops are so empty that we resort to eating tinned potatoes and beans, do we really think the people with no stash will just go “Oh well, guess me and my kids will starve”. Surely they’ll just come round with baseball bats and take your stash? And you won’t be able to go out because you’ll have to stay at home to protect your family and your stash!

ElPontifico Tue 06-Aug-19 15:59:27

More seriously: I wouldn't expect a no-deal Brexit to be a zombie apocalypse.

Most likely imo there will be shortages, people will run out of looroll, spend lots of time queuing, not be able to find the food they like and make do with stuff they don't like for a while. Worse for vulnerable people and those affected by medication shortages. But not enough to make anyone invade other people's houses on the offchance of finding a stash of Cushelle.

Mamamia456 Tue 06-Aug-19 16:03:50

Surely this post can"t he serious? But if it is, OP relax, no one will be coming to steal your food.

placemats Tue 06-Aug-19 16:13:58

It might not be safe from vermin and this includes flour mites. Flour mites are pernicious and once they are there, it's a case of throw the lot out and clean for several days.

I have a store cupboard but it is just that. And it's used regularly.

bellinisurge Tue 06-Aug-19 17:32:31

Don't tell anyone you have anything.

bellinisurge Tue 06-Aug-19 17:34:23

What @Screamanger said at 11.33 grin

brexitstashftw Tue 06-Aug-19 19:16:06

Ynbu op the docudrama blackout shows how quickly shit can escalate (yes I’m aware it’s a fictional scenario) but if you have a stash what’s the harm at worst you’ll be eating tinned this and that for a while. And if the shit does hit the fan I won’t be offering any of my food to anyone.

CrunchyCarrot Tue 06-Aug-19 20:13:47

If it's the actual apocalypse then yes, armed gangs will be after any food they can scavenge, so we'll all be in the same boat at that point.

However, for Brexit which I sincerely hope is not going to be the apocalypse, just don't advertise your stash!

I am rather worried though that if Johnson keeps up this No Deal hardline then some people may well begin to get anxious as we approach the deadline, and that could result in panic buying. So having a stash will mean you don't need to go out during that time.

Dapplegrey Wed 07-Aug-19 13:31:58

Op is there any way you can make a false wall to hide your stash behind?
During the German occupation of France during World War 2 French citizens had various ways of hiding their food (or what there was of it) and possessions. One family even put a tap in the wall with a pipe into a bucket so it appeared to be a working tap.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »