Talk

Advanced search

EU nationals living in the UK

(18 Posts)
JustMe9 Sun 04-Aug-19 12:05:26

Hi, how are you fellow EU nationals living in the UK preparing for BREXIT? Any of you planning to go back to Europe as it looks like UK will likely go into deep recession after BREXIT and there wont be too much point in staying here anymore? I have a lot of friends who are now buying houses in Europe just in case if everything turns the wrong way here and they could easily go back smile I have been reading about all this stockpiling nonsense and it makes me feel sad for local people that have no optiom but to stay here regardless of what hapens... Has everyone dones their "settlement status" applications? Has anyone decided to get British citizenship and passport and stay here for ever? Opinions please xx

TorchesTorches Sun 04-Aug-19 16:46:06

I am the other way round, a brit busy getting EU status before B-day. I should have my citizenship by the end of this month. Its taken 3 years and a lot of time, effort and money. Once i have my citizenship i am staying put! Don't envisage moving back to the uk for at least 10 years, till the kids have finished school here. And probably not even then.

JustMe9 Sun 04-Aug-19 17:15:31

I totally agree that the next 10 or more years will just be a downhill road for the UK... Ive been here over 10 years but Im glad I didnt end up getting British citizenship, just in case we would need to leave... Currently it seems that every other EU country is doing much better. Any more thoughts?

DoubleHelix79 Sun 04-Aug-19 17:17:50

I got British citizenship last month. It's nice to feel safe from potential deportation, but having Boris as PM puts a dampener on things.

DoubleHelix79 Sun 04-Aug-19 17:25:17

On a more serious note: I've been here for 12 years now (born in Germany) and am married to a British citizen, with a young daughter (born in the UK). I don't see myself leaving anytime soon, but dual passports for myself and our daughter felt like a useful thing to have. Unfortunately DH can't apply for German citizenship because he's never lived in the country.

I never thought it would come to this - I remember border checkpoints coming down and assuming that the world would continue to become more open.

Songsofexperience Mon 05-Aug-19 17:41:16

23 years in the UK. British EU dual national here.
I've built everything in the UK and have nothing to my name in my country of origin.
I will stay because it's my home and leaving feels even more daunting than staying put (for now at least- I wouldn't stay if it collapsed totally and say a civil war ensued, God forbid). Let's see what happens. I don't believe in making rushed decisions. It'll be shit but either a) it's not as shit as expected and the country will pull through or b) it is as shit as feared and this government is already dead on its feet.
A deal must be done with the EU eventually- only question is will Boris be the one to do it or not.

GoneWishing Tue 06-Aug-19 11:10:44

and there wont be too much point in staying here anymore?

Well, kind of depends on what constitutes a "point".

I've been in the UK my whole adult life, and I don't really have any "back" to go to. No old family home or old friends to return to. Whereas in the UK I have my own house, my British DH, friends, and I even feel very attached to this piece of (stupid leave-voting) piece of land that we call our town.

Also, I'm not upto moving countries. I did it twice when I was young, while it was still possible to just pack a bag and go and not have to worry about how things turn out in the other end. It's not the same when you're an adult with family, a mortgage, job, friends and major health issues. The very idea of having to leave my home is just heart breaking.

I have the Settled Status, and I'll be applying for citizenship as soon as I can (really kicking myself I never got this sorted before). I'll be staying here and suffering the shite of depression and whatever else is on its way.

Obviously never say never. If we lose our jobs and can't find new ones in the UK and things turn from bad to worse to horrible, we can always re-assess.

behindlocknumbernine Tue 06-Aug-19 11:17:06

There is no point in staying? That is only if you assume EU nationals are here for the money, benefits, riches, fame and fortune?

I have been here 28 years. Longer than half of my life. Before that I lived in two different EU countries (Netherlands and Germany).
I am Dutch. But I have not lived there since I was 13.
There is no 'back' to go back to.

My life is here. I have a British DH, two British born children (who we are in the process of getting Dutch passports for, dh unfortunately does not qualify)

So, it looks like I am here. Sticking out the recession as best as I can, alongside my British friends and neighbours.

timeforakinderworld Tue 06-Aug-19 11:20:20

Hello! I am in the opposite situation too as a Brit in an EU country. I have applied for citizenship but won't get it through in time for Brexit. Have abandoned tentative future plans to move to the UK for retirement with dh.

BeardedMum Wed 07-Aug-19 04:07:54

EEA citizen here. Currently watching the situation but have my bags more or less packed. My children are currently doing A Levels so not a great time to uproot them but the way this country is heading makes me think I need to get out sharp. DH is British and I don’t know if he could come with me but we both agree that we need to do what’s best for the children even if it means living in different countries.

Camomila Wed 07-Aug-19 13:38:52

Reasonably prepared. Went on a family outing (me, DBro, DM, DF) on Monday to the Italian Consulate to get biometric passports to make things easier for settled status applications.

DC2 due in Jan. Once they’re born I’ll get all the official translations of birth certificates etc and get both DC Italian passports (as well as an English one for DC2)

Other than that I’m going to make more effort on making the DC bilingual if they’d want to work/study abroad.

JustMe9 Wed 07-Aug-19 13:43:20

I suppose its different for people who have British spouses. That makes their children british. But Im talking about the ones who came here just mainly for better financial prospects and are Europeans (never married to British). I suppose in these scenarios, the UK will become worse country to stay in than their home country.

piscis Wed 07-Aug-19 13:50:43

There is no point in staying? That is only if you assume EU nationals are here for the money, benefits, riches, fame and fortune?

Exactly. For me, there is a point in staying because UK is what I call home now. I've got a house, my DD is British (my partner is not British. Just to clarify you don't need to be married to a Brit to have a British son/daughter).

We both work in the public sector, so I hope ours jobs are not going to be affected.

MeganBacon Wed 07-Aug-19 14:19:49

My dh is an EU national, not me, we live in UK. We plan to stay. My dh is retired and by the time DS2 is through uni in five years, I will probably want to retire too. Then we'll see. But we travelled for work around EU (four countries) and also US and choose to live in UK for the education standard (which I know is variable but we did a lot of research, visited a lot of schools and are fortunate with this here) as well as generally liking it the best (except maybe for USA). At the moment DS1 is at uni in an EU country and it's been hard for him that we are not closer. If we went to Europe it would be to a different EU country than the one he studies in, so both kids would have parents in a different country. My DS is very strongly anti EU Commission in spite of holding an EU passport so he's not keen to go back although we miss his family.

MeganBacon Wed 07-Aug-19 14:20:59

DH in last sentence, not DS

Songsofexperience Wed 07-Aug-19 15:40:45

But Im talking about the ones who came here just mainly for better financial prospects and are Europeans (never married to British)

I'm not married to a Brit. My children however were born here after I'd already settled and that made them British born.
I find the assumption that one is more legitimately British if married to a Brit quite annoying. I came here in my mid teens. My journey to citizenship is very much my own. I am proud to have made this life here for myself. This was an active choice.

piscis Wed 07-Aug-19 16:22:03

*I'm not married to a Brit. My children however were born here after I'd already settled and that made them British born.
I find the assumption that one is more legitimately British if married to a Brit quite annoying*

Me too

GrouchyKiwi Wed 07-Aug-19 16:31:36

I have Settled Status. We're currently talking about whether there's any point getting British citizenship. I've been here for nearly 13 years on my EU passport, British DH and I have been married for 11, and we've got three children. This is our home.

However. We have also been talking about moving to NZ if things go really bad, and I guess we'll always have that as a fallback if we need it. I'd get British citizenship before we left if we decided to do that so it's easier to come back if we want to later on.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »