Talk

Advanced search

2.1 billion for no deal preparations.

(41 Posts)
Theworldisfullofgs Thu 01-Aug-19 08:52:00

Money for this but no money for schools.

https://twitter.com/hmtreasury/status/1156678748915294208?s=19

Theworldisfullofgs Thu 01-Aug-19 08:52:23

twitter.com/hmtreasury/status/1156678748915294208?s=19

TheSultanofPingu Thu 01-Aug-19 08:58:15

The magic money tree has been found, it seems.
£2.1 billion to help prepare for a no deal. A no deal which has a high chance of leading us into recession.

Theworldisfullofgs Thu 01-Aug-19 09:04:00

I'm a school governor. I'm furious.
We've got less money per child now and a massive hole in our budget.

Yet money can be found for something we dont actually have to do.

bellinisurge Thu 01-Aug-19 09:36:43

It's a fucking joke. If anyone dares suggest doing any kind of prepping at home, they are shouted down as doomsters and gloomsters. Whatever the fuck those words mean.

Theworldisfullofgs Thu 01-Aug-19 10:05:56

I know. But its ok for the government to prep., even though there is nowhere to store any animals that might need to be slaughtered.

Songsofexperience Thu 01-Aug-19 10:09:23

They're pirates and plunderers, raiding the treasury for an enterprise of mass economic destruction.
Boosting public services my arse...

Theworldisfullofgs Thu 01-Aug-19 10:12:26

I'm so fucking angry.

frozendaisy Thu 01-Aug-19 10:16:08

So talking to the Mr last night about this, well sort of it started as a cheery topic of "civil war won't break out here we are not the French!" as I was saying, (say what you like about the French if something rattles their cages they are organised enough to kick off wish we had some of that spirit here) and it got onto the topic of this brexit fund, as this money is for law and order really as the Mr is convinced that if the scales tip too far civil war will break out here.

So this money is basically to pay for things that we don't currently need like customs, border control and more policing in case riots break out. This is what it is coming down to.

He did sum up a series of possible theoretical events which could lead to this eventually.

"So what do we do if civil war does break out then?"
"Leave the country"

The French just would not allow this to happen they would kick off and destroy Paris to demand that Article 50 be revoked, whereas the British will complain a bit and hope for the best whilst the Government takes us down a path of no return, well no easy return.

Songsofexperience Thu 01-Aug-19 10:18:42

Well, I agree that if this was happening in France, Downing Street would already be a pile of ashes...
But that's not the way to go here. How about we start with a competent leader of the opposition eh? Someone who ACTUALLY does something to oppose no deal?

WrongKindOfFace Thu 01-Aug-19 10:24:57

It was only going to be a billion, but Chris Grayling sent the rest to an African prince who is definitely going to pay us back double.

Seriously though, it’s all a fucking mess. Let’s spend billions to make ourselves poorer and regain the sovereignty we never fucking lost.

ErrolTheDragon Thu 01-Aug-19 10:27:20

* Seriously though, it’s all a fucking mess. Let’s spend billions to make ourselves poorer and regain the sovereignty we never fucking lost.*

That's it, in a nutshell.sadangry

Cloudtree Thu 01-Aug-19 10:31:34

I understand what you are all saying about how we didn;t need to end up here but given that we have ended up here but I am just pleased that something is being spent on it to try to ease the pain that is inevitably coming our way. Clearly it isn't nearly enough, but if no deal is happening (which seems likely) then I'd rather we prepare as much as possible both on an individual level and on a national level.

Theworldisfullofgs Thu 01-Aug-19 10:41:21

But it doesn't need to happen

Cloudtree Thu 01-Aug-19 11:31:30

No, but it is happening

bellinisurge Thu 01-Aug-19 11:39:07

I'm a general prepper @Cloudtree , I can't fucking wait to see the government campaign which tells people to do the things I have been suggesting for over a year now on here.
Steady, budget friendly, proportionate prepping that suits your circumstances and your judgement as to what you need.
And whiny BeLeavers pile on and say "scaremongering ". If there is an option to shove it up their arses, that would give me a small amount of pleasure. Until the reality of a shitty situation looms back on the horizon.

Janista Thu 01-Aug-19 11:56:55

Sensible to start setting up this infrastructure. It will be needed after Brexit anyway with the new arrangements to be out in place, it's not wasted money.

Theworldisfullofgs Thu 01-Aug-19 12:02:29

It pretty much is. We've already contributed to this infrastructure being set up.

bellinisurge Thu 01-Aug-19 12:02:29

Don't be so fucking ridiculous @Janista . You live thousands of miles away and don't pay UK taxes. People who do live here and do pay UK taxes weren't allowed to vote in tbe referendum because they are EU citizens.
Until you start preface all your shit stirring posts with : "I'm in Australia ", you will get picked up on it.

Theworldisfullofgs Thu 01-Aug-19 12:06:21

Why are Australians so interested?

Why were they allowed to vote in the referendum but eu citizens weren't?

Crispmonster123 Thu 01-Aug-19 12:11:43

If they didn’t spend anything, you’d be moaning.

bellinisurge Thu 01-Aug-19 12:18:18

I'd rather the did what I have suggested: NI is a special economic zone and the border is in n the sea. Which would give us an orderly Brexit.
But the ERG and the DUP both wanted this fucking mess.

Cloudtree Thu 01-Aug-19 12:19:06

I'm a general prepper *@Cloudtree , I can't fucking wait to see the government campaign which tells people to do the things I have been suggesting for over a year now on here.*

As am I (although to a lesser extent I suspect but I was on the boards when we first got the topic set up). And so whilst I understand the feeling of needing to have a rant because we really didn't need to end up in this position , the reality is that we have ended up in this position. As such, the fact that the government is finally putting some money into this is a good thing. It needs a lot more though.

Quellium Thu 01-Aug-19 12:21:08

It. Doesn't. Need. To. Happen.

The waste of money is absolutely shameful and disgusting.

Angeliza Thu 01-Aug-19 12:21:57

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »